2016 Rio Olympics | TENNIS | August 6th thru August 14th | Bravo/CBC/TSN |

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
The crowd has been like that all tournament long, though.

They viciously boo 'USA' chants. They were cheering like crazy at double faults. Bunch of hooligans.

Nothing hooligan about cheering faults and booing teams you don't root for.

What annoyed me was the noise before each serve. When it's time to shut the **** up, shut the **** up. I don't know what they get out of making unnecessary noises.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Congrats to Puig. I believe that's Puerto Rico's first ever gold medal at the Olympics-certainly on the women's side. Congrats as well to Ram/Williams and Sock/Mattek-Sands who will face off for gold in mixed dubs. Jack had a nice Olympics. Winning bronze in men's dubs (w/Steve Johnson who himself had a nice Olympics giving Nadal all he could handle in the quarters) and then either silver/gold in mixed dubs.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Congrats to Puig. I believe that's Puerto Rico's first ever gold medal at the Olympics-certainly on the women's side. Congrats as well to Ram/Williams and Sock/Mattek-Sands who will face off for gold in mixed dubs. Jack had a nice Olympics. Winning bronze in men's dubs (w/Steve Johnson who himself had a nice Olympics giving Nadal all he could handle in the quarters) and then either silver/gold in mixed dubs.

First Gold medal EVER for Puerto Rico.

Oct 18, 2006
Puig!!! Been a fan for a bit now, and she's been posting Olympic stuff for a while on Instagram, so nice to see her experience just get better and better and end up in the greatest possible result. Well done!!!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd pick Murray in the final, but am rooting for Del Potro. If that forehand is on, who knows?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Nothing hooligan about cheering faults and booing teams you don't root for.

What annoyed me was the noise before each serve. When it's time to shut the **** up, shut the **** up. I don't know what they get out of making unnecessary noises.

You haven't seen this sort of behaviour at other Olympics. Certainly the host crowd get vociferously behind their home athletes but not to the extent of booing opponents or getting upset that other countries fans are supporting their team.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nishikori breaks for 3-1 in the third set as Rafa seems low energy all of a sudden....and Kei, not the best of closers by any means, hangs on the rest of the way with help from his serve which has developed a little bite. Well earned Bronze Medal.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2-0 in the first set for Murray and already there are danger signs all over the place for Juan Martin...but Andy, surprisingly, doesn't consolidate the break, 2-1.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Andy breaks right back at love, 3-1. Doubt he will stumble a second time....and this time he doesn't. He's now won eight straight points to regain his lead....but I'll be damned if Andy doesn't cough up another break the next time around, 4-3. He should be cruising but he keeps shooting himself in the foot. Del Potro is playing okay now, but not really putting any genuine pressure on. This is all on Andy.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3rd break lucky for Andy, 7-5. Strange little set.

And now Juan Martin breaks at the start of the second set. 1-love and here we go again.

This has turned into a great set with no further service breaks for either player.

Juan Martin wins on his 4th set point. We are going to a third.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad