2016 Rio Olympics | SWIMMING | August 6th thru August 13th | NBC/CBC |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Watching both CAN and USA reactions to last nights race was truly incredible.

As a Canadian I'm so so proud of this small country making a splash in the pool.

Laying in bed watching the race.... with no hopes of a medal half way through. Both my bf and I jumping out of bed cheering at the win. It's truly amazing.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I missed the medal ceremony on the tie.... Did they give 2 golds, a silver, and a bronze?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It is measured to the hundredth of a second. A tie is totally fine. They literally tied... To a hundredth of a second. If they want to eliminate ties measure it to a ten thousandth of a second. But they don't even need to do that. You would literally be getting down to how far away each lane is from the sound to start the race and how fast the speed of sound is for the athletes to hear it from a few more meters away.

You don't have a silver. You get two gold. Measured so close that it is really useless to measure further.

An actual race with 8 people in it is not something that you can just redo the next day and say it is the same thing. In many sports you just play a little longer to break a tie. In swimming that does not make sense. I bet both medalists and both countries could care less about sharing the gold. It doesn't diminish either athlete at all.

Anyway. Totally disagree with you.

regarding ties in swimming - there is a reason why they wait to post the official list. (and again that's why CBC/NBC was confused) They actually check the race tape and ensure that in fact they touched AT The same time. I've seen ties broken and by the smallest of seconds.

Again, if you watch the race - by Simone Manuels name she has the OR by her name, and that's it. Penny's name had #1.

the perfect reactions is looking at Penny's family.
Mom + Sister were looking at Penny and freaked out.
Jamie + Dad looked at the scoreboard and were confused. Note they both looked away to the pool. then Mom and the sister looked at the board and freaked out. they must have posted the list then, and then Mom hugs Dad and Hilary is hugging Jamie and it's like ohhh.

or even listening to the two broadcasts. NBC + CBC had no clue it was officially a tie until about 3 minutes of breaking down the race. They both went IT'S A TIE in that shocked, "this is cool." voice.

There doesn't need to be a "swim off" or anything like that. they tied. they checked, and it's official. that's all we need to know.

Excellent posts and well said by both of you, I couldn't agree more.

The rarity of a tie in swimming is so uncommon, especially when it comes to final heats, having a "swim-off" would be disrespectful and unfair to these athletes who put everything into a race. I think it's a neat piece of history for Penny and Simone to be tied to each-other too; both with Olympic records, Simone the first African American individually to win Gold, Penny first Canadian Summer Olympian to win 4 medals, youngest to win Gold etc.

Interesting to note that Canada has been involved in both ties in swimming finals these Olympics, Kylie Maase the other in 100m back to virtually tie.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
I can't believe this thread is going to hit part II. I'll make the 2nd version after this morning's heats if a mod wants to lock it until this one hits 1000.

I've really enjoyed reading your insight and analysis into the world of competitive swimming. It's one of my favourite disciplines at the Summer Olympics, but it's nice to be able to read your posts and learn about the sport in greater detail.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
CBC needs to get this clown off TV. Its absolutely embarrassing to have a grown man cry on the air while calling the events.
Didn't bother me in the least.

Just getting caught up with this thread. Great thread.

Looks like Canada's Sportsperson of the Year award is already a lock. What a great Games for Oleksiak. Who saw this coming this early?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've really enjoyed reading your insight and analysis into the world of competitive swimming. It's one of my favourite disciplines at the Summer Olympics, but it's nice to be able to read your posts and learn about the sport in greater detail.

Thanks, appreciate the kudos. Spent a lot of my childhood around the pool watching my Sister swim for Canada so I vicariously learned about the sport thanks to and through her.

The combination of the technical, physical and competitive aspects of the sport and how all three come together is what I love most about it. So much fun to watch.

Oct 18, 2006
These are top level athletes. Getting beaten is not a failure. They got beaten by other great athletes. Australia is a top notch athletics and swimming country. All their athletes got the money and training needed... And they just didn't win. Not a failure. Not a choke. Top level, best trained athletes sometimes finish 5th or 6th. It is just what happens.
Seriously? Cate Campbell beaks the WR 6 weeks ago, finishes 6th, and it's not a choke? Not a failure? Yeah, it is.

Mitch Larkin and Seebohm won 4 world championship golds between them last year. They combined for ONE silver in those same events. Failure.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
For the record, I totally followed Penny on Twitter after the race. Simone too. It seems every 2 years my following list explodes.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It is measured to the hundredth of a second. A tie is totally fine. They literally tied... To a hundredth of a second. If they want to eliminate ties measure it to a ten thousandth of a second. But they don't even need to do that. You would literally be getting down to how far away each lane is from the sound to start the race and how fast the speed of sound is for the athletes to hear it from a few more meters away.

You don't have a silver. You get two gold. Measured so close that it is really useless to measure further.

An actual race with 8 people in it is not something that you can just redo the next day and say it is the same thing. In many sports you just play a little longer to break a tie. In swimming that does not make sense. I bet both medalists and both countries could care less about sharing the gold. It doesn't diminish either athlete at all.

Anyway. Totally disagree with you.

CBC actually mentioned this earlier in the events......that's why the IOC moved from a starting gun, to an electronic beep that is heard under each starting block. That ever-so-slight difference from lane 1 to lane 8 in terms of how quickly they hear the starting gun. It's a fraction of a second, and the swimmer would have to take advantage of that fraction of a second, but as we just saw, that makes all the difference between silver and gold.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks, appreciate the kudos. Spent a lot of my childhood around the pool watching my Sister swim for Canada so I vicariously learned about the sport thanks to and through her.

The combination of the technical, physical and competitive aspects of the sport and how all three come together is what I love most about it. So much fun to watch.

As I watched the race, I thought of you and wondered if you would be more excited for Oleksiak or Manuel. Kind of surprised how much it was in Penny's favor. ;)

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
CBC actually mentioned this earlier in the events......that's why the IOC moved from a starting gun, to an electronic beep that is heard under each starting block. That ever-so-slight difference from lane 1 to lane 8 in terms of how quickly they hear the starting gun. It's a fraction of a second, and the swimmer would have to take advantage of that fraction of a second, but as we just saw, that makes all the difference between silver and gold.

I listened to the radio this morning during work and they mentioned that they don't go further then to a hundreth of a second because the lane may differ a tiny bit in length and that could make a different if they went to a thousandth of a second. So there's probably a lot of factors to take in to consideration

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
As I watched the race, I thought of you and wondered if you would be more excited for Oleksiak or Manuel. Kind of surprised how much it was in Penny's favor. ;)

Haha, surprising myself as well. I never expected a phenom in swimming to emerge from, of all places, Canada, just blows my mind how good she is at 16. It makes me so excited for Swimming Canada and their program going forward.

So happy for Simone as well, though. Becoming the African American female to win individual to win Gold is incredible. Really, the race was a fairy tale result, couldn't have scripted it any better. :nod:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Canadians sure love to tie in the pool. Van Landaghem tied third in her heat.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Any math+swimming experts here?

While watching and learning swimming for the past week, the times and parity of it fascinates me. A few hundreths of a second is tiny!

I keep coming back to one question though....
How much distance is between a hundreth of a second? Now the answer to each race would obviously be different due to different speeds of swimming events...
But are we talking like a hundreth of a second is a couple millimeters? And inch? 6 inches?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Any math+swimming experts here?

While watching and learning swimming for the past week, the times and parity of it fascinates me. A few hundreths of a second is tiny!

I keep coming back to one question though....
How much distance is between a hundreth of a second? Now the answer to each race would obviously be different due to different speeds of swimming events...
But are we talking like a hundreth of a second is a couple millimeters? And inch? 6 inches?

That's a good question. A lot of variables though because an individual swimmer's speed varies throughout an entire race and so does that of their opponents.

I'm nowhere near smart enough to even begin to understand how you'd calculate all those variables... :scared:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've got a good question that I've never seen.

How deep is the pool?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The world record in the 100m freestyle is 46.91s. That puts the average speed at 2.13m/s. 1/100th of a second would be about 2cm. As was posted above, those speeds change throughout the race. Not sure if the touch is faster or slower than the rest? Certainly slower than the initial dive into the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad