2016 Tank & Rebuild Thread: 5 pts Between Us & EDM...But CGY boy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Feels like all the lottery changes have discouraged teams somewhat from trying to finish last (except last year), but encouraged teams in the #5-10 range to tank now that their odds of moving up are so much better. So instead of having 2-3 teams tanking we now have like 8 of them.

yeuuup.they should have just left it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
yeuuup.they should have just left it.
Kind of funny how it turned out. Honestly if they wanted to stop the Oilers just make a specific rule about getting too many top 3 picks in a certain number of years.

Instead they hilariously encouraged everyone to tank. After all the odds are so bad for any given team that finishing bottom 10 gives you a fair shot at a top 3 pick.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
:laugh: right? like that was the very first thing I said. the Leafs have an insane amount of RFAs they have to qualify and a good chunk of them are going to be waiver fodder. I don't think management is stupid and isn't aware of this situation, which is why I would gather that they are going to assess what needs to stay and go and move accordingly.

you don't QUALIFY everyone. you can't. (simply due to contract and cap space).
and those who are qualified - I think the Leafs will have to take the chance of losing them on waivers. (the trick is to figure out which ones can hide - ie -a Carrick vs. who can't - ie - a Leivo (who will imo make the team, if he's with the organization). )

i understand that it's simply stating what we've got in the system - I just don't think that every piece in the system is going to remain there - for the main fact that the Leafs aren't going to have a team full of rookies, first of, and they'll probably do what they did to get Grabner (but this time get a better person).

JVR--Stammer- Nylander

Komarov-Kadri-Sosh

Michalek--Boz--Marner

Leivo--Laich--Holland

greening ,Vesey/hyman

Reils,--hunwick

gards--zaitsev

carric,carrado,harrington,percy,,marincin,loov

and thats with making robi,cown,lupul disappear.

so what I was hinting at DJ, I really think we are done with taking in cap dumps.

the year after that 4 forwards gone, michalik,greening,laich,boz , room for the rest of the kids

and probably a couple of D spots open up. hunwick and a waiver loss or two.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Haha wow, the Jets manage to lose by having a goal scored off their own players face in overtime.
Well more like off his face and it drops down perfectly for the Islanders player to shoot it in. Horrible luck all over the place. Guy gets hurt and because it deflects and drops like that the goalie can't possibly get in position for the shot.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Kind of funny how it turned out. Honestly if they wanted to stop the Oilers just make a specific rule about getting too many top 3 picks in a certain number of years.

Instead they hilariously encouraged everyone to tank. After all the odds are so bad for any given team that finishing bottom 10 gives you a fair shot at a top 3 pick.

I honestly don't get why they did it. Like honestly, and it's not even because we could get screwed - it's stupid. Bad teams are bad. let them get their cookie. Why should someone who just missed the playoffs get the chance to get a franchise changer because they had a slow start or something? or they sucked in the penalty shot (something that hurt the Leafs once upon a time).

Though If I am being honest. I am still team no more draft, and just let teams sign players willy nilly.

Yeah I don't want that guys 18 wheeler to get Matthews with Monahan and Bennett thanks. Mr. Ego saying see, I can build a team. I'll puke.

I hate that Burke is in Calgary. They were one of my other teams and I wanted them to do wellish. Not anymore though. i'd rather Edmonton in that spot if I had to choose.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I honestly don't get why they did it. Like honestly, and it's not even because we could get screwed - it's stupid. Bad teams are bad. let them get their cookie. Why should someone who just missed the playoffs get the chance to get a franchise changer because they had a slow start or something? or they sucked in the penalty shot (something that hurt the Leafs once upon a time).

Though If I am being honest. I am still team no more draft, and just let teams sign players willy nilly.
Yeah, I honestly don't get it. People are obsessed with tanks and such, but what is the issue in general? I mean bad teams sell off parts they don't need, draft high, and turn it around. There is nothing wrong with that.

But no, because Edmonton picked low over and over and over again, the league got embarrassed. Felt like they had to take a stand against people cheering for teams to lose and stopping Edmonton from making a mockery of the NHL by picking high. I honestly think them getting McDavid with how horrible they have been just pushed execs over the edge and they said "screw it, everyone suffers for this."

It's dumb. You just slow down teams turning things around by doing this. Bad teams need the high picks and potentially bumping them down 3 spots just doesn't do them any favors.

It's not as bad as it could be honestly. They could just completely randomize the picks for non-playoff teams and just make it a trainwreck.

I hate that Burke is in Calgary. They were one of my other teams and I wanted them to do wellish. Not anymore though. i'd rather Edmonton in that spot if I had to choose.
Same....I want nothing good to come to that team now. I did like the Flames, but not with Burke there. He screws everything up here, leaves a mess behind and now he has the nerve to do it properly? Thanks a whole lot!

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

To make matters worse, he's building a team slowly through the draft "the right way" like he promised leafs fans all those years ago. Even now that he has a young core in place he still isn't dumb enough to move a few high firsts again. Everyone and their grandmother knew those would be high picks.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It's not as bad as it could be honestly. They could just completely randomize the picks for non-playoff teams and just make it a trainwreck.
t!

With a competent scouting staff you can turn a team around without high picks. Whether that team becomes a legitimate cup contender is another story.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Same....I want nothing good to come to that team now. I did like the Flames, but not with Burke there. He screws everything up here, leaves a mess behind and now he has the nerve to do it properly? Thanks a whole lot!

yeah. and what irritates me is that he's getting the same credit that he got in Anaheim (which was all of it) even though Bryan Murarry realllly did a lot of the hard heavy lifting, and Burke got lucky with Pronger, and R. Neidermayer etc.

Fester was the one who did the majority of the work in Calgary, down to hiring Hartley, but everyone is all "Hail Burke, Praise Burke"

I really have nothing against Flames fans (even though we told them that they'd regress badly - though their goaltending sucks bananas, and they didn't believe us), and really if Burke wasn't there, I'd be "okay" with it (I mean they DO have Monahan, Brodie, and Gaudreau, - they don't need another elite stud up there, but I could live with it). Now?

Ideally it works out like
We win
Western Non-Canadian Team
Western-Non Canadian Team
Calgary.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
JVR--Stammer- Nylander

Komarov-Kadri-Sosh

Michalek--Boz--Marner

Leivo--Laich--Holland

greening ,Vesey/hyman

Reils,--hunwick

gards--zaitsev

carric,carrado,harrington,percy,,marincin,loov

and thats with making robi,cown,lupul disappear.

so what I was hinting at DJ, I really think we are done with taking in cap dumps.

the year after that 4 forwards gone, michalik,greening,laich,boz , room for the rest of the kids

and probably a couple of D spots open up. hunwick and a waiver loss or two.

that is a lot of rookies on this team. I simply don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad