Prospect Info: 2016 Penticton Youngstars Tournament

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=885155

It looks like the Tournament is coming back to Penticton! Probably the most fun I had all season was at this tournament. Just a heads up to start booking a hotel and time off as this is becoming quite the hot ticket these days. Tournament runs from September 16-19.

Surprised to see that the Canucks aren't promoting this on their website, as I had to find this on the Jets website.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd imagine they'll start promoting it more aggressively after the draft, when they have some shiny new names to announce as attendees.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
I was at it last year, had a really good time as well. Unfortunately this year we won't have many "youngstars"

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was at it last year, had a really good time as well. Unfortunately this year we won't have many "youngstars"

We should finally get to see Demko there now that he's done with NCAA regulations and stuff. Plus whoever we get at 5th should obviously be there. Along with all the other usual suspects.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Who are we expecting here?

Demko
Subban
5th Overall selection
Stetcher

Those are probably the only real prospects I'm interested in. Would Virtanen still be eligible??

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
So we'll get to see the following probably ?

#2 Laine
#4 Dubois/Tkachuk
#5 Dubois/Tkachuk/potential wildcard
#6 Brown/Nylander/Juolevi etc.

along with any of the early seconds like maybe Benson if he falls.

Should be a great tournament with all these top 10's there.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
So we'll get to see the following probably ?

#2 Laine
#4 Dubois/Tkachuk
#5 Dubois/Tkachuk/potential wildcard
#6 Brown/Nylander/Juolevi etc.

along with any of the early seconds like maybe Benson if he falls.

Should be a great tournament with all these top 10's there.

Laine will not be in Penticton. He will be playing in the World Cup at that time.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Goaltending should be strong aspect of the team with Demko and Garteig

Defense probably decent if both Subban and Sautner are used. Subban will be likely be the best skater on the team and Sautner had a pretty good rookie season in Utica last year. Both have the wheels to dominate here. Add in Joulevi and Strecher and the top end should be good.

Also have players with experience from last tournament like Brisebois, Neill and Olsen. Candella likely gets some play as well.

Don't see Stewart playing much defense but he might play wing to offer some protection to others.

However, the Canucks are very weak up front. They have Cassels (coming off a wretched season) and maybe LaBate (still only 22) but little else from Utica. Others, with previous tournament experience, include Abols, Zhukenov,and Valk (pushing the age limit here). Beyond that they have 2016 draftees Stukel, Mackenzie and signed players LaPlante and Carcone. Not sure about Jasek status but he could be added as well.

Think it would be a real stretch to think players like Rendulic could on the team

Given this, the Canucks are going to have a number of invited players. Probably looking at players like Coulter and Burghardt to be brought in.

Considering the problems at forwards, this looks like a weak team.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask

Defense probably decent if both Subban and Sautner are used. Subban will be likely be the best skater on the team and Sautner had a pretty good rookie season in Utica last year. Both have the wheels to dominate here. Add in Joulevi and Strecher and the top end should be good.

Also have players with experience from last tournament like Brisebois, Neill and Olsen. Candella likely gets some play as well.

Don't see Stewart playing much defense but he might play wing to offer some protection to others.

However, the Canucks are very weak up front. They have Cassels (coming off a wretched season) and maybe LaBate (still only 22) but little else from Utica. Others, with previous tournament experience, include Abols, Zhukenov,and Valk (pushing the age limit here). Beyond that they have 2016 draftees Stukel, Mackenzie and signed players LaPlante and Carcone. Not sure about Jasek status but he could be added as well.

Think it would be a real stretch to think players like Rendulic could on the team

Given this, the Canucks are going to have a number of invited players. Probably looking at players like Coulter and Burghardt to be brought in.

Was hoping to see Reid gardiner return as a invite, was disappointed he's going to the pens camp instead, and with the nucks scouting Rylan paranteau they've seen him plenty

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

As we have been saying right along, the farm is very weak in forward prospects with nary a single top 6 guy remaining.

You have the 2 2nd yr D-men whose elevation to NHL D-men is still very questionable. They played well, but will have to elevate their play to the next level to fill the void left by the journeymen who covered for them last year. Subbie always looks good among his peers, but his play falls way off vs. older experienced fast good skating pros like himself. Sautner was sheltered by Fedun last season. He's going to have to shoulder more of the responsibility himself this season.

Then the 2 2nd yr forwards in LaBate and Cassels. At season's end LaBate had become a good fit on the PP standing in front of the net due to his courage and size. While I discourage fighting in the game, Joe was selected as the guy to tangle with by our opponents and he held his own in that respect. He's a hard working grinder who needs more skating improvement and speed to become effective beyond bottom 6 AHL. Cassels is a project unto himself. Last season chalked up tp growth, strength training, and injury recovery. He is miles from NHL quality. At the moment, much like LaBate, he is still working to become a sound bottom 6 AHL center.

Then it's the rookies we have yet to see in Stecher on D and Demko
in net.

Carcone and LaPlante are going to have to compete to make the Comets roster.

Valk, who will not be a Canuck barring a major over night miracle, had better be a major star in this tourney if he even has a chance to crack the Comets' roster as a spare part instead of being an ACE in the ECHL.

If Abols surprises he could try and a make a push for Utica. He is old enough.

The cupboard in Utica is really close to bare at the moment. Stecher a total unknown and Subban are the highets hopes right now.

In a couple years, if he lives up to his development curve, Demko could be the best prospect developed by Vancouver in some time, but time is that qualifier.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hopefully defense and goaltending will keep the Canucks competitive in this tournament....because they're going to have their hands full with the young forwards the Jets, Oilers and Flames will be icing...they're stacked, particularly the Jets.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hopefully defense and goaltending will keep the Canucks competitive in this tournament....because they're going to have their hands full with the young forwards the Jets, Oilers and Flames will be icing...they're stacked, particularly the Jets.

Are the Oilers and Flames still stacked with forward prospect depth this year past Puljujarvi and Tkachuk?
I'm drawing a blank right now. Help?

I know the Jets look real good still...

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Not sure how many forwards actually end up going beside the ones recently drafted. Generally speaking a lot of forwards are try-outs (like close to half every game) so its possible our D could shut them down (since odds are they'll be on the same line). Our D and both goalies (well actually have 3 but the 2 of interest) are going to be our strength.

Would be interested to see how Stecher and Juolevi do since honestly our scoring will likely come from our D. Although tournaments like this (with realistically most teams will not have great defensive systems yet), Valk could excel and provide a decent amount of scoring. Also not sure if other teams could handle LaBate's size. Carcone since he probably will be gift wrapped a top 6 role (again due to the lack of options). I'm guessing Cole Cassels might also be in the top 6 while Dmitry Zhukenov will be 3rd or 4th line C. No idea how the rest of the roter will fill out.

As far as "try-outs" or basically FAs goes, Marc-Olivier Roy might be interesting tho more for Utica than us. Former 2nd round pick of the Oilers who was a disappointment.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
They have Troy Stecher listed at 5'8"?!?!?

Everywhere I've seen his height listed it's been 5'10 or 5'11".

What's going on with this? Typo? Or is he that small? Cause they have Jordan Subban at 5'9" and that's right... No way Stecher is 5'8"

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
D'Aoust, Carcone, Stukel, and Valk are all players who can put the puck in the net at this level of competition. Even Cassels will look much better at this than he did in Utica last year.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

What's going on with this? Typo? Or is he that small? Cause they have Jordan Subban at 5'9" and that's right... No way Stecher is 5'8"

It's an error.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Are the Oilers and Flames still stacked with forward prospect depth this year past Puljujarvi and Tkachuk?
I'm drawing a blank right now. Help?

I know the Jets look real good still...

I don't think the Oilers are but the Flames could have some good pieces. Andersson, Kylington and Hickey are all defensive prospects I'd love to have in our pipeline. Recognizable names on forward are Poirier, Klimchuk, Jankowski (I think he's finally coming over but may be wrong) and possibly Shinkaruk :)() if he wants to but he has the option to decline. In goal we could see both Gillies and McDonald. Gillies is supposed to be good and I don't know anything about McDonald other than they drafted him a pick or two before we took Demko.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Obviously Subban, Sautner, Cassels, LaBate, Stecher, and Demko are going to be in Utica.

ELC players Carcone and LaPlante will get their shot with the Comets.

Carl Neil, a 2015 5th round pick of the Canucks, has yet to be offered an ELC, but was invited to the tourney. He was in Utica at the season's end and practiced with the Comets, but did not get into a game. Thus, this is probably make it or back to Jrs. for another season.

Abols is another Vancouver draft pick and he is eligible to play in Utica, but can go back to Jrs. Wonder if he gets a look in Utica.

Marc-Olivier Roy was let go by Edmonton after only one AHL season, so maybe he gets a look in Utica's camp and is at least a candidate for Alaska.

D'Aoust was the top point getter for his Jr. team last season and still went undrafted, but according to what I've been reading in the print media he has several NHL teams interested in taking a look. Benning got him to accept Vancouver's invite. If he plays like he has in Jrs, we might see him in Utica's camp as well. Vancouver is starved for scoring in both the NHL and the AHL. Again the Aces need players too. He has piqued my interest.

Coulter and Moynihan are also 20 yr-old invites.

Speaking of the Aces, Valk, McEneny, and Stewart are most likely on their way back to the ECHL, Alaska. Valk and McEneny do have slight hopes of hooking on with the Comets based on the numbers game when Utica's camp breaks and how many D-men Vancouver keeps and if Gaunce stays up along with Granlund and Virtanen. I believe Gaunce is the only "if" of these 3. Valk can be relied on in a pinch and could fill an extra forward role, but that likely means Alaska until they are desperate. McEneny would be a decent 7/8 in Utica and is capable of stepping in and holding his own in the bottom pairing. Right now there is room and that's with one of Biega/Pedan coming down. Mainstays Landry and Ehrhardt have not been re-signed as of the moment.

Garteig will be assigned to Alaska and serve as the Comets' call-up. Demko and Bachman will be Utica's goalies.

I have listed the guys eligible to play in the AHL. The rest are only Jr. eligible.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'd be inclined to think it is closer to 5'10, short players ussually like to leave their skates on while getting measured. We should get a better reading once we get to see him up against some of the other youngsters.

NDWSNTMRBQMYIZT.20160526143122.jpg

The guy in #9 to the left is #9 5'10 (Cagguila) and the #4 guy to the right is 6'1. Sitting makes it hard, some have shorter/longer legs.

CgqgQmFU8AA630B.jpg

That is him next to (I think) #24 Christian Wolanin, 6'1.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'd be inclined to think it is closer to 5'10, short players ussually like to leave their skates on while getting measured.

CgqgQmFU8AA630B.jpg

That is him next to (I think) #24 Christian Wolanin, 6'1.

From watching him play and that pic there is no way he was 5'11 in the spring.

5'9 seems way more accurate.

Well find out from camp pics of him standing beside players of known heights..

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
For what it's worth, I saw him without skates on at Shawnigan. He's not a big dude. 5'8 or 5'9 is about right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad