e3HqE23p.jpg

rio_banner_base_template.png

OLYMPIC AQUATICS STADIUM

JlcR9KNp.jpg
a5fmQTdf.jpg

rio_banner_base_template.png

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Watching Men's USA vs Croatia. End of 1st. Two beautiful goals by the US have been negated by bad decisions. The first Croatian goal came off of a counter attack after a poorly selected blocked shot by the US. The second came from a penalty shot after a foul.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
3-3 at halftime. USA defense coming up huge to hold Croatia to what they've got as the the shot totals favor them. Big saves by the US Keeper already into double digits.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
End of 3rd quarter 5-4 Croatia. Merrill Moses the US Keeper was replaced at the half. US is wasting offensive opportunities and taking poor shots.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
End of 3rd quarter 5-4 Croatia. Merrill Moses the US Keeper was replaced at the half. US is wasting offensive opportunities and taking poor shots.

A lot of wasted possessions and head scratching shot choices. Especially in these last 2 quarters. Making it a little too easy on the Croatian defenders and keeper.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm assuming that has to be a huge upset. Didn't the US invent water polo?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
A lot of wasted possessions and head scratching shot choices. Especially in these last 2 quarters. Making it a little too easy on the Croatian defenders and keeper.

They looked like two different teams between the first and second halves. There's still quite a few games left to play, but this definately feels like a waste.

7-5 Croatia final.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
They looked like two different teams between the first and second halves. There's still quite a few games left to play, but this definately feels like a waste.

7-5 Croatia final.

Yep, completely agree with you. Certainly a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes to offensive tactics. I expect they'll adjust and this will serve as a good wake up call.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Not a good start for the US.

For the men's team at least. The women's team is looking pretty solid with a strong core from the gold medal London team returning. If there's any worries it's with their coach who just left the team to be with his family due to his brother passing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Idk if a loss against Croatia is the worst thing in the world. Iirc the Women's team is stronger anyway.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If Serbia don't win this time around something will have gone terribly wrong for them... the last ~year they have looked close to unbeatable.

Prlainović, Pijetlović, Mandić & Filipović... just unfair to be able to have all those 4 on the same team.

That being said they always seem to crumble at the Olympics...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I hope Montenegro do well personally... mainly because of Gojković.

Loved him as a player and he seems to be a pretty good coach too.

Met him twice as well and he seemed like a really nice guy who just loved the sport so much. He even got me and one of my club-mates to get in the training pool before Montenegro played to give him passes for one-timers as none of the other Montenegrin's had started warming up yet... he was always in warming up like 20mins before anyone else!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
something I always wondered how deep is the water polo pool?

It varies from pool to pool but they typically use the same pools they host swim races in. Either way the rule is you can't touch the bottom of the pool to get some kind of advantage. So you can't like drop down to the bottom and push up to sneak surprise someone on the other team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It varies from pool to pool but they typically use the same pools they host swim races in. Either way the rule is you can't touch the bottom of the pool to get some kind of advantage. So you can't like drop down to the bottom and push up to sneak surprise someone on the other team.

Yeh, it is usually ~3m deep in international competition. Some places have only ~2.5m and host international games... but rare. I know Fina really like having 3m or more, understandable when pretty much every team has a few guys who are ~2-2.1m tall. ~2.5m is just too shallow really.

Pretty sure every recent Olympic pool has been ~3-3.5m deep. Pretty much perfect depth... anything more than ~3.5m is a bit too deep for me, especially if you play either pit D or pit O... if you get pushed down at the end of a possession by your opponent it is annoying as hell to get back into the play!

Maria Lenk Aquatic Center looks 3m to me from the underwater shots.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well Britain really missed a trick at London.

Instead of investing all the money in developing youngsters over an ~8 year period they should have gone out and spent the money on buying some proven top class players like Brazil have! :laugh:

~5-6 players in the Brazilian team who were 'bought'... a national team with a yearly salary structure that would eclipse most of the big teams in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad