2016 World Junior Discussion (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Yeah Marner had a bad period

I guess its time to start making judgements by that period, and starting saying we should have drafted this and that guy over Marner

Some people sheesh

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It is still very early for him, he is still developing etc. But right now I think we should have drafted Sttrome or Provorov. Again this is the way I feel right at this moment. I still like Marner, just saying this based on what I have seen so far at this tournament. Hope I am wrong.

We didnt have the opportunity to draft Strome.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Watching that replay of the Finland goal .. Strome had a weak effort in the corner to battle for that puck, he just coasted there. Could have helped prevent that pass that led to the shot

mikebel111*

I really feel we should have solidified our D longterm and take Hanifin last year, as we knew there were a ton of high end forwards coming up in the next few drafts and we would be picking high.

I feel better with Nylander, Rielly and Hanifin as our future core with a high end forward joining us this draft, rather than now trying to draft D just because we need it.

Marner is BPA over Hanifin

Are you just saying this because Marner had a bad period?

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

I guess its time to start making judgements by that period, and starting saying we should have drafted this and that guy over Marner

Some people sheesh

No kidding.

People need to see him against top competition in the OHL too. He makes them look stupid.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I really feel we should have solidified our D longterm and take Hanifin last year, as we knew there were a ton of high end forwards coming up in the next few drafts and we would be picking high.

I feel better with Nylander, Rielly and Hanifin as our future core with a high end forward joining us this draft, rather than now trying to draft D just because we need it.

And if they go forward again with their top pick.....we riot, right?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
last game marner was right there for player of game strome played horrible...y does everyone look at points to determine everything

out of 10 stromes been 8 marner 7

plus remember drouin? wheres he? AHL again

this wjc isnt end all be all

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Some people sheesh

Im making my judgement on the whole tournament. He hasnt been great, that is for sure. He has been underwhelming, to be honest.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Marner is BPA over Hanifin

Are you just saying this because Marner had a bad period?

No.. I am saying this because he has been ok during this tournament.

Also when watching him, he is so small, he shy's away from puck battles, he can't get into high scoring area's unless he has space which he won't have in the NHL.

In Junior, when I watch him he toys with them all, but he has a lot of space.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Laine and Pujaravi seem to be on par with Mathews in term of size and skill, i would even say they have a higher upside being a lot younger.

Hopefully we can pickup one of these kids...

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Watching that replay of the Finland goal .. Strome had a weak effort in the corner to battle for that puck, he just coasted there. Could have helped prevent that pass that led to the shot

Exactly. Coasted to the corner, which was unnecessary, and left a man wide open in the high slot.

Edit: To be fair, he may not have actually been coasting. That's close to his top speed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lol at making judgements on a tournament

I still take Marner over those 2 thank you very much

okay. let's be fair.

You do make "judgements" in tournaments like these. (ie: draft eligables, how they play etc). You shouldn't, but that's neither here or there.

now honestly, I am raising an eyebrow at people who are using 4-5 games to base judgement on whom we should or shouldn't have drafted. If we had drafted Strome and Marner was having the tournament of his life would we be like "ohooo shoulda drafted Marner?"

but it is seriously making me raise an eyebrow with some of the comments.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
last game marner was right there for player of game strome played horrible...y does everyone look at points to determine everything

out of 10 stromes been 8 marner 7

plus remember drouin? wheres he? AHL again

this wjc isnt end all be all

Horrible spelling aside, you're correct on your points.

People focus so much on the short-term and one period, they completely forget everything else.

It's pretty amazing actually.

91Kadri91*

Im making my judgement on the whole tournament. He hasnt been great, that is for sure. He has been underwhelming, to be honest.

In your opinion, which is based on absolutely nothing.

Thanks for your contribution.

mikebel111*

Actually he has been decent. Marner has met my expectations so far considering everything

Also I dont believe Marner has been on for a GA so far in this tournament
what a stud. I think we made the right pick!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We need the next goal! This is mandatory. Our team's confidence could be shattered if Finland ties it up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Laine and Pujaravi seem to be on par with Mathews in term of size and skill, i would even say they have a higher upside being a lot younger.

Hopefully we can pickup one of these kids...

The Finns look utterly dominant and on another level aside from being down 2-1. Laine and Puljuharvi look fantastic, so do Juolevi, and man Sebastian Aho is a fantastic puck handler. Too bad we couldn't have drafted him in the second round last year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Canada still has more to give if all their lines were working.

Marner wasn't very good, which means he should step up in this 2nd. period.

Need the best from everyone and they haven't given it yet.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
shotsroundrobin.0.png

He's actually doing OK - the puck is just not going in. \

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/1/2/10700866/2016-wjc-round-robin-by-the-numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad