Denver
burgundy-review.com

bgy9mp.jpg

2016 PROSPECT RANKING
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

1|1|-| Mikko Rantanen|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|#10 overall 2015|108 votes, 95.37%|

2|2|-| Chris Bigras|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#32 overall 2013|116 votes, 48.28%|

3|N/A|N/A| Tyson Jost|C|Penticton (BCHL)|#10 overall 2016|90 votes, 96.67%|

4|6|+2| JT Compher|C|Univ. of Michigan (Big10)|#35 overall 2013|91 votes, 64.84%|

5|5|-| Nicolas Meloche|D|Gatineau (QMJHL)|#40 overall 2015|92 votes, 71.74%|

6|10|+4| AJ Greer|LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#39 overall 2015|97 votes, 82.47%|

7|15|+8| JC Beaudin|C|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#71 overall 2015|93 votes, 31.18%|

8|N/A|N/A| Cam Morrison|C|Youngstown (USHL)|#40 overall 2016|84 votes, 47.62%|

9|13|+4| Spencer Martin|G|San Antonio (AHL)|#63 overall 2013|79 votes, 81.01%|

[/table]

Added Duncan Siemens and Josh Anderson

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm going to take a leap of faith and go Boikov (over Nantel and Mironov) here. I like his game, I think he'll be a reliable bottom pair guy eventually, and that'll be more valuable to the team than Nantel as a 3/4 line tweener. And at this point I'm thinking it's more likely that Boikov develops into what Mironov is now than it is that Mironov ever comes stateside. Probably won't be a popular choice though.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I went with nantel.

Has us avs fans lost faith in geersten?

I like boikov next mcmetal, this round I'm going a different t direction.

Butcher and baron

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Cool, I did not have to vote for Martin for as many rounds as I feared.

Now on to my next lost cause....Mironov.

Add Butcher and Bourke.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
This was a really difficult one for me i feel like theres a case to be made for all of them.

Siemens and Grimaldi are the closest to contributing, but dont have high ceilings.

Boikov and Nantel are both coming of great junior careers and are about to go pro.

Last year Geerstsen was basically where Boikov and Nantel are this year except was maybe even more highly thought of, but did have as high of an impact in his first pro year as I'd hoped. Although with much of the log jam cleared I'm hoping he will be in a better position to succeed.

Then the two from this years draft. Despite their relative draft positions, Clurman has impressed and Anderson less so. But I feel like this is harsh on Anderson with his injuries and with no proper time to judge him.

Mironov is probably the best overall player based on reports but what are the chances he ever plays a game for the Avs?

In the end I went with Nantel, but its super close between him and Geertsen, with Anderson probably next.

Add Butcher and Bourke

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pretty much alone as I expected but I'm going with Boikov. Skates like the wind, solid defensively, has an edge to his game and adapted well in the AHL at the end of the season which usuaully doesn't happen for guys at the end of their junior season. Also he appeared to have been a large leader in Drummondville which is awesome to see as a Russian in the middle of an almost all French-Canadian dressing room.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For me Nantel breaks the tie with the glut of bottom pairing defensemen, which is what the rest of them are except for Clurman but he's too young to really know what his ceiling is. I still have not decided how to sort the rest, I am optimistic on Boikov and I'm really not down on Geertsen, with Mironov I'd overlook the risk more if the reward was higher, Siemens has the experience but does he have any chance, and Anderson we just don't know much about his game and I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe I have them in that order. We'll see. I'm still not sure where Clurman fits in, I don't think it has to be after that group either. Tough decisions.

Add Barron and Henley

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, Henley might be a decent add at this point. I'm not sure any of the other forwards can become NHLers at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I went with Grimaldi here. I don't think he will be a NHL player, but if he does, he has 2nd line upside. IMO that is a higher upside than anybody left and I don't think the risk is any greater. Mironov is close, but I question him coming over more than I question Grimaldi making the NHL.

I want to see more out of Boikov with the puck. Defensively and skating wise I think he will be fine in the long-run for a bottom pairing role... I just question his puck skills at high levels. I could be convinced this year.

Lindholm should be added.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Kind of surprised to see Boikov getting more votes than Geertsen, considering the age gap between the two isn't even that large. I think both are long shots but I'd trust Geertsen more in the long run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kind of surprised to see Boikov getting more votes than Geertsen, considering the age gap between the two isn't even that large. I think both are long shots but I'd trust Geertsen more in the long run.

People are down on Geertsen because he played in the ECHL last year for a little while. It's silly but it is what it is. They'll be down on Boikov this time next year for the same reasons, I imagine.

I think they're very similar prospects. Possible third pairing guys who are both quite a bit of polish away from becoming real options for those spots. I wouldn't be surprised if either one made it there, and if (somehow) both did, I'm not sure which I'd expect to be better. Boikov's the better skater, and he likes to hit; but he's not as mean & brutal as Geertsen. Both have shown some signs of being able to move the puck and chip in a little; though it's neither one's best attribute.

I rate both over Siemens/Anderson.

Mironov & Clurman are the big wildcards in this next set of dmen; if Mironov comes over he's the safest bet to be a good NHLer, while Clurman seems like the one with the highest ceiling if his long development track goes well. Though both have huge uncertainty about them; Mironov's desire to come over, and whether Clurman will be able to make all of the strides he needs to to arrive at his potential.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did Gaertsen fall off a cliff chasing a Pokemon or something? I was expecting him to close to the show.

He was put in a bad situation all around. He was coming off a season where he broke out offensively, and thought he was something he wasn't. The coaching staff sucked and didn't know how to rein him in. He wasn't a top priority for development. Etc. IMO last year was a mulligan for him and somewhat expected. This year is important for him, but he just need progress not leaps and bounds.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Mironov (what he has proven in the world's 2nd best league) and Grimaldi (ceiling) are a step above the rest.

I've been one of Nantel's biggest supporters in the past, but man, how is he going to jump Geertsen, who we voted 7th last year and 10 spots ahead on Nantel when neither one made any significant jump in development? Plus, he hasn't proven anything at the pro level and is in no way a sure thing, but it's more likely for him to make the Avs than Mironov, who's only question is "will he come over"? What type of odds are you guys putting on Mironov coming over? Grimaldi clearly has the superior ceiling, and again, Nantel, as much as it pains me to say it, if I take my homer glasses off, he is probably a long shot to make the nhl as well.

Add Henley and Butcher

Personally, I like Boikov over Geertsen because of his skating and defensive game. Those are very important attributes IMO. Though I do have Geertsen right behind him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Prospects going into their first year pro are at their zenith of potential and benefit of the doubt. First year pro is tough on guys unless they make an obvious step forward. Nantel and Boikov are going to get hit with it this time next year unless they have a fantastic year. Geertsen going to the ECHL, even if it was for the best, really hurts the optimism people had for him. Mironov is probably 50/50 at best. Like I said, at this point he's certainly the most polished and proven but he's still a bottom pairing defenseman. If he had a higher ceiling then the risk/reward would push him higher or if the risk was lower. AHLers are tough to rank higher because I don't see much future for a guy like Grimaldi here even if he gets a callup. Elson and Petryk are better long term options if you want to go that route.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Geertsen not taking an obvious step forward (it's not like Nantel did either though) and playing in the ECHL as a rookie doesn't tell me much of anything. I guess if he was some big time prospect then that would be bad, but that's not a big deal for your average prospect that it going to take years to develop. He is still the same guy with the same traits as before. He didn't suddenly lose his shot, he didn't lose his size, etc. Situations are influenced by many things other than the actual prospect, like who is ahead of them for example. Did he actually regress as a prospect somehow? How did Nantel improve? How do their ceilings, floors, odds compare? What are their strengths and weaknesses?

50/50 odds is better odds than these other guys. And why is he a bottom pair? There are plenty of middle pair Dmen who don't put up points. Hell, even some #2s. Same goes for Boikov, Geertsen, etc.

Why is Grimaldi just an AHL player/Call up? You have to admit he has a boom potential. He isn't some low talent player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
For Geertsen and Nantel I don't really disagree. It's true one didn't really get better or worse. I'm just explaining why there's a difference in perception. I didn't have Geertsen that high last year nor Nantel that low. So it's close for me. Nantel might have a slight bit better shot of being an energy forward but if Geertsen makes it will be more valuable.

Boikov and Geertsen are in that boat of Mironov as bottom pairing guys. It's just a higher bar for me, I only see Meloche as having top 4 upside in our system and Clurman is too soon to tell.

I just don't see a small forward having a real chance while Roy is here. Grimaldi was brought in because he was a hero in SA in the past. Sure he has the possibility to prove me wrong but I remain skeptical. I don't think he has top 6 talent, he would be in that energy role too at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad