WC: 2016 Team Hungary

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, Gallo is playing in SHL, Sebok in Finnish Liiga and Erdely in USHL (junior league in North America), also too bad that Janos Hari, who will play in SHL next season, picked an injury. All four of them young guns. Other than that, perhaps Sofron who played in DEL last season (then changed to EBEL). A lot of others players come from MOL league.

Also five of the players are naturalised (Sarauer, Banham, Wehrs, Sagert, Dudas).

Some experienced players who are here already for quite a long time: Vas brothers, Kovacs, Hetenyi...

All in all, it will be a hard job for them to stay in Elite Division. Probably too hard, but you never know.

What about Norbert Hari?

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
Final Roster

Goaltenders:
Zoltán Hetényi
Miklós Rajna
Ãdám Vay

Defensemen:
Jesse Dudas
Zsombor Garát*
István Mestyán
Kalvin Sagert
Bence Stipicz*
Bence Szirányi
Márton Vas
Kevin Wehrs

Forwards:
Frank Banham
István Bartalis
András Benk
Csanád Erdély
Vilmos Galló
Csaba Kovács
Dániel Kóger
Bálint Magosi
Gergő Nagy
Krisztián Nagy
Andrew Sarauer
Balázs Sebők
István Sofron
János Vas

* Taking a couple of young defensemen to Russia. Stipicz and Garat are both 1997 born.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Hungarian hockey update. It seems like Budapest will either join the EBEL or the Slovak Extraliga.

I thought the Commissioner of EBEL had said that the league wouldn't expand for now? Or is some of the current teams (Olimpija?) withdrawing? A Budapest-based EBEL team would be great though.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I thought the Commissioner of EBEL had said that the league wouldn't expand for now? Or is some of the current teams (Olimpija?) withdrawing? A Budapest-based EBEL team would be great though.
They want to expand, but no "suitable candidates." Olimpija (failure to pay players) isn't withdrawing but may be kicked out, and Jesenice (lack of existent sponsors, bad excuse) won't be let in so there's the potential of zero teams in the EBEL next season. In that case the Slovenian hockey federation has threatened to back out of the IAHL (EBEL 2) as well, and the EBEL doesn't want that either. They don't want to lose out on Budapest, however, a 13 league team isn't their goal either, and Szekesferhaver is trying to keep Budapest out. EBEL is best for Budapest, in all ways, the EBEL is a better league than the mostly local Extraliga. If both Slovenian teams get kicked Slovenian hockey becomes essentially irrelevant. If Budapest is left out then Hungarian hockey could grow slower. It's all a big mess.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
They want to expand, but no "suitable candidates." Olimpija (failure to pay players) isn't withdrawing but may be kicked out, and Jesenice (lack of existent sponsors, bad excuse) won't be let in so there's the potential of zero teams in the EBEL next season. In that case the Slovenian hockey federation has threatened to back out of the IAHL (EBEL 2) as well, and the EBEL doesn't want that either. They don't want to lose out on Budapest, however, a 13 league team isn't their goal either, and Szekesferhaver is trying to keep Budapest out. EBEL is best for Budapest, in all ways, the EBEL is a better league than the mostly local Extraliga. If both Slovenian teams get kicked Slovenian hockey becomes essentially irrelevant. If Budapest is left out then Hungarian hockey could grow slower. It's all a big mess.

I see. So it remains unclear when would they move forward with the expansion.

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
Yeah, tomorrow there's a meeting at 1 PM Austrian time to discuss the whole deal. Slovenian hockey could literally be phased out of relevance tomorrow, and conversely Hungarian hockey could take a big step forward.

Well, Slovenia still produces great players who have a chance to play for foreign teams, Olimpija has only provided bottom-six players for their NT anyway, so I don't see Slovenia regressing even with Olimpija out of EBEL.

If you mean Slovenian club hockey, then it has been almost irrelevant for years as Olimpija is a lock for last place in the EBEL.

I haven't read anything about MAC going to Slovakia though. Miskolc has applied to do so and I think they will be accepted sooner or later, and MAC's focus is on the EBEL.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Well, Slovenia still produces great players who have a chance to play for foreign teams, Olimpija has only provided bottom-six players for their NT anyway, so I don't see Slovenia regressing even with Olimpija out of EBEL.

If you mean Slovenian club hockey, then it has been almost irrelevant for years as Olimpija is a lock for last place in the EBEL.

I haven't read anything about MAC going to Slovakia though. Miskolc has applied to do so and I think they will be accepted sooner or later, and MAC's focus is on the EBEL.
Slovenia needs the EBEL to give their prospects a stepping stone to higher development and greater careers. After Jesenice left the EBEL that well dried. Olimpija has been markedly less successful but without any Slovenian team in the EBEL the only chance they have of producing and developing good players are those 2 in 5 years exports who make it. Ziga Jeglic, Rok Ticar, I could go on but they all went through the EBEL and used that to secure contracts in higher leagues where they developed into better players. Without that, Slovenian hockey could be in a very precarious situation.

Bernd Freimuller reported competition for MAC with the Extraliga. I myself hadn't heard of it before. The Jesenice situation was exceptionally frustrating for Austrian fans. We wanted both Jesenice and Budapest, now it seems like we might get neither. In the short term a second Hungarian team might make both suffer in league play but it would eventually help the NT like having 2 teams helped Slovenia.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
They'll be in B Pool next year I'm afraid. If they win that then they'll be back in A for 2018.

Arguably, after beating Belarus decisively, Hungary deserved a better fate ( Methinks that many in A pool will miss them/their fans ). Alas, France failed to deliver. C'est la vie...

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
One day he might be.

Even a summer in the NHL might improve him enough that he overtakes Rajna and Hetényi. I'm not sure if he will ultimately land in either the NHL or the AHL, if he doesn't get there, he still might have the opportunity to come and play at the Worlds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad