World Cup: 2016 World Cup-Team Finland II

Dris

Feb 22, 2014
Helsinki
That as the third line would IMO be alright. Easy matchups and they should do fine.

The issue is that Finland doesn't have enough material to have 2 solid lines. Even the "incredible" Koivu-Granlund-Donskoi line is composed of one low to mid tier first liner and 2 low to mid tier second liners.

But well, Barkov's line is already the third line so

Is Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi by the way....and that was perhaps the better line against Sweden

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Is Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi by the way....and that was perhaps the better line against Sweden

No, they were not good against Sweden. Actually that line was broken down during the game and isnt not playing together vs Russia.

Dris

Feb 22, 2014
Helsinki
No, they were not good against Sweden. Actually that line was broken down during the game and isnt not playing together vs Russia.

Well, everybody is entitled to have an opinion...I think the change of lines was more a desperate way to see if they could get something different... I personally like for instance the way Teravainen responded

Curious to see the lines today....I think they will play thinking more about building for the future...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
My puck action stats for Finland vs Sweden(Amount of actions in total, % of good actions):

Granlund: 45, 75.56%
Koivu: 31, 70.97%
Donskoi: 36, 52.78%

Jokinen: 36, 66.67%
Filppula: 28, 67.86%
Komarov: 26, 96.15%

Laine: 52, 75.00%
Barkov: 43, 95.35%
Aho: 43, 60.05%

Korpikoski: 24, 54.17%
Lehterä: 20, 85.00%
Teräväinen: 33, 78.79%

Last edited:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Just get out without injuries. No need to be stupid just because. Tourney over.

That said, I expect a 98% effort just for the jersey, even if there's definitely no chance of advancing, and possibly not a full belief in the coach (who hasn't earned it yet). But those one or two factors are indeed likely to keep it from being a 100% effort. Which would be fine by me.

And it would be kind of fun to be hated by all the NA fans. :naughty:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For those statistics I posted above, the most surprising thing to me was that Komarov was so high. He only had 1 poor action all game. This was after he was relatively unreliable in the last game. It goes to show you that the day's form is very important.

I guess another thing would be how few actions Koivu had with the puck. That's not exactly fit for a first line center. And of course, Barkov's %s in comparison... Someone tell me why Koivu is #1 C.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Right.

Pokka/Lindell were mistake players for this tournament. Should have brought the KHL cronies from MM-kisat.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Right.

Pokka/Lindell were mistake players for this tournament. Should have brought the KHL cronies from MM-kisat.
That's not possible. It's a joke tourney and I'm glad we are eliminating one of the gimmicks.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
That's not possible. It's a joke tourney and I'm glad we are eliminating one of the gimmicks.

We have Lepisto in there and he is doing just fine.

Pokka completely laid an egg on 0-2

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
KukkosLasse probably would have been on the team if he wasn't injured.

Since the rest of the tournament will be out of sight (not on free tv) and therefore out of minds, this will be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm so mad at Marjamaki and our vets, pathetic, brutal tourney by them.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I expected us to lose every game but I didn't see us scoring just 1 goal. Embarrassing.

Hard to score if you cant leave your own zone.

Only time we got the puck was 2v3ing the corners. If half the D can't exit the zone under forecheck, then you ll spend the game in the own end.

Bad matchup D => own zone time

Bad puckmoving D => can't exit the zone.

We could have had mestis forwards, wouldn't make any difference...

p.s. Vatanen 5 mil contract... top50 D in the league? Yea, not even close.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
The golden era is truly upon us!!! Get the f out with that stuff

Expected that Finland would lose all games and they did. Looking at this roster how can anyone be surprised? The D looks awful and the offence has no firepower, great combination right there. Now things could be nice and dandy if it were the World Championships but this is not a tournament where teams send their B/C squads. That being said, Finland could have been better, 1 goal in 3 games is hilarious

Right now the team is in transition. The vets are not that good and the youngsters, who are really promising, are either not playing or just not ready to make a difference at this level.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I'm not much worried about this tournament, it was just about 2-4 years too early for us. And it was bit silly to start with a new coach in a (kind of) best on best tournament - he was bound to need more time to adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad