Speculation: 2016 UFA's and Who should we target?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I guess I'll start with this;

Friedman/Stamkos: If healthy, "I think the list of suitors is going to be very long and it's going to be very interesting." #TBLightning 1/2

Friedman/Stamkos: I wouldn't be surprised if team like #Isles, for example, is in on it, and they've never really been mentioned. 2/2

Don't even know how that would be possible with our other UFA's and RFA's that we have to sign. Figure Stamkos gets 10 mil, how then do you sign JT and for how much? Can we really have 20 mil locked up in two guys?

Although these two playing together would be beyond AWESOME!!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
In theory it makes sense, simply because this team desperately lacks star power, but I be surprised to see them committing 10M per (potentially more) to anyone short of a top five defenseman in the league before Tavares gets his next pay day.

If you are dead set on moving Halak (which seems to be the vibe Staple is giving off), and can move Grabovski (or at least his contract), you have 9.5M right there. Zidlicky's 1.5M makes that 11M.

Part of (or all of) Okposo's 2.8M goes to Frans' extension.

Nielsen-Tavares-RW
LW-Stamkos-RW

Go for it, but you'd probably also have to move Bailey's 3.3M to afford the raises for Strome/Cizikas/potentially Martin.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
In theory it makes sense, simply because this team desperately lacks star power, but I be surprised to see them committing 10M per (potentially more) to anyone short of a top five defenseman in the league before Tavares gets his next pay day.

If you are dead set on moving Halak (which seems to be the vibe Staple is giving off), and can move Grabovski (or at least his contract), you have 9.5M right there. Zidlicky's 1.5M makes that 11M.

Part of (or all of) Okposo's 2.8M goes to Frans' extension.

Nielsen-Tavares-RW
LW-Stamkos-RW

Go for it, but you'd probably also have to move Bailey's 3.3M to afford the raises for Strome/Cizikas/potentially Martin.

I think they have to do that no matter who they sign. he ****ing sucks.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're pretty much guaranteed to have a pretty good 1st line just because of JT.

What makes it more likely that we'll have a good 2nd line too:

1. signing KO + Frans;

or letting both walk and

2. signing Stamkos?

And when you can only protect limited forwards, it kinda makes sense to have quality over quantity.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If any team could sign Stamkos, and also pay a second star like JT, it is the Isles.

Outside of (perhaps) Boychuk, they do not really have any potential negative long-term contracts tied up in older vets and also have a wealth of potentially inexpensive players like Barzal, Pulock, Pelech, MDC, Ho-Sang, Beauvilier, Quine, etc. in the system. You need those players to round out the roster and maintain quality depth, especially to protect against injury concerns.

While signing a player like Stamkos means Okposo walks, and might mean that if the Isles opt to re-sign Nielsen they would need to look for a cheaper options for players like Cizikas, as they move beyond their initial RFA years and get closer to UFA status, it is doable. The Isles would also not be able to sign luxury depth players like Grabo and Kulemin for some time but that is also very workable.

Having a stable of Stamkos-JT-Barzal-Strome-Quine down the middle is very interesting.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I guess I'll start with this;

Don't even know how that would be possible with our other UFA's and RFA's that we have to sign. Figure Stamkos gets 10 mil, how then do you sign JT and for how much? Can we really have 20 mil locked up in two guys?

Although these two playing together would be beyond AWESOME!!

Why not, the defending champs do.

I totally expect the Isles to be in on Stamkos. Great chance for new owners to make a real splash.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
probably not too good.

Staple said something interesting yesterday. I don't want to go through all of his tweets, but he said more than once that he didn't think the team was likely to re-sign KO if they don't make it out of the 1st round. As far as i know, it's the first time he's said something like that. Up to that point, he's been pretty firm about the team not re-signing him, period.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple said something interesting yesterday. I don't want to go through all of his tweets, but he said more than once that he didn't think the team was likely to re-sign KO if they don't make it out of the 1st round. As far as i know, it's the first time he's said something like that. Up to that point, he's been pretty firm about the team not re-signing him, period.

Yeah, Staple is basically saying unless the Isles win a round or two and Okposo plays extremely well, he's not coming back.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I've said it before and I'll say it again... I'm all for building off of the Pit/Chi 2-star model. The Isles are one of the few teams in the league who could pull this off by adding Stamkos because A. They already have 1 star; and B. They have enough young cost controlled talent either on the team or in the pipeline to compete.

If not Stamkos, then go for Lucic and keep Frans. I think KO is as good as gone unless they make a run to ECF.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I think Stamkos is going to NYR. They will find a taker for Nash to free up cash. There's something to me about MSL, who desired for years to play for NYR, telling Stamkos that he do it much earlier in his career.

He goes to TOR, only if TOR is going on a UFA spending spree this summer to go from worst to playoff contender, but they would need a playmaker on that team for him to be effective and not get torched quickly.

My out of left field contender: SJ.

Isles can and should make a major pitch, but does he check his ego at the door in knowing this is JTs team. Stranger, the CHI/PIT model is on point, however, those players grew up together and became stars as a team. This is adding a superstar C former SC-winner of a franchise to another franchise that has a franchise player and is the Captain. Seems a little different when you look a little closer, that's my take.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Isles would be dumb not to be in on Stamkos. Two superstars in JT and Stammer like CHI has with Toews/Kane. Sign me up.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
All depends on what Stamkos wants to do. If he wants to make the most money, he should probably go to Toronto. The contract he'll get and all the endorsements would blow anywhere else out of the water (although, those endorsements would be in CAD :laugh: ).

If he wants to go to a contender, no reason to leave Tampa Bay. They have a good goalie, good secondary scoring, a top tier #1 defenseman, so there's not much to dislike.

Does he want to go to another team where there can be a 1-2 punch? The Isles would fit that bill and it'd instantly propel the Isles into legitimate contenders with star power. I think it's a long shot to get him, but not completely impossible. We have the room to sign both him and Tavares, so that's not really an issue. What other destinations even have the room to sign him?

There aren't many free agents I'd really want to target, but here's a list that I'd be interested in depending on the term/money and what other moves happen:

Stamkos
Lucic
Yandle
Goligoski
Backes
Ladd
Eriksson
Boedker
Brouwer
Okposo
McGinn
Nielsen

I'd definitely re-sign Nielsen. Re-signing Okposo would depend on whether or not we could sign Lucic, Eriksson, or Stamkos. If we can, I don't know if we could fit him. I'm find with Yandle coming on board if possible. Not great defensively, but would provide some offense and bump Hickey out of the daily lineup. Same with Goligoski. Backes or Ladd would need to be a real short term deal, not interested in locking them up beyond 3 or 4 years. Brouwer would be a good replacement for a guy like Bailey, as would McGinn or Boedker.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I think Stamkos is going to NYR. They will find a taker for Nash to free up cash. There's something to me about MSL, who desired for years to play for NYR, telling Stamkos that he do it much earlier in his career.

He goes to TOR, only if TOR is going on a UFA spending spree this summer to go from worst to playoff contender, but they would need a playmaker on that team for him to be effective and not get torched quickly.

My out of left field contender: SJ.

Isles can and should make a major pitch, but does he check his ego at the door in knowing this is JTs team. Stranger, the CHI/PIT model is on point, however, those players grew up together and became stars as a team. This is adding a superstar C former SC-winner of a franchise to another franchise that has a franchise player and is the Captain. Seems a little different when you look a little closer, that's my take.

please dont say that Blitz. Please.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I just cannot see Stamkos wanting to go to the NYR. I assume it is back to Tampa or off to Toronto, unless the NYR deal is significantly better and is simply a bone headed move that cannot be passed up - setting them up for future failure and Stamkos for fan ire. Even if MSL raves about the Raggie$, I cannot imagine that Boyle will give a glowing review.

I have to think that Stamkos will look at the overall situation and his chances for a cup. The Raggies have an ageing star goalie, one star defenseman and a handful of complimentary players; but the team lacks the necessary parts to win it all. Players like Chris "Happy Hour" Kreider and Hayes have regressed and the cupboard is thin.

I see no justifiable reason why Stamkos would go there is he wants to win. He would have to carry the offense and all their broken toys like Girardi, Staal, Nash (if he is not traded), etc. I guess I could be wrong but I am just not worried about the Rag$.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
He also said that he predicts a lot of roster changes if they lose this series. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

If you swap out Bailey and Strome for better overall players, then address KOs spot, the team should be fine. They need some motivated guys that want to win - which is why I was a big proponent for Hartnell. Anyone want him now over Bailey?

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
If the Isles are dead set on wanting Stamkos, they MUST go after him in a serious way. I've always thought Stamkos was a tremendous pipedream, but the fact Friedman is tossing our name around, then do it. I love the idea of potentially having him, JT, and Fransie on the same line.

Dump the dead weight in Bailey, Grabo, Zidlicky, & Strait; Okposo will need to go as well, unfortunately (I always liked Kyle).

Re-sign Nielsen, make a push for Stamkos, & maybe even try signing a guy like Jamie McGinn who I've been a HUGE advocate for. He's a guy this team needs with his size, physicality, and offensive touch on the wing.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For Stamkos to come here, he would likely have to agree to play RW and I do not see that happening. I still think he signs in Tampa, though him in the left circle and JT in the right circle on the PP would be incredibly deadly.

That said, I feel Grabo is done... too many head injuries and he's missed a ton of time the last 3 years because of it. Okposo is as good as gone, and I would not be surprised if Halak is gone as well. Add that up along with the cap space the Islanders already have, and it is absolutely doable. It might be worth it just to send two messages to the team....

1. You don't put it all on the line in the playoffs and you're out
2. We mean business and will spend money to push this team over the hump

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Sign Stamkos, re-sign Frans as the 1LW or 1C with JT and SS on the sides, trade Hamonic for Laine (EDM pick), sign Demers or look to trade Nelson+ for a Hamonic replacement.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
For Stamkos to come here, he would likely have to agree to play RW and I do not see that happening. I still think he signs in Tampa, though him in the left circle and JT in the right circle on the PP would be incredibly deadly.

That said, I feel Grabo is done... too many head injuries and he's missed a ton of time the last 3 years because of it. Okposo is as good as gone, and I would not be surprised if Halak is gone as well. Add that up along with the cap space the Islanders already have, and it is absolutely doable. It might be worth it just to send two messages to the team....

1. You don't put it all on the line in the playoffs and you're out
2. We mean business and will spend money to push this team over the hump

Stamkos could very well agree to be our 2nd line center. There probably wouldn't be a 1st and a 2nd line actually, it'd probably be two 1st lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad