2016 Rio Olympics | HANDBALL | August 6th thru 21st |

polishjetsfan

Jul 4, 2013
Krakow
I'm pretty sure this has been the best 30 minutes of offensive handball by Poland I've ever seen. Let's hope they keep it up

Elvis P

NYC: losing in the playoffs since 2011
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm still enjoying the kid in here who thought that the real handball (not this) was "a prison game". :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm still enjoying the kid in here who thought that the real handball (not this) was "a prison game". :laugh:

I think most of us grew up playing that "other" kind of handball, against a brick wall, all through grade school.

I know I did, and I was damn good at it, too. :laugh:

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
What's a typical save % for a goalie in handball? And why would cutting the angle more increase the goals? Being closer to the shooter would certainly make it harder for him to score...sure if they pass it's almost a sure goal, but it's not a high percentage pass when a player is already set up for a shot...

Perhaps it's been tried and was a failing tactic.

Save % is typically in the 25-50 % range.

Being too close to the shooter reduces reaction time to basically zero, and if you're more than 2-3 meters (or yards) from the goal skilled players will lob the ball in. For penalty shots there is a short line the goalie is not allowed to cross. I think it's 3 meters from the goal and 4 meters from the shooter.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Save % is typically in the 25-50 % range.

Being too close to the shooter reduces reaction time to basically zero, and if you're more than 2-3 meters (or yards) from the goal skilled players will lob the ball in. For penalty shots there is a short line the goalie is not allowed to cross. I think it's 3 meters from the goal and 4 meters from the shooter.

Everyone would lob him, I found it easiest to score on overly aggressive goalies, I'd lob the living daylight out of them, either from the wing, counter or from the line.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why isn't Wolf playing? Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of chances to watch. After the EC, I thought it was a given. Not that Heinevetter is bad.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
This Denmark-Poland match is amazing. Great goaltending, close back-and-forth match all the way, and a dramatic last second snipe to take it to overtime.

Great advertisement for the sport.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This Denmark-Poland match is amazing. Great goaltending, close back-and-forth match all the way, and a dramatic last second snipe to take it to overtime.

Great advertisement for the sport.

Aaand Denmark clinch it!:handclap:

Wow, Polish goalie was amazing though, and almost stole the game.. Danish Goalie was good aswell though, and about time aswell - has been sub par all tourney.

Mikkel Hansen also finally showed up.

Was afraid this would be a repeat of the 2007 WC semis between Denmark and Poland.

France in the Final.... not a good feeling about that though... that team is scaaary, and have taken Denmark the last 3 times I think..

And in Denmarks last 2 finals, well lets not talk about them...( 2014EC at home against France and 2013WC Against Spain )

Last edited:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Superb from Russia. :handclap: Vyakhireva absolutely outstanding and for such a young player too. Big thanks to Trefilov as well. Pity Alekno and Marichev couldn't learn something from him especially Marichev (complete idiot).

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Entertaining match in the women's handball final. Glad IOC didn't ban all the Russian athletes... that was fan to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad