Prospect Info: 2016 Penticton Youngstars Tournament

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure how many forwards actually end up going beside the ones recently drafted. Generally speaking a lot of forwards are try-outs (like close to half every game) so its possible our D could shut them down (since odds are they'll be on the same line). Our D and both goalies (well actually have 3 but the 2 of interest) are going to be our strength.

Would be interested to see how Stecher and Juolevi do since honestly our scoring will likely come from our D. Although tournaments like this (with realistically most teams will not have great defensive systems yet), Valk could excel and provide a decent amount of scoring. Also not sure if other teams could handle LaBate's size. Carcone since he probably will be gift wrapped a top 6 role (again due to the lack of options). I'm guessing Cole Cassels might also be in the top 6 while Dmitry Zhukenov will be 3rd or 4th line C. No idea how the rest of the roter will fill out.

As far as "try-outs" or basically FAs goes, Marc-Olivier Roy might be interesting tho more for Utica than us. Former 2nd round pick of the Oilers who was a disappointment.

Ah yes, the infamous Oiler second-round curse...Marco Roy, Mitch Moroz, David Musil Tyler Pitlick, Martin Marincin, Curtis Hamilton and Anton Lander....some of those guys were drafted just outside the first round....doesn't look good for Tyler Benson, does it? Come to think of it, I may be forced to temper my criticism of Jimbo for trading second-rounders.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Canucks invite a couple of prospects.

Olivier Galipeau - Defense 6' 203lbs

Olivier Galipeau captained the Foreurs this past season and also led their defencemen in scoring, putting up 9 goals and 37 points in 56 regular season game. More impressively, he led the entire team in scoring in the playoffs, scoring one goal and nine points in just six games.

Teams tend to like a player that produces in the playoffs, but Galipeau had scouts attention well before that. Galipeau was ranked as high as 59th by Central Scouting among North American skaters heading into the 2015 draft, but fell to 142nd in the final rankings when his offence didn’t materialize.

He improved his offence this season, but he’s still known more for his physical defensive game. He makes strong outlet passes, with Future Considerations praising his passing and his ability to make simple, smart decisions and play a calm, smooth game, something that not all physical defenders can manage. While his skating was previously an issue, Future Considerations describes him as a “good skater with decent footspeed.”

Future Considerations ranked him 151st overall for this year’s draft despite his age. Galipeau’s strengths are mostly in his own end: “Galipeau plays a solid shutdown game in his own end, using his strength and stick to force players wide and eliminate players along the boards. He makes smart reads and isn't overly aggressive with his positioning.”

They suggest Galipeau has potential as a middle-pairing defenceman. If the Canucks agree, they might add him to a system that could use another young right-shooting defenceman.

Tyler Coulter - LW 6' 195lbs

Tyler Coulter was a solid contributor to his hometown Brandon Wheat Kings, helping them to the WHL Championship with 22 goals and 59 points in 69 games in the regular season and 6 more goals and 14 points in 18 playoff games. While he had just one point, a goal, in the Memorial Cup, he wasn’t alone in that regard, with no Wheat King scoring more than two points.

An amateur scouting report from 2014 describes him as “competitive and tough,” with his coach noting his intelligence and strength on the cycle, while Dub From Above notes his versatility, as he can play almost anywhere in the lineup.

Coulter is likely to return to Brandon for his over-age season and could find himself on the top line alongside the likely first overall pick in the 2017 draft, Nolan Patrick. If that happens, Coulter will be in a prime position to pick up points and could have multiple suitors next off-season. If the Canucks like what they see at development camp, now would be the time to sign him before in increases his profile.

Coulter has a BC connection, playing at the Pursuit of Excellence hockey academy in Kelowna.

Alexis D'Aoust - RW 6' 200lbs

Alexis D’Aoust was one of the top scorers in the QMJHL this past season, racking up 44 goals and 54 assists for 98 points in 68 games. That was good enough for fourth in the league in points and he added 26 points in 21 playoff games, good enough for fourth in the playoffs as well.

Unlike Carcone, D’Aoust had a bit more help on a strong Cataractes team that finished first in the East Division. D’Aoust finished first in scoring, but had help from the likes of Anthony Beauvillier, Dmytro Timashov, Dennis Yan, and Samuel Girard, among others, all top prospects for their respective teams.

That said, D’Aoust out-scored them all in the regular season and has multiple teams interested in signing him. He has plenty of speed and decent size, typically things that hold back scorers in junior from making an impact in the NHL.

Rylan Parenteau - Goalie 6' 189lbs

Rylan Parenteau is already a national champion, winning the National Aboriginal Hockey Championships in 2014, where he was named the Top Goaltender. Parenteau has Métis heritage and has competed in the Senators Cup, an aboriginal hockey tournament that draws former NHLers and current professional players in Europe, for the past two years.

This past season, Parenteau was one of the best goaltenders in the WHL, putting up a .913 save percentage, good for 10th in the league, and a 2.82 goals against average.

Parenteau is known for his work ethic, named not just the Raiders’ Hardest Working Player but also winning the WHL’s Hardest Working Player of the Year Award after a fan poll.

After his strong season, Parenteau was named to the WHL’s Eastern Conference Second All-Star Team. It’s a weirdly specific honour: not the CHL as a whole, but the WHL. And not the WHL as a whole, but the Eastern Conference. So he was the second best goaltender in half of one-third of the CHL. Still, pretty good.

A scouting report from Dub From Above for the 2015 draft had Parenteau ranked 75th among WHL players, describing him as “athletic” and noting he “plays with very good balance and explosiveness in the crease.” His quickness and flexibility are his best assets and he also has a good glove hand.

The main concern for Parenteau is size. While he’s not as small as Kubic, he can sometimes make himself smaller in net than he should. Getting a chance to work with Dan Cloutier at camp, who’s about the same size and knows a thing or two about battling through screens, can only help.

Marc-Olivier Roy - Center 6'1" 182lbs

He won’t be the tallest guy on the ice, but he may likely be one of the speediest and consistent players at any given time. Marc-Olivier Roy’s bread and butter comes from his nonstop effort every shift and his powerful skating. His body doesn’t overpower anyone, but his balance is key when laying body checks on opponents.

Roy’s will to win is prevalent every time his skate blades hit the ice. He’s a fearless forechecker/backchecker and boasts a well-rounded game. Roy has played for his hometown team, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada for the past two seasons. His numbers have gone up from 37 points last year to 67 points this year. With the increase in points, Roy has become as effective on the offensive side of the puck as he has been defensively.

His shot speed is average, but his accuracy is very solid. He is diligent in the traffic areas and around the net. Roy plays a balanced game that goes between simple and fancy. He does get caught out of position too much for my liking and doesn’t commit at the correct times, but with a little help and proper coaching, it is a relatively easy solution to a common problem.

Kyle Maksimovich - LW 5'9" 174lbs

The first thing you will notice about Maksimovich is that he’s undersized at just 5-foot-9. That hasn’t stopped him from playing at a high level. He uses his smaller frame to his advantage, by skating around big men and finding openings in the defense. Not only can he get open, he can get his teammates open with his passing. Check out the pass he makes to Nick Betz in the video linked below.

Maksimovich, much like DeBrincat, plays fearless. He isn’t afraid to play the body and will challenge bigger players in doing so. So when the team asks him to play a bottom-six role, sometimes while double shifting, he can do so with relative ease. He also plays on the Otters top power play unit. However, he doesn’t kill penalties.

Maksimovich is a streaky player. He can get you goals in bunches, or can go long stretches without scoring. It really depends on what the team is asking him to do. He has an above average shot when on target, but can get wild on occasion. His defensive game has struggled at times, mainly because of his undersized frame. This has improved during the season, but is still a work in progress.

Danny Moynihan - C/LW 6'1" 190lbs

Originally intent on playing college hockey, Moynihan and younger brother Connor Moynihan joined the defending Memorial Cup champion Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL. The only player to skate in all 68 games for Halifax, he scored 9 goals with 17 assists and was +8 with 66 penalty minutes. The Mooseheads finished first in the Maritimes Division and reached the playoff semifinals; falling to Val-d'or In a seven game series. Moynihan scored 3 goals with 4 assists and was +6 with 6 penalty minutes in 16 playoff games. He was ranked 77th amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2014 NHL Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the story on Alexis D'Aoust?....high-scoring winger in the QMJHL with good size....apparently really impressed at the recent Prospects Development camp....some were surprised he wasn't signed instead of Carcone....obviously though, there's a reason why he was never drafted...What the the holes in his game?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
What's the story on Alexis D'Aoust?....high-scoring winger in the QMJHL with good size....apparently really impressed at the recent Prospects Development camp....some were surprised he wasn't signed instead of Carcone....obviously though, there's a reason why he was never drafted...What the the holes in his game?

My thoughts exactly. From all accounts he was the flying out there and really stood out. Maybe he'll force himself into a contract.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Like I said Neil, Abols, Coulter, Moynihan, Roy, and D'aoust are all eligible to play pro. They could go to Utica's camp if they impress enough.

From there most can go back to Jrs. Roy has already turned pro with Edmonton, but was cut loose after 1 season.

D'Aoust is the most intriguing.

We should all know Alaska needs players as well. Cederholm and Blomstrand are back in Europe and the Ace management is likely to show Stewart the door if he isn't way better than last season.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Like I said Neil, Abols, Coulter, Moynihan, Roy, and D'aoust are all eligible to play pro. They could go to Utica's camp if they impress enough.

From there most can go back to Jrs. Roy has already turned pro with Edmonton, but was cut loose after 1 season.

D'Aoust is the most intriguing.

We should all know Alaska needs players as well. Cederholm and Blomstrand are back in Europe and the Ace management is likely to show Stewart the door if he isn't way better than last season.

I hope he shows well enough to earn a contract.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I hope he shows well enough to earn a contract.

I don't know him well enough to make that kind of statement, but I hope he shows well enough in Penticton to earn a trip to Utica's camp so I can get a first hand look see. The Comets are always goal starved and it seems this kid knows where it is and what it's for and that's good enough to get a serious look in my book. If he can't do it at this level, so be it. Nothing lost for taking a look and if the Canucks don't you know someone else will. Those numbers have to be enough to cause a "come show us" look from a lot of franchises.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No real surprises there...pretty much carry-overs from the Prospect Development Camp.

I'm really interested to see how Galipeau looks here. He's got some potential imo, but it'll be nice to see him outside the context of that Val d'Or team. If anything, our team is probably going to be very defence heavy with our own prospects though, which could make it trickier to really stand out.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No real surprises there...pretty much carry-overs from the Prospect Development Camp.

I'm really interested to see how Galipeau looks here. He's got some potential imo, but it'll be nice to see him outside the context of that Val d'Or team. If anything, our team is probably going to be very defence heavy with our own prospects though, which could make it trickier to really stand out.

How do you measure D'Aoust?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How do you measure D'Aoust?

I don't really think too much of D'Aoust tbh. Don't really see him as a very serious Pro prospect. To me, he looks like kinda the classic older player along for the ride, who picks up points in the Q type.

In a tournament like this, with the loose style of game and the level the games are generally played at...he could provide a little bit of scoring punch. He's a bit on the older side which tends to be advantageous, and obviously knows how to score some goals and pick up points while playing with some really dynamic players at the Jr level (closer to what this tournament tends to be played at). If they play him on the PP around the net front/slot he'll probably bang one or two in at some point. But i haven't seen a really projectable Pro skillset there. :dunno:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I don't really think too much of D'Aoust tbh. Don't really see him as a very serious Pro prospect. To me, he looks like kinda the classic older player along for the ride, who picks up points in the Q type.

In a tournament like this, with the loose style of game and the level the games are generally played at...he could provide a little bit of scoring punch. He's a bit on the older side which tends to be advantageous, and obviously knows how to score some goals and pick up points while playing with some really dynamic players at the Jr level (closer to what this tournament tends to be played at). If they play him on the PP around the net front/slot he'll probably bang one or two in at some point. But i haven't seen a really projectable Pro skillset there. :dunno:

He just turnred 20 in April. This is his first pro eligible season except for the NHL last season and we know sup[posedly only the best make it there at 19.

He's the same age as Neil, Abols, Coulter, and Moynihan. All are eligible for an overage season back in Jrs. if not signed by a team to turn pro. Roy is 21 and released by Edmonton after a year in the AHL.

D'Aoust at 5'11"/180 was the leading scorer on his team and 4th overall in the QMJHL. Michael Carcone at 5'9"/170, was tied for tops in points on his team and finished 8th overall in the QMJHL, yet he has already been signed to an ELC by Vancouver. So the smaller guy (neither is all that big) with less points in the same league was signed to an ELC, but the biiger guy with more points is merely invited and you don't seem enthralled. The Media says several teams are interested in him and Benning got him to attend their young stars camp. What's the big difference in these two guys from the same league that gets the lesser guy signed? Is it likely they both end up in Utica's camp?

Vancouver probably needs to put some players in Alaska since they have the ECHL working agreement with the Aces. They are down two who would have been eligible since Blomstrand and Cederholm went home and Stewart is not really all that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He just turnred 20 in April. This is his first pro eligible season except for the NHL last season and we know sup[posedly only the best make it there at 19.

He's the same age as Neil, Abols, Coulter, and Moynihan. All are eligible for an overage season back in Jrs. if not signed by a team to turn pro. Roy is 21 and released by Edmonton after a year in the AHL.

D'Aoust at 5'11"/180 was the leading scorer on his team and 4th overall in the QMJHL. Michael Carcone at 5'9"/170, was tied for tops in points on his team and finished 8th overall in the QMJHL, yet he has already been signed to an ELC by Vancouver. So the smaller guy (neither is all that big) with less points in the same league was signed to an ELC, but the biiger guy with more points is merely invited and you don't seem enthralled. The Media says several teams are interested in him and Benning got him to attend their young stars camp. What's the big difference in these two guys from the same league that gets the lesser guy signed? Is it likely they both end up in Utica's camp?

Vancouver probably needs to put some players in Alaska since they have the ECHL working agreement with the Aces. They are down two who would have been eligible since Blomstrand and Cederholm went home and Stewart is not really all that.

D'Aoust isn't a bad guy to invite to a thing like this at all. Never hurts to take a look at a guy with those kind of numbers in a different situation and see what's what. I'm all for that, and i don't doubt that there's some degree of "interest" in him from a few teams. At least, interest in taking a closer look at him. Those kind of point totals always draw a few looks, the QMJHL scoring statistics are hardly a secret. :laugh:

But you asked how i'd measure him up, and that's my take. I think there's a reason that a guy with that sort of statline isn't already drafted or signed to an NHL deal.

He's small, isn't the greatest skater, not exceptionally smart or crafty or feisty or with an elite laser of a shot...just doesn't have a very projectable set of tools or skillset imo.

Beyond just the eyeball scouting, i think even statistically, you really have to consider the team he played on. He's clearly not the major offensive catalyst there. Citing his bulk stats topping the team is one thing, but you have to look around at how deep that team is and consider the superior rate of a guy like Beauvillier. That team was loaded with productive players with more dynamic skillsets. He's also not some newcomer to the Q either...last year was what, his 4th season at that level? Twice as many years in the Q as Carcone who you referenced. And that draft+2 season for D'Aoust was his first time breaking ppg threshold.

I have "interest" in seeing how he does through this little tournament, but through the actual CHL season(s) my assessment is that he didn't look like a guy i'd have any "interest" in offering an NHL contract to. And that assessment weighs a lot heavier for me.

If he looks reasonably good through this little tourny (and he should at that level), maybe he is worth extending a Comets camp invite to - though i'm sure it's pretty well understood in coming to this little tournament, he'll be guaranteed at least a courtesy Utica camp invite regardless. If he looks reasonably good at Utica camp, maybe sign him to an AHL deal and ship him to Alaska as Utica depth in the dungeons of the depth chart. Maybe. Personally, i've got a pretty healthy list of guys i'd have preferred to see invites and/or AHL deals extended to - many of whom have been invited to other camps but may become available again. If there's a dire need to staff Alaska with depth for Utica. :dunno:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

It's strange, but both Hockey DB and the NHL Draft Site have D'Aoust listed at 6' 200 as does the Canucks Prospect Development roster....what happened, did he actually shrink over the summer?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's strange, but both Hockey DB and the NHL Draft Site have D'Aoust listed at 6' 200 as does the Canucks Prospect Development roster....what happened, did he actually shrink over the summer?

Doubtful he shrank. More likely, the listed size on players always comes with a wide and arbitrary margin of error.

D'Aoust isn't a big player. And he doesn't really play big. He may be 6'0"-200lbs in the same way that Hodgson was. But it doesn't really mean much. I'd wager he's more like 5'11"- 190ish, but who knows.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Doubtful he shrank. More likely, the listed size on players always comes with a wide and arbitrary margin of error.

D'Aoust isn't a big player. And he doesn't really play big. He may be 6'0"-200lbs in the same way that Hodgson was. But it doesn't really mean much. I'd wager he's more like 5'11"- 190ish, but who knows.

About the only numbers you can trust competely are the combine ones.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Checking the Flames roster...cue the inevitable and ongoing comparisons between Juloevi and Tkachuk......and the Flames drafted Rasmus Andersson with the second-round they got for Baertschi.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
D'Aoust isn't a bad guy to invite to a thing like this at all. Never hurts to take a look at a guy with those kind of numbers in a different situation and see what's what. I'm all for that, and i don't doubt that there's some degree of "interest" in him from a few teams. At least, interest in taking a closer look at him. Those kind of point totals always draw a few looks, the QMJHL scoring statistics are hardly a secret. :laugh:

But you asked how i'd measure him up, and that's my take. I think there's a reason that a guy with that sort of statline isn't already drafted or signed to an NHL deal.

He's small, isn't the greatest skater, not exceptionally smart or crafty or feisty or with an elite laser of a shot...just doesn't have a very projectable set of tools or skillset imo.

Beyond just the eyeball scouting, i think even statistically, you really have to consider the team he played on. He's clearly not the major offensive catalyst there. Citing his bulk stats topping the team is one thing, but you have to look around at how deep that team is and consider the superior rate of a guy like Beauvillier. That team was loaded with productive players with more dynamic skillsets. He's also not some newcomer to the Q either...last year was what, his 4th season at that level? Twice as many years in the Q as Carcone who you referenced. And that draft+2 season for D'Aoust was his first time breaking ppg threshold.

I have "interest" in seeing how he does through this little tournament, but through the actual CHL season(s) my assessment is that he didn't look like a guy i'd have any "interest" in offering an NHL contract to. And that assessment weighs a lot heavier for me.

If he looks reasonably good through this little tourny (and he should at that level), maybe he is worth extending a Comets camp invite to - though i'm sure it's pretty well understood in coming to this little tournament, he'll be guaranteed at least a courtesy Utica camp invite regardless. If he looks reasonably good at Utica camp, maybe sign him to an AHL deal and ship him to Alaska as Utica depth in the dungeons of the depth chart. Maybe. Personally, i've got a pretty healthy list of guys i'd have preferred to see invites and/or AHL deals extended to - many of whom have been invited to other camps but may become available again. If there's a dire need to staff Alaska with depth for Utica. :dunno:

Thank you. This gives me some background and particulars to watch for if he arrives in Utica's camp.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I remember Alex Burrows first training camp like it was yesterday......all the attention that year was on Kiril Koltsov, the Russian d-man the Canucks drafted in the second round, because of course they didn't have a first rounder in 2002....watching the scrimmages, Burrows was consistently one of the most impressive guys on the ice....but never drafted and pedestrian stats in the Q, he got written off and ended up playing in the ECHL with the Greenville Grrrowl (love that name), and available to any NHL team who wanted to take a flyer on him....not saying a guy like Alexis D'Auost might be another Burrows...but sometimes guys just fall through the cracks...you simply never know.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I remember Alex Burrows first training camp like it was yesterday......all the attention that year was on Kiril Koltsov, the Russian d-man the Canucks drafted in the second round, because of course they didn't have a first rounder in 2002....watching the scrimmages, Burrows was consistently one of the most impressive guys on the ice....but never drafted and pedestrian stats in the Q, he got written off and ended up playing in the ECHL with the Greenville Grrrowl (love that name), and available to any NHL team who wanted to take a flyer on him....not saying a guy like Alexis D'Auost might be another Burrows...but sometimes guys just fall through the cracks...you simply never know.
I remember Burrows' first camp, at 8-rinks, and being amazed that a guy that good could go undrafted.
He worked his way up from the ECHL, which is VERY rare, in itself.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Man, our defense is really stacked

Juolevi-Stetcher
Sautner-Subban
Brisebois-Olson
Candella, Galipeau, McEneny

That's a really solid, deep d lineup.

Then to have those guys backed up by Demko and Gartieg... we should be to avoid getting blown out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad