WC: 2016 Team Slovakia

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Did you look same games as I?

1. Reway is huge disapointment. He shoud be in third line at the best, personally i would bench him..
2. On the other side Bartanus is one of our best players so far.

1. Jurco - Viedensky - Bartánus
2. Cehlárik - Dano - Skalicky
3. Bakos - Marcinko - Hudacek
4. Lusnak - Stastny - Dravecky

bench Hrnka, Reway if Dano will be still out, then second line with Marcinko and third with Reway.

Bartanus is one of our best players? :laugh: Sorry, but you can't be serious with that one. And yes, Reway is struggling, but putting him on a line with Bakos and Dravecky certainly won't help.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
Bartanus is one of our best players? :laugh: Sorry, but you can't be serious with that one.

In last game yes, he was one of the players who tryed to do something. He created few chances, after one of them Cehlarik scored a goal, he also passed to Dravecky who missed empty net.

And yes it was soo weak that this was enough for me to say he was one of our best players because almost all other players was on the lesson of figure skating.

And yes, Reway is struggling, but putting him on a line with Bakos and Dravecky certainly won't help.

Reway 3 games, 0 pt, -3
Bakos 3 games, 1 pt, -1
Dravecky 3 games, 2 pt, +1

Yes, Bakos and Dravecky are our main problem, Reway is great and all teams want to have first line center like he is.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
In last game yes, he was one of the players who tryed to do something. He created few chances, after one of them Cehlarik scored a goal, he also passed to Dravecky who missed empty net.

And yes it was soo weak that this was enough for me to say he was one of our best players because almost all other players was on the lesson of figure skating.

Reway 3 games, 0 pt, -3
Bakos 3 games, 1 pt, -1
Dravecky 3 games, 2 pt, +1

Yes, Bakos and Dravecky are our main problem, Reway is great and all teams want to have first line center like he is.

Overall, Bartanus has been one of the worst, if not the worst. Just like the rest of the team, he did nothing today.

And what did you want to say with those stats? The Bakos-Reway-Dravecky line simply doesn't work, and yes, Reway has been terrible. Why doesn't Ciger try to wake him up on a different line, then? If we want to be successful, we simply need Reway to pick his game up.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
In last game yes, he was one of the players who tryed to do something.

Yes, but he was terrible in the previous two. He is third line winger at most, even when other players suck at the moment.

No one is saying that, but it was again Ciger's fault to put Dravecky on the first line, when he knew that it din't work out in the exhibition games. We can't afford to put Reway to the press box. Just give him Cehlarik on the wing and easier minutes on the second line. Give more minutes to Viedensky line.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
For certain reason I expected this loss to happen. Germany has got a pretty good team. Except of Seidenberg, Kühnhackl and goalies they have almost an Olympic roster this year, while we are missing a lot of key players.
It's a good motivation for our players to put 100 % effort in comming games. Now they know, they aren't a World Champs after two games :laugh: The game vs. Belarus is the match of the truth. We must win, if we want to make it to QF. On the other hand Belarus will be fighting for their lives. In the case of their loss it will be a disaster championship for them. I expect one hell of the game :nod:

BTW As one of the biggest supporters of Réway on this forum I have to say he still need to work hard on many aspects of his game, if he want to become a player such as Pálffy or Demitra. One year in AHL would definitely help him...

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
For certain reason I expected this loss to happen. Germany has got a pretty good team. Except of Seidenberg, Kühnhackl and goalies they have almost an Olympic roster this year, while we are missing a lot of key players.
It's a good motivation for our players to put 100 % effort in comming games. Now they know, they aren't a World Champs after two games :laugh: The game vs. Belarus is the match of the truth. We must win, if we want to make it to QF. On the other hand Belarus will be fighting for their lives. In the case of their loss it will be a disaster championship for them. I expect one hell of the game :nod:

BTW As one of the biggest supporters of Réway on this forum I have to say he still need to work hard on many aspects of his game, if he want to become a player such as Pálffy or Demitra. One year in AHL would definitely help him...

It's not just a couple of NHL players they are missing but several Europe-based ones as well.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
So the only changes today are Hudacek in net and Skalicky instead of injured Hrnka. That's it, I'm done with this team. This will be the first game in maybe 15 years I'll not watch voluntarily.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016
So the only changes today are Hudacek in net and Skalicky instead of injured Hrnka. That's it, I'm done with this team. This will be the first game in maybe 15 years I'll not watch voluntarily.

Haven't been following it closely this time around, but that's one way to deal with it - do nothing

Must mean Ciger is only hoping for a miracle, and that things are much worse than we thought. Either Ciger thinks nothing else can be done, so the team is just in terrible mental shape, or the coach is terrible. lose-lose situation. But I hope to be proved wrong

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Did Jan Laco retire from the national team? Should Jaroslav Janos get more consideration for the national team?

I'm also curious about the following players:

Michal Kristof (played a couple of games in Liiga and is close to a PPG in Mestis, but 0 games with the national team).

Stanislav Horansky (good stats in NLB, played some games in NLA as well).

Michal Cajkovsky (regular defenseman in the Czech league with decent numbers).

Peter Ceresnak (same as Cajkovsky).

Mislav Rosandic (I remember him being great at the WJC. Played some games in the KHL and with the national team this season).

Are some of these not better options than the players from the slovak league?

I'm also curious about Matus Holenda and Daniel Gachulinec. I assume they are far away from the national team, but I remember liking them in the WJC and just wonder how they are playing in the slovak league. I remember thinking Gachulinec looked like Visnovsky in size and style.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Did Jan Laco retire from the national team? Should Jaroslav Janos get more consideration for the national team?

Michal Kristof (played a couple of games in Liiga and is close to a PPG in Mestis, but 0 games with the national team).

Mislav Rosandic (I remember him being great at the WJC. Played some games in the KHL and with the national team this season).

I'm also curious about Matus Holenda and Daniel Gachulinec. I assume they are far away from the national team, but I remember liking them in the WJC and just wonder how they are playing in the slovak league. I remember thinking Gachulinec looked like Visnovsky in size and style.

Laco was injured (back issues)
Janus (not Janos) is good, but nothing special also in Czech league.
Cajkovsky is injured. He was the lock, but unfortunately, in last games he did some bad thing to his body.
Ceresnak was in pre-tournament games. Not impressive.
Horansky and Kristof have future. But they must play in top level league.
Rosandic has a lot work to be a national team player. Maybe in some games in low-level tournaments, but WCH is for now about his level.
Holenda and Gachulinec... :amazed: How did you came to this names? Both 21 years old. Played in Slovak Extraleague. But they are far far away from national team.

One guy, that is very close is Denis Godla. Best goalie in Mestis, signed with Kaipa for next season.

hmmsk

Jan 6, 2016

Cajkovsky is injured, otherwise would be playing. Ceresnak didnt make the roster though he was considered. Laco had a long season and is out of contract ao didnt go, maybe had a niggling injury. Other guys wouldnt make the team by far. Guys with PPG in NLB and Mestis are still worse than eg Bartanus. Tomas Mikus had PPG in Mestis, look at his stats now in Czech.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Cajkovsky is injured. He was the lock, but unfortunately, in last games he did some bad thing to his body.
Rosandic has a lot work to be a national team player. Maybe in some games in low-level tournaments, but WCH is for now about his level.
Holenda and Gachulinec... :amazed: How did you came to this names? Both 21 years old. Played in Slovak Extraleague. But they are far far away from national team.

One guy, that is very close is Denis Godla. Best goalie in Mestis, signed with Kaipa for next season.

Again, Holenda and Gachulinec I was just curious to hear how they are doing because I liked them in the world juniors. Godla is a good one, should have NHL upside and if he was bigger he would probably have been drafted already. If he has a decent year in Liiga he'll probably make the slovak team in next years WC.

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava

Laco - no, he was injured and after he recovers he was not in his top form so Ciger just wanted to give chance to another players, because we have many great gk now.

Janus - in his top form, maybe but who knows if he can find it again ..

But I dont really believe that our main problem is in the net, we have many great experienced and many talented gks.

Definitely worth a try. I saw him this year and I think it can't be worse than what we played in last two games, so why not?

Scouting under Svehla and Ciger are terrible, if any. I'll be surprised if they know he exists.

no trips to look on NHL/AHL players, why the hell they should care about NLA/NLB players? :handclap:

Peter Ceresnak
He was in wider nomination to WC, but didnt make the roster.

Almost same situation like Ceresnak.

Ceresnak, Cajkovsky, Rosandic alongside with Jaroš and Luža has potential, and they can be valuable members of our national team in future, but it depends on them and also on many other factors (like national team coach, injuries, nhl/ahl/khl opportunity etc.). Ciger decided to take experieneced defenders (except for Jaros), five players played more then 100 games in national team (Granak 161, Meszaros 139, Sersen 103, Svarny 102, Sekera 101, Mikus 37, Marincin 29).

martin1983

Dec 27, 2013
Bratislava
News..

Sersen - broken leg, out from the tournament
Stastny - torn pectoral (chest) muscle, probably out from the tournament, too.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Speaking of players far away from the national team, are you familiar with the name Alex Vyhonsky? A co-worker of mine wrote a story on him when he was here and trying out for Pitea HC (top team in Sweden's 3rd league) prior to the season. He talked about corruption in slovak hockey.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195813

http://www.pt.se/sport/han-flydde-fran-korruptionen-9447709.aspx

You can't open the article without being a premium. But I'm posting the link anyways and here's my translation:

He escaped the corruption

Some dream of becoming the world's best hockey player. Others just want to compete on the same conditions as everyone else. Meet Alexander Vyhonsky who fled the corruption and is now getting a chance with Pitea Hockey. "I would be very happy if I get to stay here", he says.

Pitea HC hit the ice monday evening. With the team were old and new players. Tryout player Alexander Vyhonsky was a new face on the ice. The slovak didn't leave his home country because he wanted to, but because he didn't have a choice.

"My dream is to play hockey but everyone knows about the problems in my home country and therefor I came here".

The forward says he didn't stand a chance in Slovakia.

"It's a lot of corruption. You have to pay coaches and others in leading positions to get the chance. My family didn't have the money it takes, and that's why I went to a foreign country".

The days before the World Championship in Czech Republic in april a big scandal came to light. The Czech's head coach Vladimir Ruzicka was suspected of embezzlement during his time as a coach in club hockey. But the issue with bribery doesn't just exist in Czech Repbulic.

"It's the same in Slovakia excepts no one talks about it, but everyone knows it works the same way here. Players buy themselves onto teams", Alexander Vyhonsky says.

But maybe the dilemma gets more attention going forward. Recently 27 of Slovakias best hockey players protested against Igor Nemecek being re-selected as president for the hockey federation, as they believe the corruption will live on with him.

"The situation is a big problem, a lot of guys must be cleared away. Room should be made for people who are clean from the corruption. As it stands now, only more and more players will head to foreign countries because they don't get a fair chance in Slovakia", says Vyhonsky.

He is one of them. The 21 year old forward is 195 centimeters tall and showed a nice ability to finish during his first ice practice with Pitea. But his biggest strenght is his physique.

"I have never been a talent but I work hard and I love hockey".

Last season he recorded 38 points (19+19) in 28 games with Ness in Norway's 2nd league. And now he has come to Sweden.

"It is a better hockey country. My dream is to play here, make a name for myself and eventually play in allsvenskan".

No matter how it goes Vyhonsky has won what's most important, a chance to compete on the same conditions as everyone else.

Is this a fair picture of how hockey works in Slovakia right now?

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Is this a fair picture of how hockey works in Slovakia right now?
On one hand this is terrible. On the other hand this shouldn't affect the Slovak NT all that much because most of the most talented kids are IDed at a young age and would receive playing time anyways. Only a smaller group struggle to impress from youth and around the time the bill demands to be footed begin to flourish. Hopefully some sort of class action lawsuit is coming.

This combined with Ciger's magic and aging veterans might keep Slovakia well out of the top 6 for the foreseeable future though.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
Well. Let me tell you.. In my teen years (cca 10-16 years ago) I was playing in a club in Bratislava. To say it short and simple, the best and talented players never stayed, for some reason. The moment someone stood up above average, they just dissapeared. The rest of the lineup was altered by rich parents bribing the coaches to put their kids in the lineup, so few unlucky ones were always benched on the account of privileged kids. Hockey isn't a cheap sport, especially in country like Slovakia. I don't think much has changed since then to be honest.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto

Adam Huska (rangers prospect) as well, he was recently names USHL Goalie of the year.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
"I think we played good hockey, we were an equal opponent to them, we were keeping up with them during the whole game and we had scoring opportunities, we just failed to convert them."

This is what Pavol Skalicky said after the game vs Finland. My question is, what drugs is he taking?

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
"I think we played good hockey, we were an equal opponent to them, we were keeping up with them during the whole game and we had scoring opportunities, we just failed to convert them."

He was probably watching a different game, because I don't remember more than 1 or 2 scoring chances for Slovakia. Unless he meant those 1-2.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

This is what Pavol Skalicky said after the game vs Finland. My question is, what drugs is he taking?

Dont forget, This team is there to earn experience (words from many players, team management...) . Also the words from Skalicky are also a part of it.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Fire Ciger, was probably the most baffling coaching moment I have seen. Where did they even find this guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad