World Cup: 2016 World Cup-Team Finland II

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Coaches ego goes ahead of team success, forget this tournament, only hope for individual improvements, especially by the youngsters.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Aho with Barkov and Laine looked kind of ok offensively. Late in a pre-game being 0-3 down against a team that stopped trying. Defensively it was almost as painful as anticipated.

I like it as a hail Mary type of move, but I absolutely wouldn't go starting with it.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Aho with Barkov and Laine looked kind of ok offensively. Late in a pre-game being 0-3 down against a team that stopped trying. Defensively it was almost as painful as anticipated.

I like it as a hail Mary type of move, but I absolutely wouldn't go starting with it.

Of course not, better use a line that don´t work... Laine-Barkov-Aho has everything, but they are SO young that you just can´t play them, even if they are the best line :cry:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Executives need to place an assistant coach in absolute control of the PP composition. Or fire head coach prior to tournament start.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
So Aho likely taking Teravainen's spot on the first game of the tournament at least?

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
As an expert and a journalist I am going to post my stars of every player in the game. The stars come from my own expectation I had for the players before the game and how they played compared to that.

Barkov + (Wonder if he got a bit ingured last game vs sweden)
Laine +++ ( would've been +++ even without the goal)
Aho +++ (wow)
Lehterä --
Filppula ++
Koivu -
Granlund +
Vatanen ++ ( he was playing like he used to, motor of the pp)
Ristolainen +++
Määttä - ( many very good plays but also many very bad plays)
Komarov +
Haula +
Korpikoski +
Jokinen --
Rinne ++
Lindell -
Lepistö +++ (why doesn't this guy play in the nhl? Really surprised me)
Jokipakka - ( today too many mistakes )
Donskoi -- ( really disapointed so far )

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Wouldn't Jesse Puljujärvi be as good or better than at least 2 or 3 of the forwards currently on the Finnish roster?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Wouldn't Jesse Puljujärvi be as good or better than at least 2 or 3 of the forwards currently on the Finnish roster?

IMO, yes. He's on the same plain as Matthews and Laine. Of course, Jarmo obviously doesn't feel that way.

I really wish we had more insight into Jarmo's views of Pulju. And no offense CBJ fans, I'm kind of cheering for Pulju to make Jarmo look really bad.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
As an expert and a journalist I am going to post my stars of every player in the game. The stars come from my own expectation I had for the players before the game and how they played compared to that.

Barkov + (Wonder if he got a bit ingured last game vs sweden)
Laine +++ ( would've been +++ even without the goal)
Aho +++ (wow)
Lehterä --
Filppula ++
Koivu -
Granlund +
Vatanen ++ ( he was playing like he used to, motor of the pp)
Ristolainen +++
Määttä - ( many very good plays but also many very bad plays)
Komarov +
Haula +
Korpikoski +
Jokinen --
Rinne ++
Lindell -
Lepistö +++ (why doesn't this guy play in the nhl? Really surprised me)
Jokipakka - ( today too many mistakes )
Donskoi -- ( really disapointed so far )
Lepisto ex-NHL player

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Another post made me think: Laine - Barkov - Aho, Maatta - Risto

What is the average age of that? Crazy young first line for a realistic #1 unit of a big country in a best on best tournament.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Does not look good for us. After watching every one of our exhibition games I think it's pretty obvious that our D is either the worst or the second worst in the tournament. Everyone except Risto is struggling. That combined with the fact that we have ONE (1!!) forward on the roster that scored 20 goals in the NHL last season and that Leo Komarov appears to be our second best NHL goalscorer means that we can't really score goals either. Our goalscoring basically comes down to Barkov, Laine and hoping for rebounds to score some ugly goals. And with Laine being by far the youngest player in the tournament I don't think it's very fair to expect him to carry our offense.

Once again the only area where this team is solid is goaltending and I'm afraid that that alone won't take us very far this time. Sweden, Canada, USA, Russia, hell even team NA are all just so loaded with top level talent that I have very little faith we'll make the medal games. Anything can happen I guess but that's just how I feel.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
IMO, yes. He's on the same plain as Matthews and Laine. Of course, Jarmo obviously doesn't feel that way.

I really wish we had more insight into Jarmo's views of Pulju. And no offense CBJ fans, I'm kind of cheering for Pulju to make Jarmo look really bad.

The head coach is also the coach of Puljus Liiga team. I think he had a pretty good idea whether or not Pulju should be in the games.

I probably would have brought him in though and left out one of the older guys like Korpikoski. It's not like this tournament matters too much, and it's very important to give young players the opportunity to play against the best so they can adjust and learn what it takes on that level.

Finland won't win anything with that defense either, it's too soon for many of our D. Maatta was surprisingly bad, and as much as I want to see Jokipakka succeed, he makes too many mistakes for this level. Pokka was already replaced with Lepisto. Lepisto is better today, but might as well give Pokka the opportunity to learn through mistakes.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

You need to cheer real hard, harder than the Finnish or Albertan hyped or use one of your three wishes.

54 percent puck possession. Numerous lag zone delayed starts according to the Leading One in the first period alone. Seems like a path destined to winning gold if JJ Pakka and other stop instinctively choosing the vertical route. I think it is bit harsh to not look behind results when speaking of 'meidän peli' brand of ice hockey.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You need to cheer real hard, harder than the Finnish or Albertan hyped or use one of your three wishes.

54 percent puck possession. Numerous lag zone delayed starts according to the Leading One in the first period alone. Seems like a path destined to winning gold if JJ Pakka and other stop instinctively choosing the vertical route. I think it is bit harsh to not look behind results when speaking of 'meidän peli' brand of ice hockey.

I really have no clue what you just said. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why not? It's working for North America.

They have between them less than 200 NHL games. All of them are Barkov's. We'd be playing our WJC top line, only with Barkov substituting Pulju. Then we could play them in the next WJC again, sans Barkov.

People would be talking.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
If our kids line's (defenders included, Määttä, Ristolainen) average age is 20, I wonder if NA U23 team had any line younger than that or did we actually have the youngest line of the tournament. Assuming the line stays together, will be really fun to see how they will do against the NA U23 team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They have between them less than 200 NHL games. All of them are Barkov's. We'd be playing our WJC top line, only with Barkov substituting Pulju. Then we could play them in the next WJC again, sans Barkov.

People would be talking.

That as the third line would IMO be alright. Easy matchups and they should do fine.

The issue is that Finland doesn't have enough material to have 2 solid lines. Even the "incredible" Koivu-Granlund-Donskoi line is composed of one low to mid tier first liner and 2 low to mid tier second liners.

But well, Barkov's line is already the third line so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad