GDT: 2017-10-05 - SEASON OPENER - Nashville at Boston - Game 1

How optimistic are you for the 2017-18 season?

• Oh, is it hockey season already?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something completely different.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Can't even touch the gloves with a stick without getting a slashing penalty. Such weak calls
That’s the point of the penalty. They don’t want players slashing the hands. Happened hundreds of times a game.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Y'know, the other thing I was interested in in watching this game was I wanted to see if McAvoy really was going to be "this year's Werenski" like so many people kept saying.

If this game is any indication - no, he's not. So very, very not. Good for a rookie but nowhere near that level.

Fluw

Oct 5, 2017
Toronto
That’s the point of the penalty. They don’t want players slashing the hands. Happened hundreds of times a game.
Well I know that but it just kills momentum and happens way too often, I mean I get it if the guy is taking lumberjack swings but what do I know.

Fluw

Oct 5, 2017
Toronto
Sorry for not being clear I just kinda lumped together heavy swings with larger impact which I guess isn't always true.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Well I know that but it just kills momentum and happens way too often, I mean I get it if the guy is taking lumberjack swings but what do I know.
It’s simple. Don’t do it. Keep the stick down low and you have no issues. Really this extra enforcement has essentially turned anything above the waist into a high stick.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We saw a very similar phenomenon after the 04-05 lockout. Players were called for all kinds of stick work that had previously been let go. Every team got tons of PP early... of course we had Kariya and Sully back them so we regularly took advantage... I'm old enough to remember when this team lived and died by the power play..

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Irwin is playing really bad.
He backs up while doubling as a screen for Peks and letting a B getting a clean shot off

Fluw

Oct 5, 2017
Toronto
It’s simple. Don’t do it. Keep the stick down low and you have no issues. Really this extra enforcement has essentially turned anything above the waist into a high stick.
I feel like it's easier said than done for a lot of players, just used to being able to get away with light taps and the like which they will definitely have to adapt to at some point otherwise from the only other game I watched, Leafs-Jets and how this game is going special teams will be the ultimate deciding factor in each game which I guess does increase goal scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad