2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It doesn't, I just don't see the Wild as a potent opponent. You have to beat the mediocre teams and credit to the Oilers for doing that, but let's not act like they beat the Preds or Kings.

Its important to prop up the vaguest sign of success here and act like its substantive. While ignoring the club is in 14th place, in a world of hurt in the standings, and that the schedule ahead is only getting harder.

The good news is at Christmas we can still think theres a chance. The worst seasons are the ones where the team is guaranteed out for 4-5mths although this one has been hard enough to take.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Oilers "Deserve" credit for being a 14th place team barely surviving a result against a club that played a poor game?

Well, that position is supposition and opinion. This org doesn't deserve a lot other than criticism generally speaking. Even a gift McD draft pick and a gift Talbot hasn't altered the path entirely.

Why is it important to others what one feels about any particular result or what this means to the teams fortunes. Is it that we deep in our hearts know this season is done that we need to hang on so dearly to the most tenuous W results to somehow think the team has "turned the corner" which we've been hearing for over a month?

Not even Connor McDavid feels that this team has really turned any corner. In his words; We might play well in a couple of games and then we come home and lay an egg"
against a team that had won 8 straight at home? yes

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its important to prop up the vaguest sign of success here and act like its substantive. While ignoring the club is in 14th place, in a world of hurt in the standings, and that the schedule ahead is only getting harder.

The good news is at Christmas we can still think theres a chance. The worst seasons are the ones where the team is guaranteed out for 4-5mths although this one has been hard enough to take.
We're 33 games in and the Oilers have yet to win back to back games in regulation. They also sport a .333 win% at home. Those two things alone should tell you all you need to know about this season.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
But its the same thing. The Oilers didn't ensure a result in either game. The Win or loss is not really flip sides of the coin. Its hockey bouncing the way it does if neither team really grabs the result. Its the Oilers playing a good enough game to maybe get results. Which given the Oilers position in the standings is not good enough. The Oilers need to be better than other teams the rest of the way, due to the position they are in. Playing well enough to win one, lose one, is clearly not good enough. I think you know what I'm saying.

ps I'm a purist. I have a higher expectation of teams. Getting scored on in the first shift of a game doesn't meet my criteria of a "great game", nor does padding a ton of easy shots meet it while trailing the game the entire way. Getting shutout is rarely a case of playing a great game. Much of the game could be considered a result of score effects. We faced a back up goalie and got shut out and lost. Is that really a great game?

Sorry the only thing I'm seeing here is a goalpost move. This discussion had nothing to do with the teams recent trends or shot at making the playoffs before this post.

It's also still just plain hypocrisy between the two paragraphs. You claim that the Oilers didn't play well enough to 'secure the win' against Toronto while simultaneously not giving them any credit for winning the game against Minnesota.

You don't get to have it both ways at your own convenience.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Oilers "Deserve" credit for being a 14th place team barely surviving a result against a club that played a poor game?

Well, that position is supposition and opinion. This org doesn't deserve a lot other than criticism generally speaking. Even a gift McD draft pick and a gift Talbot hasn't altered the path entirely.

Why is it important to others what one feels about any particular result or what this means to the teams fortunes. Is it that we deep in our hearts know this season is done that we need to hang on so dearly to the most tenuous W results to somehow think the team has "turned the corner" which we've been hearing for over a month?

Not even Connor McDavid feels that this team has really turned any corner. In his words; We might play well in a couple of games and then we come home and lay an egg"

What does being a 14th place team have to do with the Wild game in isolation?

It seems like your opinion on the value of the win is influenced by two things, your dislike of the Wild and the Oilers season as a whole.

The discussion is about this game, not the Oilers place in the standings. They played a good road game IMO against a team that was red hot at home. You think the Wild pretty much gave it to the Oilers and I see it differently. We can settle on agree to disagree, no?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry the only thing I'm seeing here is a goalpost move. This discussion had nothing to do with the teams recent trends or shot at making the playoffs before this post.

It's also still just plain hypocrisy between the two paragraphs. You claim that the Oilers didn't play well enough to 'secure the win' against Toronto while simultaneously not giving them any credit for winning the game against Minnesota.

You don't get to have it both ways at your own convenience.

Every post that gets made here is in the context of a 14th place club. It is for me.

I've explained myself fine. This is not actually a reply to what I stated. Its you continuing to state what you perceive about what I'm stating.

I'll ask you one yes or no question;

The Oilers need to ensure results and play better than opposition Consistently to get back in the race.

Whats your answer.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What does being a 14th place team have to do with the Wild game in isolation?

It seems like your opinion on the value of the win is influenced by two things, your dislike of the Wild and the Oilers season as a whole.

The discussion is about this game, not the Oilers place in the standings. They played a good road game IMO against a team that was red hot at home. You think the Wild pretty much gave it to the Oilers and I see it differently. We can settle on agree to disagree, no?

My opinion of the Oilers game is based on the team being 14th place and one would think a team that would be desperate enough to play consistently in games, play 60minutes, and ensure some results. All the Oilers are essentially doing a lot of is win one lose one.

I don't dislike the Wild. I dislike Chia, the depth he left here, and how this season has unfolded. Which continues to unfold pretty similarly. Around 15 games ago we were 3 games under Bettman 500. We are that now.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I've explained myself fine. This is not actually a reply to what I stated. Its you continuing to state what you perceive about what I'm stating.

I'll ask you one yes or no question;

The Oilers need to ensure results and play better than opposition Consistently to get back in the race.

Whats your answer.

Absolutely they do. Your position is not without merit in general.

I still don't really understand what this new point has to do with the post I originally quoted, but I'm more than willing to let it go from here.

Cheers. :)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My opinion of the Oilers game is based on the team being 14th place and one would think a team that would be desperate enough to play consistently in games, play 60minutes, and ensure some results. All the Oilers are essentially doing a lot of is win one lose one.

I don't dislike the Wild. I dislike Chia, the depth he left here, and how this season has unfolded. Which continues to unfold pretty similarly. Around 15 games ago we were 3 games under Bettman 500. We are that now.

None of which has to do with the Wild game in isolation. You're going on a rant that could go in one of the many "Oilers and Chia stink this season" threads. This discussion is about the win against the Wild, not the failure of the season or Chia's incompetence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
None of which has to do with the Wild game in isolation. You're going on a rant that could go in one of the many "Oilers and Chia stink this season" threads. This discussion is about the win against the Wild, not the failure of the season or Chia's incompetence.

Sometimes the discussion just occurs in a particular thread because the replies and discussion happen in that thread. I just made the one comment about the Wild-Hawks game and then a bunch of replies asking me what I meant. Should I ignore the replies?

cheers, also to you OXO and anybody else reading.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sometimes the discussion just occurs in a particular thread because the replies and discussion happen in that thread. I just made the one comment about the Wild-Hawks game and then a bunch of replies asking me what I meant. Should I ignore the replies?

cheers, also to you OXO and anybody else reading.

It was just a response to you saying that the Oilers beat the Wild because they were playing stinky hockey then it morphed into the season and Chia failures.

No biggie. We all have our different opinions and have articulated our points in a respectful manner so we can agree to disagree about the value of the Wild win and see each other again in one of the many "Oilers and Chia suck" threads. ;)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Without responding to anyone in particular.

Oilers played a good game against a very tough team that played well against them and was on a red hot streak. Not sure how anyone can really dispute that.

The Oilers, in general, have played far better than their record suggests. I have heard that from many fan bases and pundits around the league either before or after they play us. The last 5 games the Oilers have played legit good to great hockey and "should" have got more points, but there are factors in games that are out of control of the team, luck, injuries, bad goaltending performances, and refereeing for example.

Winning is of course what matters most but I think people have short selective memories on how bad the teams in the decade of darkness were in comparison to this team. Or how our current roster (when healthy) stacks up against the rest of the league. I know I didn't come out of many losses during that decade of darkness thinking "hmmm, the Oilers really should have won that one" on paper or effort. Not many games during that decade where we outshot, out chanced, and out played our opponents lost and could legitimately feel good about the level of hockey our team played. Most were straight up embarrassing losses where shame was felt from top to bottom.

The team we have right now is far far far better than the ones we have had for a long long time AND those that think just because we have McDavid in our line up that we should be winning cups/making the playoffs easily just don't understand how hockey works in todays NHL with the cap, systems, and parity.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The National Hockey League. Now with 20% more National.

Columbus at Boston @ 5 PM SNP, SNO, SNE, TVAS, NESN, FS-O
Anaheim at New Jersey @ 5 PM MSG+, KCOP-13
Los Angeles at Philadelphia @ 5 PM NHLN-US, NBCSP, FS-W
Pittsburgh at Colorado @ 7 PM ALT, ATTSN-PT

Reactions: LaGu

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Tell your boss that you're of the Leafs' religion and that you need the rest of the day to worship. They'll understand.

Carolina at Toronto @ Noon SNO (regional), FS-CR
Detroit at New York Islanders @ 5 PM MSG+, FS-D
Anaheim at New York Rangers @ 5 PM MSG, PRIME
Minnesota at Ottawa @ 5 PM TSN5, RDS, FS-N
Boston at Buffalo @ 5:30 PM SN, TVAS, NBCSN, NESN
Winnipeg at Nashville @ 6 PM FS-TN, TSN3
Washington at Dallas @ 6:30 PM FS-SW, NBCSWA+
Florida at Arizona @ 7 PM FS-A, FS-F
Montreal at Vancouver @ 8 PM SNP (regional), TSN2 (regional), RDS
Tampa Bay at Vegas @ 8 PM SN1, ATTSN-RM, SUN

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Ah, I hope Taylor Hall sees some playoff hockey this year.

I am still in doubt (or maybe awe)...

NJD scoring:
1. Hall
11 G 20 A
2. Rookie FWD (2016 162nd) 5'10'' Bratt
10 G 13 A
3. Rookie D (2013 123rd) 5'10'' Butcher
2 G 19 A
4. NHL reject FWD 5'8'' Gibbons
12 G 8 A
5. Hirscher
5 G 15 A
6. Miles Wood.....
9 G 6 A

They sure has changed the face of the team, but how they haven't crashed yet escapes me. Apart from Hall and Hirscher it would be a miracle if all Bratt, Butcher, Gibbons and Wood sustain this kind of scoring.

Reactions: Aerchon

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Darling is rather poor. Better start Ward next game, Canes.

really makes you realize that its not easy to make the jump from backup to starter. I know when Oilers were on the market for a goalie that there were lots of candidates out there that seemed poised to break through to starter status. Darling, Khudobin, Lehner, even Raanta in the seasons after. None of them have made the leap consistently. Makes you really appreciate what we have in Talbot.

Reactions: Del Preston

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
really makes you realize that its not easy to make the jump from backup to starter. I know when Oilers were on the market for a goalie that there were lots of candidates out there that seemed poised to break through to starter status. Darling, Khudobin, Lehner, even Raanta in the seasons after. None of them have made the leap consistently. Makes you really appreciate what we have in Talbot.
I think Lehner has actually been good for the Sabres but the team in front of him is trash.

But I do agree with your point.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I think Lehner has actually been good for the Sabres but the team in front of him is trash.

But I do agree with your point.
Actually I was thinking of Eddie Lack. He was the other big name out there that alot of people thought would make a good starter. Now the guy barely looks AHL quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad