2016 Tank & Rebuild Thread: 5 pts Between Us & EDM...But CGY boy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Overall I would say tonight was a great night for the tank. :handclap:

If Calgary and Buffalo could have went to overtime that would have been even better, however I won't complain since the Oilers won again and the Leafs lost in regulation.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I honestly don't get why they did it. Like honestly, and it's not even because we could get screwed - it's stupid. Bad teams are bad. let them get their cookie. Why should someone who just missed the playoffs get the chance to get a franchise changer because they had a slow start or something? or they sucked in the penalty shot (something that hurt the Leafs once upon a time).

Though If I am being honest. I am still team no more draft, and just let teams sign players willy nilly.

I've always thought they should have just drawn up a formula based on past top selections and performance over the past three seasons.

Teams which miss three years in a row would be the odds on favorites (missed-missed-missed), with reduced odds for those who have missed (made-missed-missed) in consecutive years, and again reduced for those who have missed in two of three (missed-made-missed). The remaining teams (made-made-missed) would be slotted by their standings at year-end. Then add a rule disqualifying last year's lottery winner from the #1 overall draw (i.e. can't win two consecutive years) along with those teams who have picked top 3 in two of the last three years (i.e. can't pick in the top 3 more than twice in a three year span). If a disqualified team won the lottery, they'd be placed 2nd/4th (depending on why they were disqualified) and the next team(s) drawn would get the #1/top 3 selection.

Success and Rebuilding aren't 1 year processes, yet the draft -- the express purpose of which is to distribute talent -- treats it as one. A team like Pittsburgh could theoretically miss the playoffs and win the lottery, slotting Matthews alongside Malkin and Crosby. Meanwhile a team like Edmonton wins the lottery in 4 of 6 years. How is that spreading talent around? It isn't. It's nothing short of stupidity how it's setup today.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
yeah. and what irritates me is that he's getting the same credit that he got in Anaheim (which was all of it) even though Bryan Murarry realllly did a lot of the hard heavy lifting, and Burke got lucky with Pronger, and R. Neidermayer etc.

Fester was the one who did the majority of the work in Calgary, down to hiring Hartley, but everyone is all "Hail Burke, Praise Burke"

I really have nothing against Flames fans (even though we told them that they'd regress badly - though their goaltending sucks bananas, and they didn't believe us), and really if Burke wasn't there, I'd be "okay" with it (I mean they DO have Monahan, Brodie, and Gaudreau, - they don't need another elite stud up there, but I could live with it). Now?

Ideally it works out like
We win
Western Non-Canadian Team
Western-Non Canadian Team
Calgary.
To be honest if we could win the first overall pick I don't even care who gets the second pick :). As long as we're ahead of teams like....all the other Canadian teams and draft first I'm ok with it.

He really does get so much credit and yet...all the points you make there.

If he wasn't there I wouldn't be too bothered with how things turn out for Calgary. They have some nice pieces, but they don't have Edmonton level of nice pieces. But with Burke....bah!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I've always thought they should have just drawn up a formula based on past top selections and performance over the past three seasons.

Teams which miss three years in a row would be the odds on favorites (missed-missed-missed), with reduced odds for those who have missed (made-missed-missed) in consecutive years, and again reduced for those who have missed in two of three (missed-made-missed). The remaining teams (made-made-missed) would be slotted by their standings at year-end. Then add a rule disqualifying last year's lottery winner from the #1 overall draw (i.e. can't win two consecutive years) along with those teams who have picked top 3 in two of the last three years (i.e. can't pick in the top 3 more than twice in a three year span). If a disqualified team won the lottery, they'd be placed 2nd/4th (depending on why they were disqualified) and the next team(s) drawn would get the #1/top 3 selection.

Success and Rebuilding aren't 1 year processes, yet the draft -- the express purpose of which is to distribute talent -- treats it as one. The old system rewarded failure and as Flare said, this new one hasn't changed that. It has only increased the number of teams trying to stink down the stretch.

oou i like your idea.

and i agree with your last sentiment.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
that is a lot of rookies on this team. I simply don't see it.

what rookies?

Nylander and mariner are done with their leagues, nothing to grow there

hyman will be 24

sosh 23

carric 22

carado and the likes 23

Vesey 23

zaitsev 25

there is only two kids on that team willi,marner.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides finishing last and getting the best odds for picking 1st overall there is something I think others forget about that. If Toronto finishes 30th overall it means getting the first pick in rounds 2-7 since those rounds are determined by the standings and no draft lottery.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
what rookies?

Nylander and mariner are done with their leagues, nothing to grow there

hyman will be 24

sosh 23

carric 22

carado and the likes 23

Vesey 23

zaitsev 25

there is only two kids on that team willi,marner.

okay.
I don't see them having that many young players o the team at once. just because they are 23, doesn't mean they still aren't rookies. I'll be very surprised if that is the case next year.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm pretty confident Vesey will stay in Nashville. If you've read his Players Tribune piece you can get a sense of where his priorities are. The guy is a Boston kid who simply wanted to enjoy the college experience and get a degree. Gave the impression he would have turned down any NHL opportunity so that he could finish college.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
starting to get scared about the flames and coyotes. Arizona-7 straight losses and 13 of their last 16 games.

Other teams aren't going to make this easy on us. Our resilience will inevitably be put to the test. We only deserve that coveted 30th overall finish if we can lose under great adversity, and that's what we are facing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad