World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't think Mcdavid will make a World Cup or Olympic team this soon into his career. Maybe for 2020/2022 not 2016 or 2018.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Thank you for the compliment, Mr. Writer. You and Jack Slater and KevyD are the guys I most enjoy reading on these forums.

I don't mean to be brutal or unjust to anyone at Hockey Canada (though I am opinionated). But I don't think Salmond and Pascall have Canadian hockey's best interests at heart. They strike me as careerists who only want what is best for themselves. Of course, we all have to look out for ourselves. But they're unable to grasp that Hockey Canada should be bigger than building your own personal fiefdom wherein you get to make decisions you have no business making about player personnel matters or anything else. If Canadian hockey is successful, that will reflect well on them, personally and professionally. But they can't seem to clue into that.

As I've said on other occasions, I don't see any NHL clubs banging down the doors to get Nicholson, Salmond and Pascall to join their front office.

Salmond's cockeyed ideas prior to the 2013 WJCHs in Ufa were embarrassing. I'd also be curious to know whose bright idea it was to select Steve Spott to coach the team. That's just bad managerial practice, and Canada can't have that when there is so much international competition and when the Americans are bringing in talented people with real professional skills in an effort to knock Canada off.

Why Salmond and Pascall are in the positions they are is beyond me. It's politics. The sort of politics that allowed Hayley Wickenheiser to get away with being a playing-coach and assistant-GM for the women's team. I was very happy Canada won in Sochi, but something inside me tells me that those 2 gold medals will be used to justify the current regime.

And the changes that need to be made won't be made.

There is something about HC's current structure which reminds me a little of MLSE in the early 2000s and the hiring of JFJ as GM in 2003..."puppet GM" somebody the board can manipulate. But that is just me..

but yes, they are careerists - bureaucrats...Pascall at least played hockey at an elite level so I cut him some slack...the other one though??? I can't see him bringing much to the table and has nothing to offer other than his dinner lamps.

I was shocked last year where when Sutter said in an interview that he had to sit down with "Scott" to go over the roster...why he needed his input is beyond me..and apparently he plays a role in player selection and has since 2010. I was disappointed of course with the result in Malmo, but before the tournament I was pleased at least they were trying a new approach.

I wish Al Murray would come back.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
2016 WC:

Stamkos-Crosby-MacKinnon
Hall-Tavares-Giroux
Couture-Toews-Bergeron
Benn-Getzlaf-Perry
Duchene Carter

Keith-Weber
Vlasic-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Subban
Murray Alzner

Price
Crawford
Bernier

Best player who didn't make team for me was Seguin.

getwiththeprogram*

There is something about HC's current structure which reminds me a little of MLSE in the early 2000s and the hiring of JFJ as GM in 2003..."puppet GM" somebody the board can manipulate. But that is just me..

but yes, they are careerists - bureaucrats...Pascall at least played hockey at an elite level so I cut him some slack...the other one though??? I can't see him bringing much to the table and has nothing to offer other than his dinner lamps.

I was shocked last year where when Sutter said in an interview that he had to sit down with "Scott" to go over the roster...why he needed his input is beyond me..and apparently he plays a role in player selection and has since 2010. I was disappointed of course with the result in Malmo, but before the tournament I was pleased at least they were trying a new approach.

I wish Al Murray would come back.

I wish he would, too. But I think Murray saw the writing on the wall, saw the direction things were headed at HC, and saw better opportunities elsewhere. It's people like Murray and Ralph Krueger - not the Salmond, Pascall and Nicholson types - who will keep Canada strong in the future. Maybe the problem resides higher than Nicholson, though. Maybe the reason Nicholson is still there is because he can be controlled more readily than someone with more to offer.

If that's the case, then it's sad.

I feel bad for the players, the fans, the minor hockey volunteers, and the coaches at the minor hockey level who go into coaching for the right reasons. They deserve better leadership than what they get.

A couple good weeks in Sochi doesn't reverse some of the troubling trends that have emerged under Nicholson's watch.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So here's my guess at the World Cup 2016 roster: That means that there are two full NHL seasons ahead before the tournament starts. (and three playoffs)

Goaltenders: Carey Price, Jonathan Bernier, Roberto Luongo

(Crawford, Harding, S.Mason, Fleury, Smith, Reimer, Holtby, Elliott) Anyone of those 8 other goalies might be able to make the team. Especially Crawford, Fleury, Smith, and Holtby IMO.

Defencemen: Duncan Keith, P.K. Subban, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber, Alex Pietrangelo, Dion Phaneuf, Brent Seabrook, Kris Letang

(Giordano, Murray, M.Staal, Vlasic, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Green)

*Honestly, I believe that Letang will get better with time and finally deserves the spot on the team. I kinda think that Phaneuf and Seabrook are just made for NHL ice and if they both are at a bit better, or even similar level, they should be on the team, imo. Next, there might be some young players that play their names into the discussion (Murray, D.Hamilton, Murphy, Rielly)

Forwards: That's really tough. I decided to make 3 posts about it, each one about one single position. So, let's start with left wingers:

Forwards: LEFT WINGERS:

• Milan Lucic - He's just the kind of player that I would love to watch on NHL ice, with the best canadian players. Big, agressive, energy player, totally fits as 4th line grinder. But the amount of great players is going to be even greater than it was in 2010 or in 2014, so....I don't think he will make the team. But, he would be no liability for sure.

- Another players with a similar type of role that could play their name into consideration - M.Foligno, B.Gallagher, C.Kunitz, A.Ladd, E.Kane

• Jamie Benn - He's a no-brainer today, imo. He and Getzlaf and Perry could create devastating 3rd or 4th line together if playing on NHL ice. I'm pretty sure that Benn is going to get a lot of votes from fans for the making of 2016 World Cup roster.

• Jeff Skinner - He's a great skater, and looks like a solid shooter too. He's only 21 years old, and looks very promising for the future. In Canada, where players like Duchene, Thornton, and even Giroux can be left of easily, Skinner is certainly not a hot candidate, but who knows, the next 2 seasons will tell.

• Taylor Hall - Well, he's a point-scorer machine in Edmonton, and with a bit upgraded level of defensive abilities, he could be considered as one of the best offensive weapons Canada has to offer in 2016. His scoring abilities, hockey IQ, and his overall style of hockey could be on a quite better level in two years, and if that is the case, he should be on the team, imo.
  • Patrick Marleau - He will be 36, but still might play on a high level. He has had a success with Team Canada, and if his statistics, abilities and his speed remain the same, he could be a dark-horse to make the roster, even though it will be hard, because of the great depth and new-coming talent.
  • Patrick Sharp - Kind of similar player to Marleau, but 2 years younger. He's won 2 Stanley Cups and has an olympic gold now, so if he has another great play-off run, he could be heavily considered as the 4th line grinder for the team, as he could play whenever you need because of his versatility. Don't forget that the World Cup would be played on NHL ice, and Sharp's had a lot of success on it.

• Jaden Schwartz - Much like Jeff Skinner, he's a talented, young player, with a solid looking future in the NHL. Two seasons and three possible play-off runs are enough for a young, developing player like that to get better and show the world that he's a player worthy of Team Canada discussion. Let's wait and see.

My take: I think that only 2 or 3 left wingers will make Team Canada, and in my case those two are are Jamie Benn and Taylor Hall. The third could be Patrick Sharp. It depends on how many centers will be playing good hockey at the time. When you look at all the names that can possibly play at a high level....Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Giroux, Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon, McDavid...

Forwards: RIGHT WINGERS:

• Corey Perry - The depth on the right side is great, and it could be even greater in 2016. That is something what makes Perry a bubble player for now. But he is the kind of player that fits very well into the NHL style of hockey. He's strong, he can be physical, he can score and his presence in front of the net is really not liked among the teams he plays against. And that is for a reason. If Perry plays a good hockey in next two seasons, he will be one of the hot candidates for the World Cup team. The next possible 3 play-off runs will be as much important and can eventually help or hurt his chances.

• Rick Nash - He's a Team Canada man. He's definitely going to be under the radar. And for good reasons in my opinion. He's been always solid, if not great, for Canada. His skillset is unique and I think he doesn't even have to score 50 goals per season to make the roster. It will be interesting, if he manages to score over 40 in the Rangers though as it would certainly help him.

• Jordan Eberle - To be honest, I really wish we could see Eberle playing on a big stage for Canada once again, but, it will be very hard for him to crack that 2016 team. He could do a lot in next two seasons and move forward in canada's depth-chart. As of now, he's certainly a long-shot rather than a bubble-player. The similar statement could be used for Jonathan Drouin, the future playmaker for Stamkos in Tampa Bay. He has yet to play a game in the NHL, but we can't completely writte him off and say that he has no chance. Even though, he would have to score 85-90 points or something like that to be in a consideration for a scoring-line role on TC.

Another similar player to Eberle, and Drouin, is Martin St.Louis, who could still be on a list by the time. Certainly only one of these three will make the team. Maybe not even one.

• James Neal - James Neal could easily make a Russian or American best national team, no doubt about it. And if he continues to score a lot of goals, he's certainly will be under the radar in 2016. But it would help him a lot, if he got better at his overall play. Offensively, he should be definitely one of the best canada's players in 2016.

• Brent Burns - looks like a good fit for the typical canadian style of hockey. He's strong, relatively fast, can score, can play hard and in front of the net where the big d-men are no problem for him. He's a bit similar to Lucic I guess. And as well as Lucic, Burns could be a potential 4th liner for me. Right now, Jeff Carter would be Canada's choice in that similar kind of role for Team Canada. But in 2 years, who knows.

• Jeff Carter - A great forechecking player with solid scoring-touch, physical, and is not afraid to play where it hurts. I think that it's a big accomplishment for any canaidna player to make two top canadian teams in a row, and Carter could be one of those players. Of course, it will depend a lot on how he plays the next two seasons. But, as well as Patrick Sharp, Carter has had success in the playoffs, and if he continues to do that, he will be one of those players mentioned pretty often when it comes to making the canadian world cup team.

My take: In my opinion, four is the absolute highest number of RW-ers nominated to the team. But considering the fact that there will be many centers in discussion who might play on right side (Stamkos, Giroux, Seguin), I rather think that the number will be 2 or 3. For me, it's Perry, Neal, and Nash or Carter.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
CENTERS: (Part I.)

• Ryan Getzlaf - given that he was good this time around and he was shining in Vancouver, plus he's playing one of if not the best NHL season right now, he looks like a very solid bet for either 3th line or 4th line spot. You probably won't find a similar center in Canada, or in the World for that matter. He's strong, can score and make perfect passes, don't lack speed or defensive quality. He can be really a perfect, totally perfect power-forward and 3rd-line center, especially on NHL ice.

• Patrice Bergeron - as history has shown, he's a great universal player. So there is a possibility he could make the team as a winger or 13th forward again. He's still in his prime and there is no reason to think that his play will drastically drop in the next 24 or 26 months. But the amount of great talent up the middle is scary. Nugent-Hopkins. McDavid. MacKinnon. Duchene. Seguin. Giroux. Yeah. There are 2 another full seasons before the team is picked, so there is certainly a chance, that RNH, Duchene, Seguin, and MacKinnon will be a lot better then they are now. McDavid will have only one season behind him, but who knows. If he makes 90-100 points, he will be in the discussion for sure. Now you get that it won't be an easy time for Bergeron to play himself onto the team again. Especially when you already have defensive-minded players like Toews or power-forwards like Getzlaf who could also play as a 4th line center.

• Eric Staal - one of those great all-star players, that will probably play at wing if making the team. He needs a strong season to make it, IMO. He's a good combination of creativity, shooting ability, speed, versatility, energy-style of play, solid defence, and good leadership. Even though he didn't make the Sochi olympic team, he for sure will be strongly considerate for a spot on the 2016 World Cup roster, unless something unexpected happens.

• Jordan Staal - he's really in a shadow now, and not many are talking about him with relation to next olympic or world cup team. But he's just 25 y.o. and things could be different in two years. It's not that long time ago (in 2011-12) when he scored 25 goals and 50 points in only 62 games in Pittsburgh. In the same playoffs season, he scored 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games. Jordan is a long shot now. But, who knows, he might be a potential 4th liner soon. Two and a half seasons are a long time for a player to play his name back into the discussion.

• Jonathan Toews - Talking about 4th liners, here's another player, whose on ice qualities would fit very well right here at that position. When we're mentioning names like Bergeron, Toews, E.Staal, Getzlaf, Carter, J.Staal, Sharp...you would think that one of them could easily end as a winger on one of higher offensive lines. Maybe it could be Toews, as he could play a defensive and power-forward type of a game on a wing, with a more offensive duo. Maybe with Crosby or Tavares? In Sochi, he played with Getzlaf and Perry on PP. Not exactly a successful powerplays if you ask me. But on NHL ice, things will be different and this line could eventually end up together again. To tell you the truth, I feel better with him playing the center position again, we will see.

• Ryan Johansen - two months before the possible tournament, Ryan Johansen will celebrate his birthday. And he will be 23 only. Now, in his 21, he's on pace for 33 goals and 64 points. Too early to tell something about his chances. But he has the potential to at least come really close to crack the team. Theoretically, he could battle for a spot with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It's really hard to predict. Try predicting the 2014 team two years ago. You can't. And no one had Benn, Duchene, Vlasic, Hamhuis on it. Among others. So expect some surprises.

I will say this, a lot depends on the coaching too. Whoever will coach has a lot to do with the selection process. They won't want a passenger on the team. This is why a guy like Taylor Hall may not make it. He has some growing up to do, some maturing. He is still a turnover machine in the NHL. 2014 didn't turn the puck over at all and it wasn't as if they weren't playing a high octane style either. But they were still smart.

2016 will be on NHL ice. So this means Giroux has a much better shot now. He'll be 28 by then. Crosby, Toews are locks. Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf and Perry will be 31. Not old, but don't be shocked if a youngster replaces some of them. Nash will be 32. For the record Eric Staal will be almost 32 by then if he wants to get his shot back to make the team. Seguin will be right in his prime by 2016 and might be a pleasure to watch. Tavares as well will be even better on NHL ice.

I would think Subban would have a better role by then. A lot depends on Letang as well and Seabrook. There can be some championships by then that could influence the decision. The only forwards from 2014 that I will say are for sure not on the team in 2016 are Marleau and St. Louis. Too old. Heck, Nash at 32 might get passed over.

Lastly, the only thing that makes me a little nervous is the goaltending after Price. Right now he's your #1 man of course. But Luongo will be 37 by then and you can never really tell what phase Fleury will be in by then. Even the solid picks like Crawford or Ward will be 32 by then. Not old, but since there aren't a lot of can't-miss goalies for Canada in the future I can't see a lot of optimism after Price.

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park
Just cause where Canadian

Hall - Crosby - Tavares
Mackkinon - Nugent-Hopkins - Stamkos
Duchene - Seguin - Drouin
Couture - McDavid - Eberle
Reinhart Toews

Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Ekblad - Weber
Schultz Nurse

Price
Bernier
Subban

Nurse? Schultz? Reinhart? RNH? Drouin? Ekblad? these guys while good young players will never crack Canada's senior team within 2 years, zero chance there's just way too much depth and better options to pick from in Canada. They are Canada's future core but that's like 2022 bare minimum and beyond.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf and Perry will be 31. Not old, but don't be shocked if a youngster replaces some of them.

I'd be pretty shocked if Bergeron didn't make the team, a guy how can play on the 1st line as well as on the 4th line on his level is just too valuable to be passed by someone younger in two years time.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

With a leadership core like that, it's easy to see why Tampa was such a mess for so many years.

Honestly, someone needs to slap St. Louis on the ice. The organization paid him more than he's worth relative to his worth to society, gave him a platform to be a pillar in the community, and gave him a life most people can only dream of having.

And he whines about not making a team where, at best, he was a bubble player from the start.

Talk about pettiness. This hurts Hockey Canada, the future of the selection process, and could cost us down the road.

St. Louis is a 38 year old man. Act like it.

I agree. I have been disappointed in his actions. At 38, you are a little too old to pout.

Bergeron, Carter, Getzlaf and Perry will be 31. Not old, but don't be shocked if a youngster replaces some of them.

Yes. The age of 30/31 is that bubble area where time has started to take its toll and you have trouble keeping up with someone 10 years your junior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'd be pretty shocked if Bergeron didn't make the team, a guy how can play on the 1st line as well as on the 4th line on his level is just too valuable to be passed by someone younger in two years time.

I agree he'll be almost a lock cinch too. That being said two and a half years can change things. At the end of the 2007 season Vincent Lecavalier led the NHL in goals. He was a Hart finalist. Everyone and their mother had him pencilled in for Team Canada in 2010. But in 2010 he wasn't even an option. In fact, he was third on the pecking order on his own team (Stamkos, St. Louis). And he was in the midst of a mediocre season. So things can change. In 2007 you probably didn't think Jonathan Toews or Mike Richards make the team, but two and a half years down the road they do, and they were fine picks too.

So there are things that can happen. However, Bergeron can fill any type of role and his type of player is scarce.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'm thinking a few of the players from this year's team will develop an "injury" that prevents them from going in 2018 if their team is in Cup contention.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Agreed. He brings something that no one else does for Canada, and only really Ryan O'Reilly projects to in a few years. He can play up and down the line up, at centre or wing, and provide elite defence while chipping in on offence. Extremely valuable.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
This whole St. Louis and Yzerman fiasco worries me as fan of Hockey Canada. How many NHL coaches & GMs are going to want to join the Canadian management staff in the future if the potential for harm to their club teams exists? I mean Yzerman won back-to-back gold medals and he probably leaving the job with a bad taste in his mouth because of how it deteriorated his relationship with MSL. I hope this is just one instance of a player being petty and not the start of a trend.

I think your post makes a lot of sense. A non-affiliated person can be objective without worrying about hurting anyone's fragile ego.

The only problem is that, this being Hockey Canada, they'll give Pascall or Salmond the job instead of someone actually competent.

As much as I can feel badly for a multi-millionaire, I feel badly for Yzerman in this situation.

I can understand why St. Louis might be upset, but St. Louis needs to grow up. So you didn't make Team Canada. You did, eventually. And you won a gold medal - a gold medal to which you contributed almost nothing. Is your GM supposed to shelve his professional judgment just to make you happy? Is he supposed to poison his relationship with other NHL executives just to make you happy? Is he supposed to potentially weaken the team - just to make you happy?

St. Louis pulled the same stunt of demanding a trade in 2009 with Brian Lawton. The guy is a whiner with a chip on his shoulder. Big deal he had to work to make it to the NHL. Big deal he was undrafted. Lots of guys go through worse in this game - including getting punched in the head so that the MSLs of the world can skate around without impediment.

The more I read about this guy, the less I like him. He put Yzerman in a difficult position and that's all on the player, not the GM.

With a leadership core like that, it's easy to see why Tampa was such a mess for so many years.

Honestly, someone needs to slap St. Louis on the ice. The organization paid him more than he's worth relative to his worth to society, gave him a platform to be a pillar in the community, and gave him a life most people can only dream of having.

And he whines about not making a team where, at best, he was a bubble player from the start.

Talk about pettiness. This hurts Hockey Canada, the future of the selection process, and could cost us down the road.

St. Louis is a 38 year old man. Act like it.
I have the same concern as you guys. Martin St-Louis really harmed Hockey Canada with this pettiness. He was basically demanding favourtism from his GM. Now I understand why no one wanted him on the team. He put Yzerman is a very uncomfortable position and because of this, who will be willing to get the same crap as Yzerman in the future? I have lost all respect for the little guy.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Nurse? Schultz? Reinhart? RNH? Drouin? Ekblad? these guys while good young players will never crack Canada's senior team within 2 years, zero chance there's just way too much depth and better options to pick from in Canada. They are Canada's future core but that's like 2022 bare minimum and beyond.

I agree with everything you said except for RNH, if he takes that next step (so close) he could be there in 2016, probably not though. In 2018 RNH should be there imo, he will be too good to leave off.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I wish he would, too. But I think Murray saw the writing on the wall, saw the direction things were headed at HC, and saw better opportunities elsewhere. It's people like Murray and Ralph Krueger - not the Salmond, Pascall and Nicholson types - who will keep Canada strong in the future. Maybe the problem resides higher than Nicholson, though. Maybe the reason Nicholson is still there is because he can be controlled more readily than someone with more to offer.

If that's the case, then it's sad.

I feel bad for the players, the fans, the minor hockey volunteers, and the coaches at the minor hockey level who go into coaching for the right reasons. They deserve better leadership than what they get.

A couple good weeks in Sochi doesn't reverse some of the troubling trends that have emerged under Nicholson's watch.

Agreed the politics in HC is crazy. Like no one will remembers because the women won gold in amazing fashion, but the stuff happened prior to Sochi with that team was absurd and ridiculous.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I agree with everything you said except for RNH, if he takes that next step (so close) he could be there in 2016, probably not though. In 2018 RNH should be there imo, he will be too good to leave off.

Problem is, Canada is stacked with young centres already and some will already be forced to play wing. RNH isn't really a centre-to-wing type of player, so he'll have to compete with the returning centres and a plethora of other talented centres.... Unless he's playing wing, I don't like his chances.

ToewsGretzky*

Mar 10, 2014
Algonquin Park
Team Canada 2016 World Cup roster

If it does happen here is my projected roster

Benn - Crosby - Stamkos
Couture - Toews - Tavares
Seguin - Getzlaf - Perry
Giroux- Bergeron - Duchene
*E.Kane

Weber - Doughty
Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
*Bouwmeester

Price
Bernier
Crawford

Subtractions for 2014 olympics - Marleau, Carter, Kunitz, Sharp, Vlasic, St. Louis, Smith, Luongo.

Additions - Couture, Stamkos, Kane, Seabrook, Seguin, Giroux, Bernier, Crawford.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If it does happen here is my projected roster

Benn - Crosby - Stamkos
Couture - Toews - Tavares
Seguin - Getzlaf - Perry
Giroux- Bergeron - Duchene
*E.Kane

Weber - Doughty
Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Seabrook
*Bouwmeester

Price
Bernier
Crawford

Subtractions for 2014 olympics - Marleau, Carter, Kunitz, Sharp, Vlasic, St. Louis, Smith, Luongo.

Additions - Couture, Stamkos, Kane, Seabrook, Seguin, Giroux, Bernier, Crawford.

Looks like you got Nash cut as well, which I won't argue..but I would take Hall over Kane on the left side..neither of these two am I overly impressed with their hockey sense, but Hall has a little more than Kane.

5 right D men 2 lefties? Not that I'm a big stickler for handedness, but Weber can't play the left side. Nashville put the rookie Jones on the left side with Weber b/c Weber can not play his off side.

You know Hockey Canada likes to stick to a winning formula as much as it can, so look for a little more balance on the backend between lefties and righties.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Here is my team for 2016:

Tavares-Crosby-Giroux
Hall-Stamkos-Carter
E.Staal-Toews-Burns
Seguin-Bergeron-Mackinnon
Duchene

Kieth-Weber
Vlasic-Pietrangelo
Giordano-Doughty
Subban

Price
Bernier
Luongo/Crawford/Mason

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's going to be crazy finding room for Canada's forwards in 2016. For scorers you have guys like Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux, Perry, Seguin, Benn, Duchene, Hall, MacKinnon. Role players (term used liberally) like Toews, Bergeron, Couture, Carter, O'Reilly and so on. That's 16 forwards, without considering players who might emerge over the next two seasons. It's usually crazy for Canada (Giroux and Stamkos in 2014, Stamkos and St. Louis in 2010, etc.) but in 2016 it might be particularly difficult.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It's going to be crazy finding room for Canada's forwards in 2016. For scorers you have guys like Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux, Perry, Seguin, Benn, Duchene, Hall, MacKinnon. Role players (term used liberally) like Toews, Bergeron, Couture, Carter, O'Reilly and so on. That's 16 forwards, without considering players who might emerge over the next two seasons. It's usually crazy for Canada (Giroux and Stamkos in 2014, Stamkos and St. Louis in 2010, etc.) but in 2016 it might be particularly difficult.

Let's hope a few high end D-Men step forward as well.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Let's hope a few high end D-Men step forward as well.

I think the defence could be even better than in Sochi. First, it would be on NHL ice, the players know that ice and don't need any adjustment, second, I mean, you still have Doughty, Weber and Keith, and then there are guys born for NHL-sized tournament (Phaneuf, Seabrook) Add Pietrangelo, Subban and maybe Letang and you have one of the best d-corps we have ever iced on NHL ice. Especially if Subban and Pietrangelo hit their prime.

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Phaneuf - Doughty
Letang
Seabrook (Bouwmeester)

I don't think there will so much pressure on having 3 or 4 left defensemen as it was in Sochi. Three at best, imo.

Last edited:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think the defence could be even better than in Sochi. First, it would be on NHL ice, the players know that ice and don't need any adjustment, second, I mean, you still have Doughty, Weber and Keith, and then there are guys born for NHL-sized tournament (Phaneuf, Seabrook) Add Pietrangelo, Subban and maybe Letang and you have one of the best d-corps we have ever iced on NHL ice. Especially if Subban and Pietrangelo hit their prime.

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Phaneuf - Doughty
Letang
Seabrook (Bouwmeester)

I don't think there will so much pressure on having 3 or 4 left defensemen as it was in Sochi. Three at best, imo.

No Phaneuf ever. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad