2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Im all for trading down. look at every draft and you will find studs in the 2nd,3rd,4th round. Remember the more chances we get to swing the higher the percentage that we hit

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Thank you very much. McLeod reminds me of a sleeper centre - the type that Detroit picks -up mid 1st round.

I agree with this. He reminds me of a Larkin or a McCann. There were concerns about offensive upside with both and so far both are exceeding expectations.

The mix of the previous lack of talent in the organization/prospect pool and the "Gauthier syndrome" has made us weary as a fan base about these players and the notion of drafting a player like this causes a lot of disgust.

With our current pipeline, we now have skill, I would love to draft a player like this. Maybe not flashy, but does everything right and gets results.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
So a franchise centre, franchise D and franchise winger in the top 3 is a weak draft class? When we specifically need at least two of those? I've viewed your posts the last few days and dios mio, you're incredibly pessimistic.

You're incredibly optimistic if you think the top 3 are guaranteed to be franchise players. All high picks are hyped like that, but a bunch end up being average top 6/top4 players. There's going to be a lot of Ryan Murrays and Michael Dal Colles.

Chychrun is having a lackluster season and falling in the rankings. By no means guaranteed to be a franchise player

Not sure which winger you're referring to as a franchise winger, but neither of the Finnish guys are particularly better than a guy like Rantanen. Tkachuk's point totals are hugely inflated from his linemates, and he's been cooling down from the start of the season. A franchise winger also isn't what the Leaf's need from this draft, even if any of those players are guaranteed to become one.

Matthews is obviously pretty awesome, but he also tends to get overrated. He was never considered to be better than Eichel until the shift focused to the 2016 draft and the media needed to hype it up.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I agree with this. He reminds me of a Larkin or a McCann. There were concerns about offensive upside with both and so far both are exceeding expectations.

The mix of the previous lack of talent in the organization/prospect pool and the "Gauthier syndrome" has made us weary as a fan base about these players and the notion of drafting a player like this causes a lot of disgust.

With our current pipeline, we now have skill, I would love to draft a player like this. Maybe not flashy, but does everything right and gets results.

I agree. I would love to have McLeod in the fold. If we're picking in the range we are now (6-8) it's him or Nylander for me.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
You're incredibly optimistic if you think the top 3 are guaranteed to be franchise players. All high picks are hyped like that, but a bunch end up being average top 6/top4 players. There's going to be a lot of Ryan Murrays and Michael Dal Colles.

Chychrun is having a lackluster season and falling in the rankings. By no means guaranteed to be a franchise player

Not sure which winger you're referring to as a franchise winger, but neither of the Finnish guys are particularly better than a guy like Rantanen. Tkachuk's point totals are hugely inflated from his linemates, and he's been cooling down from the start of the season. A franchise winger also isn't what the Leaf's need from this draft, even if any of those players are guaranteed to become one.

Matthews is obviously pretty awesome, but he also tends to get overrated. He was never considered to be better than Eichel until the shift focused to the 2016 draft and the media needed to hype it up.

This. We were spoiled by the amazing 2015 draft class. The only must-have prospect in this draft looks to be Matthews. I don't see anyone else I'd consider a franchise player, let alone elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad