WC: 2016 Team Czech Republic

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Czech's are playing well this game. Only 2-0 and they've had some very good offensive opportunities. Pickard is playing good.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
So this was +-4 players our best european core against average team Canada which playeed first match together? Don't know what to say....

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
So this was +-4 players our best european core against average team Canada which playeed first match together? Don't know what to say....

And what do you expect from european core + Pleks, Pasta? We were also missing Kempny, Cervenka or Kovar. They played real solid game, and they were not outplayed by Canada. We could see huge difference on PP, our power play is still terrible and our defencemen are not good enough in supporting offense. 5v5 play was pretty good with a lot of chances, we just couldn't burry anything... I mean, yeah it was first game for Canada but does it really matter? That is one elite team, they can bet anyone 1on1 and cycle the puck, you just can't expect much more from our team than what we did yesterday except for PP.

Average team Canada? Far from that. Maybe their defense and goaltending is average compared to their standards but the forward group is nearly elite.

It was a good game from our side if we consider everything.

I really liked Jarusek and Koukal, Pasta was again catalyst for our offense (but man, his post-game interviews are pretty terrible :laugh:). Kubalik, on the top line, was once again invisible, same for Vincour.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but with regards to goalies - Czechs have Neuvirth, Pavelec, Mrazek - all did not want to go?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Defenseman Tomáš Voráček and forward Tomáš Vincour were 2 last cuts. These 27 players have flown to Moscow earlier today.

Pavel Francouz
Dominik Furch
Matěj Machovský

Michal Kempný
Tomáš Kundrátek
Michal Jordán
Jan Kolář
Petr Zámorský
Jakub Jeřábek
Milan Doudera
Adam Polášek
Radim Šimek

Tomáš Plekanec
David Pastrňák
Roman Červenka
Jan Kovář
Tomáš Filippi
Petr Koukal
Lukáš Kašpar
Martin Zaťovič
Tomáš Zohorna
Robert Kousal
Jiří Sekáč
Richard Jarůšek
Michal Řepík
Michal Birner

22 players will be sign up for the first game against Russia (2 goalies, 7 defencemen, 13 forwards). Vůjtek is apparently still open for 2nd round play-off additions.

Thanks for prompt response!

You're welcome. :)

I expect to see regular updates from those lucky enough to be in attendance at today's game.

Have fun.

No need, the game is being streamed on tsn.ca. All is good in the world.

Thanks! It was a great and fun game!

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
And what do you expect from european core + Pleks, Pasta? We were also missing Kempny, Cervenka or Kovar. They played real solid game, and they were not outplayed by Canada. We could see huge difference on PP, our power play is still terrible and our defencemen are not good enough in supporting offense. 5v5 play was pretty good with a lot of chances, we just couldn't burry anything... I mean, yeah it was first game for Canada but does it really matter? That is one elite team, they can bet anyone 1on1 and cycle the puck, you just can't expect much more from our team than what we did yesterday except for PP.

Average team Canada? Far from that. Maybe their defense and goaltending is average compared to their standards but the forward group is nearly elite.

I really liked Jarusek and Koukal, Pasta was again catalyst for our offense (but man, his post-game interviews are pretty terrible :laugh:). Kubalik, on the top line, was once again invisible, same for Vincour.

I agree with this. Taking all things into consideration, we played very solid against stacked Canada. Jarusek gets better every game.

Also, I wonder how the **** do the PP trainings look like. All our age categories (U16, U17, U18, U19, U20, Men) have PP and PK problems. Every. ****ing. Time. I won't be surprised if we end up with the worst PP, PK and shooting % in the WCH.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What I think about our opening line-up against Russia... 2 goalies, 7 defencemen, 13 forwards.

Cervenka-Plekanec-Pastrnak
Sekac-Kovar-Kaspar
Birner-Filippi-Repik
Zatovic-Koukal-Jarusek
Kubalik

Kempny-Kundratek
Jerabek-Jordan
Kolar-Simek
Polasek/Zamorsky

Furch, Francouz

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

I agree we missed 5 players and the game looked good overal except PP. I even liked Kubalik this time. But how far we were from equalize it or even win it? I mostly react to some previous post here where somebody wished to see just team full of european players. Even the difference in skills was obvious. Nothing what would you find 15 ago. In terms of average I meant average for canadian level. Its not stacked team by any means...some forwards are elite though...

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I have a question here about Mrazek case. He refused to come because he is not having a contract. Is this seriously an issue? Even if he's get injured there I highly doubt they wouldn't offer him contract. Maybe less money? But common, I can not find any logical reason on Detroit side why they wouldn't offer him proper contract because he has "broken ankle" from WHC. They would be completely crazy leaving him to other teams....

Btw. what's the probability he would get injured?

I would agree if you are 4th liner on the NHL/AHL edge then there could be a risk that nobody wants you after that. But guys like Mrazek, Krejci, Plekanec, Palat. They will always be attractive for some teams.... I quite don't get it but I dont have any inside of that....

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I have a question here about Mrazek case. He refused to come because he is not having a contract. Is this seriously an issue? Even if he's get injured there I highly doubt they wouldn't offer him contract. Maybe less money? But common, I can not find any logical reason on Detroit side why they wouldn't offer him proper contract because he has "broken ankle" from WHC. They would be completely crazy leaving him to other teams....

Btw. what's the probability he would get injured?

I would agree if you are 4th liner on the NHL/AHL edge then there could be a risk that nobody wants you after that. But guys like Mrazek, Krejci, Plekanec, Palat. They will always be attractive for some teams.... I quite don't get it but I dont have any inside of that....

I agree with you.

No, it's not real issue and I think it is just good situation for him how to say 'no' and still have a good reason to back it up. It will probably work for Czech media / fans and that's it. I doubt that most of them are aware that there are 2 types of situation aka RFA/UFA. And Mrazek is obviously RFA. We all know that he will be resigned by Detroit, no matter what... He knows it. He's one of the best young, established goalies in the NHL, he obviously is in the future plans for Detroit, there's no reason to say 'No, I don't have contract' it is just an excuse in his case. I don't like it.

Situation is obviously very different in most of UFA cases... Hudler / Fleischmann / Vrbata etc. It is very obvious for them to refuse the invite when they don't have contract.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I agree with this. Taking all things into consideration, we played very solid against stacked Canada. Jarusek gets better every game.

Also, I wonder how the **** do the PP trainings look like. All our age categories (U16, U17, U18, U19, U20, Men) have PP and PK problems. Every. ****ing. Time. I won't be surprised if we end up with the worst PP, PK and shooting % in the WCH.

Lol, this has been an issue for at least 10 years. It's rather worrying to think that very little has changed since then......:cry:

It's also worth mentioning that Hertl is probably the only czech player we have right now who stands infront of the goaltender on PPs, something that none of our other players have managed to learn during their careers....so there's some hope :laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Why is Vrana not here?

He was adapting nice to the AHL and the Caps have enough depth on offense to not give him a call in case.

He is one of my favourite up and coming players league wide. His skating and i.q are great.

Babula

May 31, 2012
17 players for the tournament at the moment :

Francouz, Furch
Jeřábek, Jordán, Kempný, Kundrátek, Šimek, Kolář
Pastrňák, Plekanec, Červenka, Kovář, Řepík, Birner, Kašpar, Kousal, Zohorna.

for example : Sekáč, Koukal etc. are still waiting.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Yup, it's really unnecessary. Since the first day of training camp, Cervenka knew that he will be on Worlds. And quite frankly, I am okay with that, there's really not much to choose from. And Cervenka is capable of providing offense on big ice, he had good chemistry with Plekanec. Let's see how Cervenka does in 'real' games, games that matters. I am curious to see him play against Canada at tuesday.

It's got nothing to do with hate at all. He just isn't that good. He's soft for starters. How much longer do you want to give this guy so he can prove himself? He's 30 years old!

The issue myself (and a few others no doubt) have with him is that he doesn't show up in the games that matter. He excels against weaker teams and tends to disappear when it matters most, especially against strong teams. There is no way he is a first-line player on the national team. A third-liner on a good team. The fact that he is on line-1 in this championship tells you how strong our forward core is. I understand that we don't have much else to replace him, but that doesn't change my opinion on him.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Why is Vrana not here?

He was adapting nice to the AHL and the Caps have enough depth on offense to not give him a call in case.

He is one of my favourite up and coming players league wide. His skating and i.q are great.

He's still in the playoffs with Hershey Bears..
Otherwise he would be a nice addition for sure.. although I'm not so sure if the coaches would be even interested :help:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Jagr has signed 1 year extension with Florida Panthers. He will now commit to national team for WHC, lead Czech Republic to the GMG, he'll win Gold for Czech Republic with OT goal, he will also lead tournament in scoring. Tournaments MVP. It's all happening, you hear it here first!

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
17 players for the tournament at the moment :

Francouz, Furch
Jeřábek, Jordán, Kempný, Kundrátek, Å imek, Kolář
Pastrňák, Plekanec, Červenka, Kovář, Řepík, Birner, KaÅ¡par, Kousal, Zohorna.

for example : Sekáč, Koukal etc. are still waiting.

This is really weird...

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Jagr has signed 1 year extension with Florida Panthers. He will now commit to national team for WHC, lead Czech Republic to the GMG, he'll win Gold for Czech Republic with OT goal, he will also lead tournament in scoring. Tournaments MVP. It's all happening, you hear it here first!

I think the contract was never an issue for Jagr.. :)
But otherwise nice story.. wouldn't be against it.. was hoping for this kind of scenario last year, at least the MVP came off well.. :laugh:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
This is really weird...

I was thinking the same... :help:
Koukal over Kousal and Zohorna is a no brainer. Sekac didn't stand out as much as he should, but I would still nominate rather him than Kousal or Zohorna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad