2016 Rio Olympics | RUGBY SEVENS | August 6th thru August 11th

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't know about hulking forwards. A lot of them now have great ball skills and acceleration and speed. They have to be.

Was looking forward to Cordero being around but he's out replaced by Imhoff. Should be an interesting and tight sevens tournament in the men.

Super Rugby is loaded with hulking forwards. They're just also talented, e.g. Retallick.

The tight five are still full of huge dudes. Many of the loose forwards are huge as well, they're just much more mobile, thus why they play in the loose forwards.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Unless you're talking specifically about sevens, Japan have been progressing for a while now in full 15s union. It was maybe 15 years ago that I remember Wales put up nearly 100 points against them, then in the 2011 world cup they put up a great fight against France then had a fantastic tournament in 2015

They have improved greatly (when you consider the thrashings handed out at World Cups and the lightweight nature of the pack and defence) but in terms of executing play and game intelligence and forwards play it's been the last two to three years only. They still lack a proper junior development plan and they supplement their squad with PI's via naturalization or Kiwi's that play in the local league.

That needs to be addressed along with several other countries. The franchise has done relatively well but still has a substantial overseas contingent. That several clubs there and the Japanese Federation kept clashing doesn't bode well for the future.

The juniors were badly beaten in 2015 and again this year being relegated to the Trophy so that is not positive. Whereas teams like Georgia showed some very creditable performances even coming close to upsetting Wales , beating Italy and narrowly losing to France.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Good game between Fiji and Argentina

Referee made a huge **** up in not awarding a yellow when the receiver was taken out in the air. Joubert nearly cost Argentina dear against the US. The man needs to be kept away from top class rugby ASAP after his shocker at the last RWC.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Good win. Or Brazil is just terrible.

Well Brazil looked a LOT better than they did at the Vancouver Sevens tournament in March. So just imagine how bad they were then.

Honestly surprised the US didn't make it to the QFs. Did not expect them to lose to Argentina.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I am a fan of this since I started watching yesterday.

Games are way too quick though. I want MORE!

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I am a fan of this since I started watching yesterday.

Games are way too quick though. I want MORE!

Not that it will do you any good right now, but for future reference, NBC usually airs the Las Vegas Sevens in February, as well as the College Sevens National Championship in June.

Also, you can watch every match of the Sevens World Series here: http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/?lang=en

Unfortunately the series doesn't get going again until December, but I'm sure you can find a lot previous matches there and on youtube.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Not that it will do you any good right now, but for future reference, NBC usually airs the Las Vegas Sevens in February, as well as the College Sevens National Championship in June.

Also, you can watch every match of the Sevens World Series here: http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/?lang=en

Unfortunately the series doesn't get going again until December, but I'm sure you can find a lot previous matches there and on youtube.

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad