Not open for further replies.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
rio_banner_base_template.png

--> 2016 Rio Swimming Schedule <--

August 6th: Men's 400m Individual Medley Final ||| Men's 400m Freestyle Final ||| Women's 400m Individual Medley Final ||| Women's 4x100m Freestyle Relay Final

August 7th: Women's 100m Butterfly Final ||| Men's 100m Backstroke Final ||| Women's 400m Freestyle Final ||| Men's 4x100m Freestyle Relay Final

August 8th: Men's 200m Freestyle Final ||| Women's 100m Backstroke Final ||| Men's 100m Backstroke Final ||| Women's 100m Breaststroke Final

August 9th: Women's 200m Freestyle Final ||| Men's 200m Butterfly Final ||| Women's 200m Individual Medley Final ||| Men's 4x200m Freestyle Relay Final

August 10th: Men's 200m Breaststroke Final ||| Women's 200m Butterfly Final ||| Men's 100m Freestyle Final ||| Women's 4x200m Freestyle Relay Final

August 11th: Women's 200m Breaststroke Final ||| Men's 200m Backstroke Final ||| Men's 200m Individual Medley Final ||| Women's 100m Freestyle Final

August 12th: Women's 200m Backstroke Final ||| Men's 100m Butterfly Final ||| Women's 800m Freestyle Final ||| Men's 50m Freestyle Final

August 13th: Women's 50m Freestyle Final ||| Men's 1500m Freestyle Final ||| Women's 4x100m Medley Relay Final ||| Men's 4x100m Medley Relay Final

OLYMPIC AQUATICS STADIUM

9UNnlhA4.jpg
a5fmQTdf.jpg

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
In the Women's 100M Butterfly, 16-year old Canadian Penny Oleksiak finishes 3rd in opening heats and will move on to the semi-finals and has a chance for a medal. And yes, she is the sister of Dallas Stars D Jamie Oleksiak.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I can't swim, I can only dog paddle, but it always amazes me how these guys perfect their turns.

If I tried doing one, I'd probably misjudge the distance from the wall and smash my forehead on it...

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Miguel Duran of Spain false started in the 400m freestyle and was given a DQ according to the rules. He was clearly devistated when this happened when he knew that he screwed up.

However, the judge in charge decided the ignore the rules and let him get back into the heat and swim.

Class Act.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Miguel Duran of Spain false started in the 400m freestyle and was given a DQ according to the rules. He was clearly devistated when this happened when he knew that he screwed up.

However, the judge in charge decided the ignore the rules and let him get back into the heat and swim.

Class Act.

Yeah, the commentators were saying something about the times being delayed and it being the referee's fault, but I really doubt it. I feel if it was a top athlete with a chance of qualifiying he wouldn't have been allowed back in.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Both the American and Canadian women's 4x100 Freestyle relay teams looking good for medals tonight. They had the 2nd and 3rd fastest times in the heats behind the Australians, a couple seconds faster than the 4th place team.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
My favorite swimming event is the Men's 4x100 Medley. Its just so funny that they even allow that event since every time the Americans just clown everybody worse than the 1992 dream team did. I wouldn't be shocked to find that if the Americans had to do 5 legs that they'd still find a way to win.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Japan breaks the 6 games streak for US Men in the 400 IM - but wow did the the USA guy kept it close.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Japan breaks the 6 games streak for US Men in the 400 IM - but wow did the the USA guy kept it close.

Hagino trolled him so bad on the 2nd to last 50m. I think he left something back so he could blow him away on the final 50

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Hagino trolled him so bad on the 2nd to last 50m. I think he left something back so he could blow him away on the final 50

oh he totally did. - Rowdy Gaines even said that, Hagino was tightening up - and then POOF. Japan time. lol

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Man - I wish Canada could swim. [better].

As a dual American-Canadian citizen, so do I. Canada barely funds any of their summer sports though, even the disciplines in which they traditionally do well. Just look at what's happened to the rowing program.

I do wish that they would invest more funding into swimming, athletics and gymnastics though.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nice swim. That last 25 meters got her into the Final tomorrow. Likely won't medal but she could have a slim outside shot at the Bronze if she has the race of her life, maybe. Big maybe, but maybe.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As a dual American-Canadian citizen, so do I. Canada barely funds any of their summer sports though, even the disciplines in which they traditionally do well. Just look at what's happened to the rowing program.

I do wish that they would invest more funding into swimming, athletics and gymnastics though.

i was livid when I heard what they did to the rowing programme. Honestly - and it drives me nuts because basically, a lot of people will just easily go "well durr, we're a winter sporting country." and then in that, basically if Canada wins Double Gold (2 Hockey, 2 Curling) people are happy - and you're already starting to see it in sports like Speed Skating (both long + short track).

oohh Sarah Sojestrom kicking all the butt.
And we've got a Canadian in the final! :pcheer:

(but back to what we were talking about - Canada should feel a tonne of shame. We should be producing more swimmers than we do. same with Gymnasts, and how we went from where we were in Athletics.. oi. it drives me nuts).

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
i was livid when I heard what they did to the rowing programme. Honestly - and it drives me nuts because basically, a lot of people will just easily go "well durr, we're a winter sporting country." and then in that, basically if Canada wins Double Gold (2 Hockey, 2 Curling) people are happy - and you're already starting to see it in sports like Speed Skating (both long + short track).

oohh Sarah Sojestrom kicking all the butt.
And we've got a Canadian in the final! :pcheer:

(but back to what we were talking about - Canada should feel a tonne of shame. We should be producing more swimmers than we do. same with Gymnasts, and how we went from where we were in Athletics.. oi. it drives me nuts).

Yep, completely agree. When I heard that the Men's 8 boat was broken up, I was in disbelief. Re: Speed Skating, those are disciplines in which far too many countries are making leaps on a yearly basis while Canada is standing still and getting left behind. Same thing with the indoor track cycling in the Summer Games.

On the Athletics side though, a lot of promise. Brianne Theisen-Eaton could win Gold in Heptathlon, Damian Warner could get Silver in the Decathlon and Shawn Barber could get Gold in Pole Vault which is amazing to me. I hope Canada has some surprises these games, can get 20+ medals and 3 or 4 gold so they aim higher and make more of an investment for Tokyo 2020.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yep, completely agree. When I heard that the Men's 8 boat was broken up, I was in disbelief. Re: Speed Skating, those are disciplines in which far too many countries are making leaps on a yearly basis while Canada is standing still and getting left behind. Same thing with the indoor track cycling in the Summer Games.

On the Athletics side though, a lot of promise. Brianne Theisen-Eaton could win Gold in Heptathlon, Damian Warner could get Silver in the Decathlon and Shawn Barber could get Gold in Pole Vault which is amazing to me. I hope Canada has some surprises these games, can get 20+ medals and 3 or 4 gold so they aim higher and make more of an investment for Tokyo 2020.

Agreed. I honestly think though what would help the summer athletes - is Canada winning an Olympic games. but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Come on HORTON! :pcheer:
yay! and he beat Sun Yang! even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad