2016 Rio Olympics | BASKETBALL | August 6th thru August 21st | USA/NBC/SN |

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Dream Team are still heavily favored but they do look somewhat mortal.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
These Olympics have had some fantastic basketball, this is a great game right now!

Switching between this and Nadal/Del Potro...

darko

Feb 16, 2009
IMO Olympics and World Championships rarely fail to deliver great basketball.

Mad Brills*

If spain had marc gasol I'd think they might not get a gold, but other teams are too weak

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Time for another beat-down by the US women.

If it wasn't a package deal, I'd cut women's basketball. Nothing against the sport, but it is consistently non-competitive. When's the last time someone even came close to beating the Americans? 1992? Other countries should have to prove they're putting resources into the sport. Even on the men's side, I think everyone else is getting worse.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
If it wasn't a package deal, I'd cut women's basketball. Nothing against the sport, but it is consistently non-competitive. When's the last time someone even came close to beating the Americans? 1992? Other countries should have to prove they're putting resources into the sport. Even on the men's side, I think everyone else is getting worse.

To be fair, this women's team is def one of the more dominant ones put together. I mean the men's team has to go to reserves while the women's team leaves behind some solid players cause everyone wants to go.

And it's just like in women's hockey with the US and Canada. Even though other countries are putting resources into the sport (believe this is Serbia's first Q), the dominant team(s) are so far ahead, it's tough to keep up. Realistically it's not about winning gold, but learning and exposing the sport for the future. Eventually a Schooling beats a Phelps and things change.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
At the half US women are leading Japan 56-46. The US went on an 8-0 run to finish that off, but Japan had def been pushing.

edit: US is pushing away now. US's D started to rev up a bit more

The ending to that Turkey~Spain game was really exciting for the Spanish and a heart breaker for Turkey.

Serbia beat the Aussies who never looked as good as they have in the past. Like I said, I think this is Serbia's first qualification in the Os (don't quote me) and they've really done well.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
If it wasn't a package deal, I'd cut women's basketball. Nothing against the sport, but it is consistently non-competitive. ...

But it was okay for the men to win 7 golds in a row? But it was okay for Les Habs to win 5 Cups in a row in the late 50s? Should we cut women's college bball, because UConn has won 4 titles in a row? I thought we moved past this type of 1960s thinking when we passed Title IX in 1972. Coach K has 2 of the top defensive players in the NBA. One doesn't start and the other one is not top ten in minutes. The team plays bad D. Why is he doing this?

Last edited:

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Spain has def turned things around so far, but what an insane schedule this group has to the gold.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hopefully we pull one out against Serbia, it will be a tough game for sure, Bojan, Darijo, Simon, and co have to come up big.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Has international basketball improved this much since '92; or has American basketball become more predictable and sloppy? I'm watching this game and they were saying that Argentina is small, so shouldn't we be taking them to the hoop rather than throwing up three pointers??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad