WC: 2016 Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
After DEN beating CZE we need 4 points out of the last two games (if DEN beats KAZ in regulation).

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
To be honest not only Marti was exposed skatingwise against Russia on the Defense. Dubois had especially inthe 1st period a bunch of problems.

I agree skating is very important on this level, nevertheless this years edition of Grossmann proves, it only takes you so far. Much better straight ahead skater than Dubois or Schneeberger.

Schneeberger is fun to watch, he tries the same stuff as if it was a common NLA-game.... And gets away with it most of the time surprisingly. Shows good hands and vision.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The way it is going between Danemark and Kazakhstan ... we will need a win in regulation against the Czechs.

Somehow, i feel we may regret the fluke goal against Kazakhstan or the lost points against any other team ... (except Russia where it was a clear loss ... in spite of some possible ref discussions)

But nothing is lost ... we can still make it tomorow ... after all, our team is playing better.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
The way it is going between Danemark and Kazakhstan ... we will need a win in regulation against the Czechs.

Somehow, i feel we may regret the fluke goal against Kazakhstan or the lost points against any other team ... (except Russia where it was a clear loss ... in spite of some possible ref discussions)

But nothing is lost ... we can still make it tomorow ... after all, our team is playing better.

I just hope we see that they want a regulation win from min 0 on.
Need to fight hard, CZE is pretty good.

If Cze get 0 points tomorrow they'll face Germany instead of USA.
Hope they're aware of that and don't give their best ;)

I'm not saying Ger is much worse though.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I just hope we see that they want a regulation win from min 0 on.
Need to fight hard, CZE is pretty good.

If Cze get 0 points tomorrow they'll face Germany instead of USA.
Hope they're aware of that and don't give their best ;)

I'm not saying Ger is much worse though.

Same thought
Czechs are smart ... aren't they ? ;)

Beyond that, i am sure they will give 100%. I never have a doubt about that ... when they are playing for a country.
What makes them look like they don't care is when they play with conflictual energies ... they don't know what to do ... bad coaching ... playing against their own style ... they are lost and seem not to care.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
GK:

Reto Berra, 6 GP, 88.07%

Berra was solid, not more. He's not the one to blame, maybe in the last game vs. CZE he should have had the 4-2. But a team like Switzerland needs a hot goalie, Berra wasn't as hot as he should have been.

Robert Mayer, 1 GP, 84.62%
Only one game for him, he also was solid, couldn't do much on the 3 goals from Norway.

D
Patrick Geering, 7GP, 1 A, 4 PIM, 8 SOG, -2
He's underrated, does a good job in his own zone. He rarely seeks the offence, which he should do more often. Reminds me a lot of Seeger (as I wrote before). Solid WC from him, probably the best Swiss defenders if you look at their basic job (defending).

Yannick Weber, 7GP, 1 G/2A, 4 PIM, 13 SOG, -1
Got a lot of critics, got better in each game. I still think many Swiss expect too much from him, he played his part and you could see that he didn't have his best season and missed a little bit of confidence.

Félicien DuBois, 7GP, 1 G/3 A, 18 PIM, 15 SOG, -2
He's probably not happy with himself, he can do a lot better, couldn't adjust to the refereeing. His 4 points are nice, he has a good shot and could show the sometimes.

Raphael Diaz, 5 GP, 6 A, 2PIM, 16 SOG, +2
Solid WC from him, smart defender with a good vision. His positioning in the D-zone could be better. Was missed a lot in the two games vs. SWE and RUS.

Noah Schneeberger, 7GP, 1 G/1 A, 5 SOG, +1
Suprised by him, solid WC, worked hard and could fulfil his job. We'll see him again.

Christian Marti, 4GP, 4 PIM, 1 SOG, -2
Didn't see much ice-time. The only big-guy on the blue-line. Needs to work on his skating, could be an option in the future, the team needs a solid D with size and strength.

Eric Blum, 7 GP, 2 G/1 A, 6 SOG, +4
Scoring twice with 6 shots is impressive. :)
If you finish with a +4 you cannot say much, he made a lot of progress in the last years and is one of the best Swiss defenders.

Robin Grossmann, 7 GP, 2+10 PIM, 11 SOG, +1
He just brings nothing to a good team. He's not good enough in the D-zone to be defensive Defenceman. And he doesn't bring enough offence to get a spot as an offensive defenceman. He's a solid skater but lacks all the other skills to be an important part of the team.

O
Andres Ambühl, 7 GP, 4A, 6 PIM, 13 SOG, -4
Started as Center where he's not good enough at this level. Played better on the wing but could never find chemistry with any line he's playing in. He played better WC before.

Grégory Hofmann, 7 GP, 1G/1A, 17 SOG, +3
He was there to learn and I'm sure he learnt a lot. Excellent skater and with solid skills. He'll return. Also better on the wing.

Reto Schäppi, 5 GP, 2 A, 2 PIM, 5 SOG, +2
He should have played all games I think. He never will be a center for the first line, but could play a solid role as a 3rd line center. I hope he gets back to play Center with the ZSC Lions.

Nino Niederreiter, 7 GP, 3G/3A, 2PIM, 30 SOG, +6
Only negative points: "Stupid" penalty vs. Sweden (which resulted in a goal) and his efficiency could be better. Otherwise heck of a player, a true leader and I hope we'll get to see him at the WC again.

Morris Trachlser, 7 GP, 1A, 2 PIM, 7 SOG, +1
From 4th line to the first line. Played what he could, his offensive skills are limitied, that's for sure. But he adjusted very well to his new role and also was a reason that Moser and Nino got a lot better in the second half of the tournament.

Dino Wieser, 7 GP, 2 PIM, 7 SOG, -4
-4 is too much for a 4th line player. He and Walker are very similar player, two are one too much in my opinion.

Marc Wieser, 7 GP, 2 PIM, -2
Difficult situation to get thrown around between lines at the first WC. He made what he could, don't think he's good enough to get a spot at the top-two lines. And I think there are better options for a 4th line.

Denis Hollenstein, 7 GP, 3G/1A, 4PIM, 13 SOG, -1
Couldn't find chemistry with Ambühl, worked better with Andrighetto. Still the best Swiss forward on Swiss ice (Together with Brunner, Ambühl and Moser), but you can see why he's not more.

Simon Moser, 7 GP, 3G/3A, 6 PIM, 24 SOG, +6
Great tournament from him, back at the level he had 2013. Profited from Nino also. He is a player you wish to have on a team, always there when it gets dangerous but also a hard working guy in the d-zone and a solid boxplay-player. I hope he can keep this level next season.

Sven Andrighetto, 7 GP, 3G/4A, 4 PIM, 21 SOG, +2
Showed why NHL-players are better than NLA-players. Great skater, a lot of passion and doesn't forget his defensive duties. Should have earlier get Hollenstein on his side.

Gaetan Haas, 3 GP, 2 PIM, 3 SOG.
Was benched after 90 minutes of hockey, a little bit as a punching bag for the team. Was not worse than the rest of the team vs. NOR.

Lino Martschini, 4 GP, 1 A, 7 SOG, -1
He's just too small for a WC. He's skilled, yes, and he can score, yes, but NLA is different. He'd have to be much more skilled to fulfil a good role at a WC.

Samuel Walser, 7GP, 2 G, 6PIM, 12 SOG, -2
A little bit like Hofmann. He showed some promise, needs to get stronger without loosing skating-ability. He could be a Romy-successor in a few years.

Julian Walker, 7 GP, 2PIM, 8 SOG, +/ 0
See Dino Wieser.

Overall it was a solid effort. The team missed a hot goalie and a lot of talent at the blue-line. Don't think Fischer could have anything different in case of selection. I'd have taken Scherwey for Wieser because he's smarter and could bring a little bit more offence but overall that wouldn't be much of a difference. And I also don't think that another coach would change much. Last year it was the same story but the team was luckier.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Berra's not to blame? Reminder that he's the reason they didn't beat KAZ.

To be fair though that still wouldn't have been enough.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Meh, kinda liked the team to be honest. We are where we are, around 8-10 in the world. We had the hope to establish ourselves in the top 8 on the level of CZE/SVK but that seems to be too much/early.

Yeah, we had some NHLers and nice progress, but others cought us quite fast and we have to face the truth: Quarters are not a given for this country.
Look at Girgensons, Ehlers, Draisaitl etc, everyone has their NHL star nowadays, we don't produce elite talent every year like Finland or Sweden.

Still think the future is bright, our best players are u25 and will be here for some time, if Baertschi/Fiala/Müller/Meier progress the way we hope, there'll be WHC's with more competitive rosters again.

Changing the coaching staff again would be a mistake for me. Given there aren't exactly no-brainer options available.

On a side note: I can't understand defending Berra. He wasn't good enough, simple as that.
He clearly wasn't in the top 10 of this WC.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
so .. Swiss season is soon ending ... only Kukan and Meier are still active.

Maybe one of them will get a cup. :)

big deception still ... And the lost points at the beginning ... wtf !
but today is a summerish day ... and we'll wait the next season.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
On a side note: I can't understand defending Berra. He wasn't good enough, simple as that.
He clearly wasn't in the top 10 of this WC.

That's given. But I cannot see another option. From all our possible number ones he was the only one who was ready to help out. He could have denied also and I don't think we would have been better with Mayer/Zurkirchen.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
That's given. But I cannot see another option. From all our possible number ones he was the only one who was ready to help out. He could have denied also and I don't think we would have been better with Mayer/Zurkirchen.

No way, the decision was ok and even if Genoni/Hiller would've wanted to come, I don't think they are much better options.

Berra is in one way pretty similar to Hiller and that's his inconsistency. You expect some weird soft-goal performances but also some elite ones. The later simply didn't happen. Those are the games that let you forget how awful he is on Shootouts (3 saves out of 9 really!?!) or that he conceded from middle ice.
He couldn't make up for that.
But he is and sadly will be for quite a while our best option.

The defense was also weak. Too soft, too weak, resulting in bad penalties.
What a huge difference Josi, Streit and Kukan would've made here..
Grossmann is someone I want to see far away from the rink when I watch our national team play.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
GK:

Reto Berra, 6 GP, 88.07%

Berra was solid, not more. He's not the one to blame, maybe in the last game vs. CZE he should have had the 4-2. But a team like Switzerland needs a hot goalie, Berra wasn't as hot as he should have been.

Only one game for him, he also was solid, couldn't do much on the 3 goals from Norway.

D
He's underrated, does a good job in his own zone. He rarely seeks the offence, which he should do more often. Reminds me a lot of Seeger (as I wrote before). Solid WC from him, probably the best Swiss defenders if you look at their basic job (defending).

Got a lot of critics, got better in each game. I still think many Swiss expect too much from him, he played his part and you could see that he didn't have his best season and missed a little bit of confidence.

He's probably not happy with himself, he can do a lot better, couldn't adjust to the refereeing. His 4 points are nice, he has a good shot and could show the sometimes.

Solid WC from him, smart defender with a good vision. His positioning in the D-zone could be better. Was missed a lot in the two games vs. SWE and RUS.

Suprised by him, solid WC, worked hard and could fulfil his job. We'll see him again.

Didn't see much ice-time. The only big-guy on the blue-line. Needs to work on his skating, could be an option in the future, the team needs a solid D with size and strength.

If you finish with a +4 you cannot say much, he made a lot of progress in the last years and is one of the best Swiss defenders.

He just brings nothing to a good team. He's not good enough in the D-zone to be defensive Defenceman. And he doesn't bring enough offence to get a spot as an offensive defenceman. He's a solid skater but lacks all the other skills to be an important part of the team.

O
Started as Center where he's not good enough at this level. Played better on the wing but could never find chemistry with any line he's playing in. He played better WC before.

He was there to learn and I'm sure he learnt a lot. Excellent skater and with solid skills. He'll return. Also better on the wing.

He should have played all games I think. He never will be a center for the first line, but could play a solid role as a 3rd line center. I hope he gets back to play Center with the ZSC Lions.

Only negative points: "Stupid" penalty vs. Sweden (which resulted in a goal) and his efficiency could be better. Otherwise heck of a player, a true leader and I hope we'll get to see him at the WC again.

From 4th line to the first line. Played what he could, his offensive skills are limitied, that's for sure. But he adjusted very well to his new role and also was a reason that Moser and Nino got a lot better in the second half of the tournament.

-4 is too much for a 4th line player. He and Walker are very similar player, two are one too much in my opinion.

Difficult situation to get thrown around between lines at the first WC. He made what he could, don't think he's good enough to get a spot at the top-two lines. And I think there are better options for a 4th line.

Couldn't find chemistry with Ambühl, worked better with Andrighetto. Still the best Swiss forward on Swiss ice (Together with Brunner, Ambühl and Moser), but you can see why he's not more.

Great tournament from him, back at the level he had 2013. Profited from Nino also. He is a player you wish to have on a team, always there when it gets dangerous but also a hard working guy in the d-zone and a solid boxplay-player. I hope he can keep this level next season.

Showed why NHL-players are better than NLA-players. Great skater, a lot of passion and doesn't forget his defensive duties. Should have earlier get Hollenstein on his side.

Was benched after 90 minutes of hockey, a little bit as a punching bag for the team. Was not worse than the rest of the team vs. NOR.

He's just too small for a WC. He's skilled, yes, and he can score, yes, but NLA is different. He'd have to be much more skilled to fulfil a good role at a WC.

A little bit like Hofmann. He showed some promise, needs to get stronger without loosing skating-ability. He could be a Romy-successor in a few years.

See Dino Wieser.

Overall it was a solid effort. The team missed a hot goalie and a lot of talent at the blue-line. Don't think Fischer could have anything different in case of selection. I'd have taken Scherwey for Wieser because he's smarter and could bring a little bit more offence but overall that wouldn't be much of a difference. And I also don't think that another coach would change much. Last year it was the same story but the team was luckier.

Very good review. Thx for the effort.

I see it very similar.

A few things to add:

The lack of leg strengh and strengh/balance on skates is still quite a concern with swiss players. Only Walker, Niederreiter, Andrighetto, d. Wieser and Ambühl seem to be shaped out in that regard among the forwards. It's what separates Andrighetto from Martschini. Martschini's skill-level is more than good enough IMO. It's the same problem especially with Hofmann. From the little bit we've seen of Haas, he could use more leg strengh as well. Same goes for Walser and Schäppi.

I though Walker was among the very best swiss players. Even better as Center than on wing.

Schäppi hasn't convinced me. Today was better. Too slow, too little puckskills, vision not good enough to center any other line than the 4th IMO.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Well done SIHF! I think they deserve these results, they thought they could get through these WC with 3 inexperienced "coaches".. well there you go. And the worst thing maybe, it's that those guys at the helm of Swiss hockey won't even learn anything about their mistakes. I'm sure they won't even fire fisher because just like him, they have no balls.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I though Walker was among the very best swiss players. Even better as Center than on wing.

I agree, he played very well but he just misses the offensive output.
And that's the problem this year. In 2013 he was playing with Trachlser and Bieber who are also able to create something in the offense without loosing their grit or physicality.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
GK:

Reto Berra, 6 GP, 88.07%

D

O

See Dino Wieser.

Well written, I am on the same page. In general to get tothe qf they would have needed just a little bit more of luck, or a better goaltending, or a less pathetic box play. Not more than one of these things. To go further than the qf would be a different thing though..
Experience on international level is lacking, together with some more solid blue liners.
Way too many stupid penalties given away and the Pk was simply not good enough to put a patch on it.
And the day this team will not choke against the Kazakhstan of the lot will never come too soon

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
And to think that we had a dedicated coach for the box play....I hope at least RVA doesn't get confirmed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad