WC: 2016 Team Switzerland

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
No thread for Switzerland yet?

It seems like all Swiss NHL-players beside Jonas Hiller told our new coach Patrick Fischer that they'd be available for the WC.

Fischer spoke also with some players who retired (Wick, Forster, Plüss). Wick and Forster said that they'll stick with their decision, Plüss said he'd decide after his season ended. It also seems that Sprunger is thinking about returning.

Most important thing for Switzerland is that Nashville looses the first playoff-round. :sarcasm:

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Hiller said he wants to stay in Amerika for family and to prepare world cup. What a joke, how can he thinks to have a spot with his weak play.
Anyway i wouldnt want him in the swiss squad for sure. Sorry to be harsh with him, but he should come in Switzerland to find a new team. I cannot imagine a franchise giving him a new contract for the next season.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I agree, a strong World Championship would also help to get a new contract.

But with Berra and Genoni there are two strong goalies.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What do you think about players like Tanner Richard / Lino Martschini or young players like Rod, Malgin, Suter and their chances?

Do you think that Fiala would be invited to the team if he was available?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Depends on who is available, as always. Chances for Rod, Malgin ans Suter are very small, I like Rod a lot, he has a lot of energy (sometimes a little bit too much) and he's probably the one who is the nearest to getting selected, but I doubt it.

Tanner Richard is very interesting, especially as we're short on Centers. If he's available I'm sure he'll get a least a look at. Martschini is an interesting player, no question, he has a a shot, but is not a lock yet, the main questino is if he's able to compete at this level with his size.

Fiala would get a call.

A Defence with
Josi-Diaz
Streit-Sbisa
Weber-Blindenbacher

would be very cool. :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
No thread for Switzerland yet?

It seems like all Swiss NHL-players beside Jonas Hiller told our new coach Patrick Fischer that they'd be available for the WC.

Fischer spoke also with some players who retired (Wick, Forster, Plüss). Wick and Forster said that they'll stick with their decision, Plüss said he'd decide after his season ended. It also seems that Sprunger is thinking about returning.

Most important thing for Switzerland is that Nashville looses the first playoff-round. :sarcasm:

No thread yet because there wasn't much to discuss yet ;)

Good thing that the NHL guys are interested. I'm not convinced by Fischer's tactics, but he sure knows how to get players to buy into his project. Just like he got Walker and Brunner to Lugano before any other team even had time to react.

Regarding Hiller, he's free to play in the world cup if he wishes so, but I hope that any one declining a national team call to rest for the world cup will get two weeks of rest in February 2018.

Regarding possible comebacks, not sure about Sprunger, he should get a look but his past performances speak against him. Plüss isn't the lock he would have been just one year ago, but given the center depth, he will get some consideration.

Depends on who is available, as always. Chances for Rod, Malgin ans Suter are very small, I like Rod a lot, he has a lot of energy (sometimes a little bit too much) and he's probably the one who is the nearest to getting selected, but I doubt it.

Tanner Richard is very interesting, especially as we're short on Centers. If he's available I'm sure he'll get a least a look at. Martschini is an interesting player, no question, he has a a shot, but is not a lock yet, the main questino is if he's able to compete at this level with his size.

Malgin is still far from making it, but I hope that Sutter gets a call for the first week of training camp. I don't think Rod has a chance. Not sure about Richard, it's not like he dominated the AHL and won't get a chance to join the training camp early to show what he can do.

Anyway, we're probably 10 days away from the first roster announcement, but with ZSC out there could be a pretty interesting team already.

Possible calls, off the top of my head:

ZSC: Flüeler, Blindenbacher, Geering, Siegenthaler, Trachsler, Schäppi, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Sutter
Zug: Stephan, Grossmann, Ramholt, Suri, Martschini
Fribourg: Rathgeb, Sprunger, Mottet
Kloten: Von Gunten, Frick, Bieber, Hollenstein
Ambri: Zurkirchen, Pestoni
Lausanne: Genazzi, Froidevaux

And probably some other names I forgot.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Herzog, Künzle, Chris Baltisberger, Bürgler, Schlumpf, Conz are other names which are possible in a first roster.

Blindenbacher got a concussion in the last game, I hope it's not a harsh one, he's a very important player.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I'm curious how the experiment with the coaching trio will work out.

Even when rva and fischer still were active players i've always thought these 2 guys could be potentialy good coaches. Fischer's always been quite a character, ambitious leader and though relaxed and funny the next minute. How honestly he finished his career, and regaining motivation by thinking (and talking) about a possible life beyond hockey, gave me the impression, he could act individually as a coach as well.

And rva has been thinking like a playing coach for many years. The potential is there, surely. Questionmark with him: does he know enough words to transfer his knowledge;)

But I'd definitely prefered them, to have started with some junior-selection instead of the big team. Fischers motivational talent could've paied dividents with the youngsters, after all those years with guys like bohren, celio or fust usw.
If they fail they fall hard, especially Fischer's career is in danger after his unlucky Luganoyears.
Thoughts?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
No
Regarding possible comebacks, not sure about Sprunger, he should get a look but his past performances speak against him. Plüss isn't the lock he would have been just one year ago, but given the center depth, he will get some consideration.

Malgin is still far from making it, but I hope that Sutter gets a call for the first week of training camp. I don't think Rod has a chance. Not sure about Richard, it's not like he dominated the AHL and won't get a chance to join the training camp early to show what he can

Possible calls, off the top of my head:

ZSC: Flüeler, Blindenbacher, Geering, Siegenthaler, Trachsler, Schäppi, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Sutter
Zug: Stephan, Grossmann, Ramholt, Suri, Martschini
Fribourg: Rathgeb, Sprunger, Mottet
Kloten: Von Gunten, Frick, Bieber, Hollenstein
Ambri: Zurkirchen, Pestoni
Lausanne: Genazzi, Froidevaux

And probably some other names I forgot.

Absolutely agree about sprunger, plüss and malgin.
Suter is a special case very dangerous goalscore, quite speedy and somewhat gritty, but he's still missing strengh and vista, especially when playing center, for beimg considered yet imo.
I think Rod s got a better chance thanks to his physics.

We could see a clash of the centes: young vs. Old (lets forget about the tweeners which are pretty much non existant)

Old: ambühl, romy, trachsler
Young:haas, corvi, richard, walser

Considering the coaches and the age of the oldies come the OGs in 2 years:
I'd guess its getting pretty close.

Richard has a very good chance to be an nhl-player next season, when not in tampa somewhere else. He should be a lock if available imo. High intensity, and an underrated playmaker.

In general I think its time for the 92/93 generation to take over the attack. The best generation swiss hockey has produced yet. Hofmann remains the most talented swiss player (AdC agrees ;) ) and should play himself into the nhl at the WHCs.

Attack 92/93: Nino Enzo Ghetto
Baertschi Haas Vermin
Lino Richard Hofmann
Künzle Walser Leone
(Bertaggia) (Lammer)

Voila, a full 14- men squad ;)

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
I'm curious how the experiment with the coaching trio will work out.

Even when rva and fischer still were active players i've always thought these 2 guys could be potentialy good coaches. Fischer's always been quite a character, ambitious leader and though relaxed and funny the next minute. How honestly he finished his career, and regaining motivation by thinking (and talking) about a possible life beyond hockey, gave me the impression, he could act individually as a coach as well.

And rva has been thinking like a playing coach for many years. The potential is there, surely. Questionmark with him: does he know enough words to transfer his knowledge;)

But I'd definitely prefered them, to have started with some junior-selection instead of the big team. Fischers motivational talent could've paied dividents with the youngsters, after all those years with guys like bohren, celio or fust usw.
If they fail they fall hard, especially Fischer's career is in danger after his unlucky Luganoyears.
Thoughts?

My toughts are than they were rushed at this position. The "gm" wanted so much a swiss coach than even if Babcock would offer his services, he wouldnt be picked. Ok, i m exagerate but it's not so far from the truth.
I think a national coach should do his proofs with a club or franchise before beeing in this place. And it s not the case for both Von Arx or Fischer. The first choice was Schlaepfer (not very good one imo), the second was Del Curto (he still hope he ll become the coach in the future). So they finally choice the swiss coachs leftover who are still available.

So let judge them after the worldchampionship, but i m not overconfident about this duo.

And it's clear than Von Arx beeing in the national staff after he refuses all his selections is more than awkward. But once again, let see what happens in few months.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
My toughts are than they were rushed at this position. The "gm" wanted so much a swiss coach than even if Babcock would offer his services, he wouldnt be picked. Ok, i m exagerate but it's not so far from the truth.
I think a national coach should do his proofs with a club or franchise before beeing in this place. And it s not the case for both Von Arx or Fischer. The first choice was Schlaepfer (not very good one imo), the second was Del Curto (he still hope he ll become the coach in the future). So they finally choice the swiss coachs leftover who are still available.

So let judge them after the worldchampionship, but i m not overconfident about this duo.

And it's clear than Von Arx beeing in the national staff after he refuses all his selections is more than awkward. But once again, let see what happens in few months.

Nothing wrong with a swiss coach, when quality is arround, but as you said, it seems a bit odd to put these young guys in charge, Fige is more proven though. Im actually looking forward to thhis WHC, they probably will play some quite optimistic hockey I suppose. With the right players, who knows... But could end pitiful as well.

Just hope it doesn't ruin their careers.

Yeah von Arx has quite a relationship with the nati. But to do him justice he has his fair share of merits as well, especially with the juniors, helping to get to a-class and several topscoring performances IIRC.
And last but not least I do understand him not to play under a simplistic brain-death gameplan as Ralphie tended to install :)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Absolutely agree about sprunger, plüss and malgin.
Suter is a special case very dangerous goalscore, quite speedy and somewhat gritty, but he's still missing strengh and vista, especially when playing center, for beimg considered yet imo.
I think Rod s got a better chance thanks to his physics.

We could see a clash of the centes: young vs. Old (lets forget about the tweeners which are pretty much non existant)

Old: ambühl, romy, trachsler
Young:haas, corvi, richard, walser

Considering the coaches and the age of the oldies come the OGs in 2 years:
I'd guess its getting pretty close.

Richard has a very good chance to be an nhl-player next season, when not in tampa somewhere else. He should be a lock if available imo. High intensity, and an underrated playmaker.

You know Swiss hockey is entering a new era when Duga put Ambühl in his center list! :D

I think Sutter will definitely get a look, he wouldn't be the worst player to be called for the first week of training camp. I think he has an outside chance of going to the Olympics in two years, but it will depend a lot on Romy and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i rather than on him.

In general I think its time for the 92/93 generation to take over the attack. The best generation swiss hockey has produced yet. Hofmann remains the most talented swiss player (AdC agrees ;) ) and should play himself into the nhl at the WHCs.

Attack 92/93: Nino Enzo Ghetto
Baertschi Haas Vermin
Lino Richard Hofmann
Künzle Walser Leone
(Bertaggia) (Lammer)

Voila, a full 14- men squad ;)

Never realised how deep this generation was. Players like Bertaggia or Lammer would be among to top Swiss prospects for your average birth year. Apart from Niederreiter and Bärtschi, I can see Haas, Martschini and Hofmann make the team this year already. Not sure about the AHL guys, they are always tricky to fit into the team.

Nothing wrong with a swiss coach, when quality is arround, but as you said, it seems a bit odd to put these young guys in charge, Fige is more proven though. Im actually looking forward to thhis WHC, they probably will play some quite optimistic hockey I suppose. With the right players, who knows... But could end pitiful as well.

Just hope it doesn't ruin their careers.

Yeah von Arx has quite a relationship with the nati. But to do him justice he has his fair share of merits as well, especially with the juniors, helping to get to a-class and several topscoring performances IIRC.
And last but not least I do understand him not to play under a simplistic brain-death gameplan as Ralphie tended to install :)

I think the situation could have been handled a lot better. If the plan was not to continue with Hanlon, it should have happend in June already. Getting rid of him right before the Deutschland cup without a clear plan was a terrible move, and it put the federation in a situation where being picky was not an option. Wanting a Swiss coach at all cost shouldn't have been an option.

Regarding Fischer, he showed some nice things with Lugano last season and deserves some credit for building the team, but their hockey was a bit naive at time. Then the way he was unable to manage their early season crisis doesn't make me feel comfortable, although, as Duga wrote, he has all the tools to become a good coach. I would have loved to have him as a GM and someone with more experience coaching.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
You know Swiss hockey is entering a new era when Duga put Ambühl in his center list! :D
:handclap:
It's both: him maturing his hockey I.Q. since replacing vonArx in Davos as well as the lack of centerdepth. still in a perfect world he'd be the dynamo in the 4th line on wing...

I think Sutter will definitely get a look, he wouldn't be the worst player to be called for the first week of training camp. I think he has an outside chance of going to the Olympics in two years, but it will depend a lot on Romy and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i rather than on him.

Im not convinced he passes any of Haas, Corvi, Richard, Walser till 18. plus there are also the Hischier's, Fuchs, Malgin in the mix. Rod and Hofmann are able to play C as well. lot of competition for the OGs... I like! (By the way I expect GK to be the weak spot for Switzerland very soon. But thats an other story...)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i though has fallen off a cliff, hasn't improved any of his major flaws he always had, and lost everything that made him special 3 years ago. Weak, soft and injury prone. We'll see if that will change post-crawford.

Never realised how deep this generation was. Players like Bertaggia or Lammer would be among to top Swiss prospects for your average birth year. Apart from Niederreiter and Bärtschi, I can see Haas, Martschini and Hofmann make the team this year already. Not sure about the AHL guys, they are always tricky to fit into the team.

+some nla depth/strong nlb players like senteler, kuonen, diem, neuenschwander, ness, schmutz, muller, grassi, neher, schneuwly usw. Its pretty impressive. The top 7 92 are all strong contenders for a NT spot IMO.

I agree about lino, haas, hofmann they could very well build a unit.

With ahl guys its always a bit a risk:
I do consider their past influence back in europe.
And even if the ahl might be a bit weaker than NLA, scoring is definitly harder in the AHL.
I' d say Vermin and Richard are ready, but probably not available this year, Bertschy isn'T ready and Fiala, well I'm undecided about this case.

Last edited:

kulenova seka

With little bit of luck (results in NHL and AHL - Fiala), Swiss could ice impressive team, better than 2013. one.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
An impressive team doesn't make an impressive result. ;)

Sbisa out week-to-week, I doubt that he's ready for the WC. Siegenthaler joins the Hershey Bears for the rest of the season.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Too bad for Siegenthaler, I would have loved to see him in training camp, even though he probably wouldn't have made it to the WC.

The defense could get a bit thin with Sbisa out, Blindenbacher injured in the last game, Blum and Diaz battling injuries throughout the season and Streit back in a playoff spot. Out of the four teams left in the NLA, only Furrer and Du Bois would be locks, and both had injury issues during the season as well.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And Kukan probably in the playoffs. Christian Marti should be available and is an interesting players. I'm also sure that Untersander got a notice in Fischers memo.

Find a season where Furrer and Du Bois didn't battle with injuries. ;)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
And Kukan probably in the playoffs. Christian Marti should be available and is an interesting players. I'm also sure that Untersander got a notice in Fischers memo.

Untersander should definitely get a look, but he's unproven. Never been impressed by Marti. Too bad that Kukan decided to go to the AHL, but he might still be out in the first round.

Good point! :laugh:

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com

Switzerland is not desperated at the point to have to call Marti. I think people are often a bit impressed by the fact some players go playing in AHL. But it does make them better than some other players staying here.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
With interesting player I meant if possible he should get a look. Couldn't see him play this season but from my memories he was a solid guy in the own end, big body. If he made some progress this year and if there are some injuries he could be a possibility. To get a contract with a NHL-franchise need some skills and some potential. Altough, Helbling also got one. :D

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Regarding Marti:
I've always seen a bit of Bezina in him. Physically strong, can throw his body around, hard shot, can intimidate his opponents, does like to contribute to the constructive game as well... Sometimes beyond his talent, which leads to horrible mistakes from time to time. And another analogy: he seems to lose all his offense once he crosses the pond, it was the same already when he played in theCHL a few years ago. I guess it has to do with lack of hockey IQ as well as missing quickness in decisionmaking which kills you in NA sized rinks.

When we consider how dominating the slovakien NT was a few weeks ago, he probablyshould get a look too. Maybe battling Sbisa and Helbling for 2(?) rosterspots?

Untersander looks good in the POs, does some smart plays, but everything looks a bit slow. We'll see if this will be exposed on international level...

I always liked Rathgeb, quick, shifty, excellent shot, nice hands and a bit of a mean streak as a topping.
He could have a long camp.

What do you think about Schneeberger? He does look abit like a lesser version of Josi. You think he got a chance?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yes, Rathgeb could be a dark horse. Don't know if he's ready yet, but his stats are impressing for a 20 y old and what I saw from him was cool.

There is no question that Sbisa has a roster spot if he's healthy.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Guys, it is the worldchampionship. Not friendly games.

I feel a bit strange when i hear some names as Schneeberger, Mottet, Rathgelb,Rod or Marti.
They are still unproved players. A guy like Rathgelb must improve and do - in minimum - a second season like this. He is still very young and his time will come for sure.

Ok Switzerland has not a very huge deepness but they are more proved guys before using these players we mentioned.

Am i the only one have this feeling?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Sure you are right, but you'll never know what happens. Who thought that Dominik Schlumpf would play WC two years ago?

All of those are interesting players. I see more in Rod, of course he needs to fix his checking, but I think he's very ready, he's playing his third NLA season, has a good size, skates very well and also has the skills. But of course the competition on his position is big.

Regarding experience, I thought Goran Bezina played very well today. :)

In goal I could see Mayer as the backup of Genoni, as long as Berra is injured.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Now that the semifinals are over earlier than expected, I wonder if Fischer will call the Geneva and Davos players for the first week of training camp or if he will give them some rest. It could be an unusual year with the WC starting later than usual and the NLA playoffs set to finish earlier than usual.

Guys, it is the worldchampionship. Not friendly games.

I feel a bit strange when i hear some names as Schneeberger, Mottet, Rathgelb,Rod or Marti.
They are still unproved players. A guy like Rathgelb must improve and do - in minimum - a second season like this. He is still very young and his time will come for sure.

Ok Switzerland has not a very huge deepness but they are more proved guys before using these players we mentioned.

Am i the only one have this feeling?

Much worse players than Schneeberger or Rathgeb have been called to the training camp. Remember that Mattias Rossi was part of the first roster last year.

I also remember an interesting quote by Hanlon last year where he said it was important to keep players who are too old to be eligible for the U20 team but not ready yet for the WC within the system. It can take 4-5 years between when a player plays in the U20 WC and the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad