Post-Game Talk: 2017-18 Around the League Thread | Luca Sbisa, Stanley Cup Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is my last response as I don't wish to derail a thread as most people who engage in discussions(or passive aggressive arguments more commonly)here tend to do, but to put it simply I would say when it comes to extra round draft picks hes outperformed every other team that has been going through a rebuilding process since 2014.

Okay cool. I didn't see what thread we were in. Pop by the management thread and link me to your analysis when you get a chance.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tragedy has struck the family of another NHL player. Erik Karlsson and his wife Melinda have lost their infant son.

Jordan Staal's daughter died of SIDS at the end of February and now this tragedy befalls Erik and his wife.

No details have been released. The official word from the Senators is to please respect the needs of Erik and hist family to their privacy in their time of grief.

I am sure the hockey world all joins together with me to extend their deepest sympathies.

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Calgary Flames with no First, no Second, no Third in this draft. Pretty sure no 2nd in 2019.

They're f***ed.

Superstar winger in Gaudreau and an above average d-core will keep them as a team always competing for a playoff spot but not bad enough to get franchise players in the most critical positions.

A non play-driving 1C in Monahan says it all.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Calgary Flames with no First, no Second, no Third in this draft. Pretty sure no 2nd in 2019.

They're ****ed.

Superstar winger in Gaudreau and an above average d-core will keep them as a team always competing for a playoff spot but not bad enough to get franchise players in the most critical positions.

A non play-driving 1C in Monahan says it all.
Some people (even Flames fans) say that they never really tanked long enough...they're still short a couple of impact players?..A big disappointment has to be Sam Bennett taken 4th OA .

I don't think that they're f***ed..I think some tinkering and a new coach could get them in the playoffs next year..but I can never see them being a cup contender with their current core.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They need to trade one of the D for a few draft picks...

And I think Monahan Gio Gaudreau Hamilton is a fine core to win a cup with, as long as the support pieces are good enough amd or take a step forward. Jankowski bennett hamonic etc

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Calgary’s bottom 6 is absolute garbage.

Brouwer, Jankowski, Stewart, Stajan, Lazar, Hathaway.

Aint gonna make the playoffs with that.
Yikes. I thought Jankowski was having a solid season as a 3rd line center but he's been fed a lot of offensive zone starts and hasn't done much with it. Though I still think he's got some solid upside. Not much else there.

Another team that's completely shit the bed is NYI. Their defense is very suspect and they need goaltending badly. If Tavares walks, they're in big trouble. I'm not sure if Nelson's been playing center this year but if not, they could definitely use a match up center.

Last edited:

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
Yikes. I thought Jankowski was having a solid season as a 3rd line center but he's been fed a lot of offensive zone starts and hasn't done much with it. Though I still think he's got some solid upside. Not much else there.

Another team that's completely **** the bed is NYI. Their defense is very suspect and they need goaltending badly. If Tavares walks, they're in big trouble. I'm not sure if Nelson's been playing center this year but if not, they could definitely use a match up center.

Sutter for Ho-Sang

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
They need to trade one of the D for a few draft picks...

And I think Monahan Gio Gaudreau Hamilton is a fine core to win a cup with, as long as the support pieces are good enough amd or take a step forward. Jankowski bennett hamonic etc
Which is crazy considering they traded their future for dman Harmonic. Its just nuts

How are so many Canadian teams so mismanaged

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The thing is that they should've loaded up now since Gio isn't getting any younger.

That's another team that should've been in on Shipachyov.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It turns out building a team is hard.

A lot of our fanbase would have been drooling over some iteratons of their "prospect pool." Simply collecting prospects doesn't make you a good GM.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
GMs' offseason priorities: Rangers open to moving a... (probably locked athletic article)
BONUS ITEM: According to an NHL source, the Florida Panthers have been told that prospect Adam Mascherin won't be signing with them before the draft. If that remains the case, he would re-enter the draft where he would be an interesting prospect coming off a big season in Kitchener. He has 40 goals this season in 67 games. Mascherin was the Panthers second-round pick (No. 38 overall) in 2016, and GM Dale Tallon is now shopping him to try and get a return before the draft.

Huh, weird.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What a nightmare for Karlsson. Every parents worst nightmare.

He should pack it in for the season and just be with his wife.

What a brutal experience to go through.
I've been through it... but we had two kids already and counted our blessings.
It really tests your resolve as a couple.
On the flip side I've seen a miscarriage break two marriages as the trauma broke them apart instead of bringing them together.

They have some healing to do. If they have a lot family support, it might actually be very healthy for Karlsson mentally to return for few games. Everyone is different tho.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Mascherin is a legitimate prospect too. Was basically the 2016 Kole Lind. Would be a nice add for a team if they can pick him up for a low-ish draft pick.
With Benning being obsessed with acquiring young players instead of picks, this would actually be a decent target assuming he doesn't give up too much (which I know is hard for him). I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers acquire him since they have plenty of picks in the first three rounds.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
With Benning being obsessed with acquiring young players instead of picks, this would actually be a decent target assuming he doesn't give up too much (which I know is hard for him). I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers acquire him since they have plenty of picks in the first three rounds.
Now Im getting scared Benning will overpay for him. 2018 2nd and 2019 3rd for Mascerin incoming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad