off d-men - def d-men
Subban - Keith
Burns - Doughty
Letang - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Weber

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Benn Giroux Seguin

Giroux and Seguin were pretty good together at the IIHF WC, and I think Giroux/Benn would be monstrous together possession-wise.

On merit that would be our first line at the moment.

Benn - Giroux - Seguin
Duchene - Tavares - Stone
Hall - Crosby - Bergeron
O'Reilly - Toews - Carter
Stamkos

Of course the inherent conservatism of Hockey Canada and the current management / coaching group means the eventual lineup will look nothing like this.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
On merit that would be our first line at the moment.

Benn - Giroux - Seguin
Duchene - Tavares - Stone
Hall - Crosby - Bergeron
O'Reilly - Toews - Carter
Stamkos

Of course the inherent conservatism of Hockey Canada and the current management / coaching group means the eventual lineup will look nothing like this.

Yeah, right now it would have to be Giroux or Tavares who centres Benn and Seguin. Giroux has rounded into a pretty good defensive player, and he was utilized that way at the 2015 WC and the team actually picked him as one of its top three players for the tournament (I believe he was the only forward). The conservatism means that Getzlaf/Perry have to be considered very close to being locks. Getzlaf is playing better after his slow start at least. I expect that at least Getzlaf (if not Perry as well) will be selected in the initial CanadianO24 list of 16 players.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
yes, Getzlaf and Perry are near-locks. They bring unique style and the bad start is more about the whole team than about them + Getzlaf was injured too. The whole team was starting very slowly. There's still 50+ games in the RS. I can't imagine only one of them making the team, but in my opinion, if I had to choose just one, Perry should be a lock. Getzlaf is a center and therefore there's more competition. Perry played good without Getzlaf and he is really a world-class player that has many qualities. I like both and unless Getzlaf struggles badly, there is no way I don't have them on my final team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
yes, Getzlaf and Perry are near-locks. They bring unique style and the bad start is more about the whole team than about them + Getzlaf was injured too. The whole team was starting very slowly. There's still 50+ games in the RS. I can't imagine only one of them making the team, but in my opinion, if I had to choose just one, Perry should be a lock. Getzlaf is a center and therefore there's more competition. Perry played good without Getzlaf and he is really a world-class player that has many qualities. I like both and unless Getzlaf struggles badly, there is no way I don't have them on my final team.

Sorry, any player on the wrong side of 30 who isn't performing up to a NT level, regardless of excuses, doesn't get a roster spot imo. I don't care what the excuses are, legitimate or not, club/team performance, injury...if you don't deserve to be there, then you shouldn't be there. That's exactly the Hockey Canada attitude which has cost us dearly in the past. "Oh, but he's Getzlaf. He's been a warrior for us... when the game is on the line, he'll find it". That attitude is nonsense, pie in the sky fantasy. It shouldn't matter. Player x is not performing - player x doesn't deserve to be there.

But then again, bring the 2...it's just a pre-season exhibition not worth watching anyway. Better to weed those 30+ players on the down slope of their careers and lose than to play them in a tournament that is a true best on best and really matters.

I won't be watching the NHL preseason exhibition anyway. :)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Just so we're clear, that is the attitude that Gretzky had and that everyone bemoans in retrospect.

But then again, bring the 2...it's just a pre-season exhibition not worth watching anyway. Better to weed those 30+ players on the down slope of their careers and lose than to play them in a tournament that is a true best on best and really matters.

I would rather Canada work the kinks out in this worthless event. Whether that's trying out new player, or getting reason to purge the roster of players that are past their best. Both options are fine.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sequin - Giroux- Benn
Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
MacKinnon - Getzlaf - Perry
O'Reilly - Bergeron - Stone
Hoffman

off d-men - def d-men
Subban - Keith
Burns - Doughty
Letang - Pietrangelo
Ellis - Weber
Not eligible and how do you leave off Tavares and Toews for Stone or Hoffman. Also see no way Ellis makes it, all the def D you listed are high-end offensively, more likely we see a shut down guy like Seabrook, Vlasic and J-Bo over Ellis and Burns.

My team at the moment would look like this
Benn-Seguin-Tavares
Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Giroux-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-ROR
Duchane

Doughty-Weber
Keith-Seabrook
Vlasic-Subban
J-bo-Pietriangelo

Price
Holtby

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
After a month, my updated roster as of now:

Jamie Benn - Sidney Crosby - Tyler Seguin
Rick Nash - John Tavares - Steven Stamkos
Taylor Hall - Claude Giroux - Patrice Bergeron
Ryan O'Reilly - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
(Matt Duchene)
(Jeff Carter)

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo - Drew Doughty
Brent Burns

Carey Price, Braden Holtby, Marc-André Fleury

Rick Nash scored 42 goals last year, while playing with Brassard, which - no offence to him - is not a star-caliber #1 center like Tavares, Thornton, or Getzlaf. All that with being great defensively and truly valuable to his team. A good thing to remember. He also has 23 points in 32 games so far and is definitely playing a very good overall game.

Corey Perry gets a spot because he simply deserves it due to his game. He definitely brings something valuable and that is, also, his in-front-of-the-net presence, plus his great hockey skills, both passing and scoring. He's the type of a player I would definitely want on NHL ice. He can score big goals for you and usually brings his top game when you need it. The last playoffs, Perry tallied 10 goals and had 18 points in 16 games. He's having 20 points in 31 games now, and all of his 10 goals, and 19 points, came in the last 23 games.

Jeff Carter is tough to leave off. If he was quite a surprise to some to make the team in Sochi, that shouldn't be the case now. He would be another good penalty-killer, and his style of playing fits the NHL ice very well. He will definitely be in the mix and could be the perfect 13th forward, as he very well could be now instead of Getzlaf.

Matt Duchene has already one olympic experience and is also a gold-medalist from the World Championships where he put up 12 points in 10 games. He's another forward tough to leave home. He's been quietly on fire recently, putting up 15 goals and 26 points in last 24 games. Am I the only one who can see Hall and Duchene battling for a spot? They are a bit different, but yet quite similar to each other in that what they can bring to the team and that is speed. When already having Benn, and then at least one of Nash/O'Reilly, it will be hard to make a room for both. Duchene deserves to be a Team Canada player though.

I am not sure if we can ignore a player who could be in TOP10 in scoring and having possibly more than a point-per-game season or close to it. Not to mention he's a natural LW. Mike Hoffman has 31 points and 17 goals in 29 games. He's also been producing from the start without any bigger slump. In fact, in between November and December, Hoffman had a 7-game hot-streak with 9 goals and 12 points. It will be interesting to watch how long can he play like that. The longer, the better chance of getting into the conversation. If the Senators don't make the playoffs, I definitely wish we could see him wearing TC jersey at the WCHs.

On D, Brodie could very well be a TC player already, but I believe that Canada needs the defensive abilities and experience of Vlasic more, because we already have good and slick puck-movers in Subban, Doughty, or Keith. Jake Muzzin is definitely in the conversation too, as is Giordano. Brent Seabrook, I think, would be in the group of seven best canadian defensemen, but can he make it over Pietrangelo or Burns here for an actual hockey tournament?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also have one idea for a power-play. Or rather 3 ideas, too much talent to have just two PP units. Stamkos-Crosby-Toews, with Keith and Subban could work well. Then Hall, Giroux, Tavares, Doughty, and Weber, another super-skilled unit. And then the one I would be dying for to see: Benn-Seguin-Perry, with Getzlaf and Burns. Can you imagine both Perry and Benn in front of the net haha. That would be a nightmare, but not for Canada. Then you have Seguin, Getzlaf - the chemistry of both duos, and another big body in Burns or Nash. That unit would have amazing skills, and the physical presence + the chemistry could be ridiculous.

Last edited:

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
My Team:

Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Tavares-Seguin
Duchene-Toews-Giroux
O'Reilly-Bergeron-Carter
Toffoli,Hoffman

Keith-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Subban
Brodie-Weber
Vlasic

Price/Holtby/Luongo

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Tavares-Seguin
Carter-Toews-Giroux
Toffoli-Bergeron-Stone
O'Rielly,Hoffman

Keith-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Subban
Brodie-Giordano
Weber, Burns

Price/Holtby/Luongo

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Benn - Crosby - Seguin
Tavares - Toews - Stamkos
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
O'Reilly - Bergeron - Carter

Extra F: Nash

The only real debate here was Nash over Giroux. Given the glut of natural centers already on the team, I went with the pure winger, and one who can play both LW and RW in Nash.

Keith - Weber
Brodie - Doughty
Giordano - Subban

Extra: LD - Vlasic
Extra: RD - Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby

Extra G: Crawford

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm positive the Habs management screwed up and Price actually need a surgery for his knee, and he will get it as soon as the Habs are eliminated. It's probably a 3-4 months rehab, so he likely won't be ready for this World Cup. So Holtby / Luongo / Fleury is the likely answer.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Benn - Bergeron- Seguin
Hall -Crosby- Carter
Tavares -Toews -Sharp
Duchene -Giroux- Stamkos
O’Reilly

Keith -Seabrook
Doughty- Weber
Pietrangelo- Subban
Burns

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Benn - Seguin - Giroux
Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
O'Reilly - Toews - Stone
Hall - Bergeron - Carter
Duchene - Burns

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Brodie - Subban
Giordano - Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Fleury

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Making this roster is gonna be extremely tough for the managers.

I really like Brendan Gallagher's game in Montreal and think he has to be seriously considered here. He has tenacity, the speed, he can score, he battles, he hits, and plays a tough hockey, he's really in my opinion the perfect role player/13th forward for Team Canada that can eventually step up and create some energy on the ice if needed.

Then, I can't really imagine anyone leaving O'Reilly or Hall ouf the roster, as for now. But that would mean only one of Duchene/Nash could still get in.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really like Brendan Gallagher's game in Montreal and think he has to be seriously considered here. He has tenacity, the speed, he can score, he battles, he hits, and plays a tough hockey, he's really in my opinion the perfect role player/13th forward for Team Canada that can eventually step up and create some energy on the ice if needed.

Other than speed, that's the line of thinking that's lead to many of Canada's most maligned picks.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Players who deserve to go to the World Cup: Stone,Spezza,Hoffman,Sharp,Cammalleri,Toffoli,Burns

Players who do not deserve to go to the World Cup :
Nash,Getzlaf,Perry,Stamkos,Crosby,Giordano,Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad