2016 World Junior Discussion (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

No.. I am saying this because he has been ok during this tournament.

Also when watching him, he is so small, he shy's away from puck battles, he can't get into high scoring area's unless he has space which he won't have in the NHL.

In Junior, when I watch him he toys with them all, but he has a lot of space.

Isnt that what they said about Gaudreau. Elite skilled players find a way through.
are we just to ignore Marner's shiftness, puck skills, IQ, effort. Those are all high end for him

No need to get into hindsight and saying we should have drafted that guy

91Kadri91*

The Finns look utterly dominant and on another level aside from being down 2-1. Laine and Puljuharvi look fantastic, so do Juolevi, and man Sebastian Aho is a fantastic puck handler. Too bad we couldn't have drafted him in the second round last year.

:skeptic:

Are you watching a different game?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner's done well overall given that it's historically been a tournament dominated by 19 year olds. This year seems like the abnormal because of all the draft eligible players killing it - can't say the last time I've ever seen that from this many draft eligible players. But that doesn't change history, and doesn't make Marner any worse of a prospect.

Add in how bad his line mates and team Canada as a whole as been .. I'm not disappointed but I'm not salivating over it either. I'd like to see more but he hasn't been disappointing.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Canada still has more to give if all their lines were working.

Marner wasn't very good, which means he should step up in this 2nd. period.

Need the best from everyone and they haven't given it yet.

Nothing short of the very best is all we need to win. Question is, do they have it in them? :dunno:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol at making judgements on a tournament

I still take Marner over those 2 thank you very much

Hannifin and Provorov are pretty sweet picks tbh. Provorov is making a big impact. Essentially won the game for Russia earlier. (Rush and pass)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
okay. let's be fair.

You do make "judgements" in tournaments like these. (ie: draft eligables, how they play etc). You shouldn't, but that's neither here or there.

now honestly, I am raising an eyebrow at people who are using 4-5 games to base judgement on whom we should or shouldn't have drafted. If we had drafted Strome and Marner was having the tournament of his life would we be like "ohooo shoulda drafted Marner?"

but it is seriously making me raise an eyebrow with some of the comments.
Ummm yes I think that is what would end up happening. You admit that people make judgments but are surprised that they make...judgments?

I don't know why people are constantly shocked that people develop opinions in time frames less than 10 years. Whether people admit to having them or not, opinions form a lot sooner than that.

The drafting this is eyebrow raising, but frankly so is the insane counter force. If you insinuate that Marner isn't constantly the best player on the ice you be lynched. What is the point of being that insanely defensive? Apparently you can't be both happy we drafted the guy and say he hasn't been the best guy on the ice for both countries in every game.

Let's just have some fun watching team Canada play.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Im making my judgement on the whole tournament. He hasnt been great, that is for sure. He has been underwhelming, to be honest.

Unfortunately for Marner some of that is based on fan expectation.

Marner has been okay and still among Canada's best players, however he was expected to be among the best players in the tournament.

Marner being up there in tournament scoring leaders with the likes of the young Fins is what expectations were going in.

mikebel111*

okay. let's be fair.

You do make "judgements" in tournaments like these. (ie: draft eligables, how they play etc). You shouldn't, but that's neither here or there.

now honestly, I am raising an eyebrow at people who are using 4-5 games to base judgement on whom we should or shouldn't have drafted. If we had drafted Strome and Marner was having the tournament of his life would we be like "ohooo shoulda drafted Marner?"

but it is seriously making me raise an eyebrow with some of the comments.

I believe Strome has looked a little better than Marner, and Mitch had a bad 1st

But people as expected making it a big time deal when not required

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I suppose - thinking back to the Leafs Lunch show just before the tournament if you thought Marner would totally dominate the tournament - I suppose he's been underwhelming.

But I think he's been decent. I didn't think he would "dominate" over anyone, I think he's still not "built" for that yet. But he's not been "underwhelming." he's had some not so good periods, but he gets better as the game goes on - that's important.

he's getting a lot of touches on the puck, and I don't think his linemate juggling helps him at all. He's been really good defensively, (and physical when needed, see that massive hit).

but then again - this is literally, like the 7th game or something I've seen this kid play. I don't watch junior or anything. so maybe i'm missing something that people see him more can catch.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Marner had a bad period

I guess its time to start making judgements by that period, and starting saying we should have drafted this and that guy over Marner

Some people sheesh

The thing about Marner is we have this ritual of disappointment more often than not on here when it comes to non OHL scoring. "It's one period, one game, one tournament, one camp."

There's no reason to be giving up on him or to say we should have drafted someone else, but he hasn't really been doing anything of note outside the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad