2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There goalies are crap and there D is weak.

Edmonton is the definition of insanity. If that team doesn't make a trade for some help on D or in net and wins the lottery again, I think I'll need to stop watching the nhl for a year or two.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Wouldn't be opposed to taking Puljujarvi at 3... Reminds me of Kovalchuk

I'd feel bad for Puljujarvi. He looks so happy all the time. I don't think he'd do well in the media circus that is Toronto.

"Smiling after a loss? He must not care about his team."

But I'd still be thrilled to have his talents on this team.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
who knows? but we aren't a championship team yet, and the bottom line is that the more nhlers we have in our system, the better.

it could be something like:

rielly-dermott
gardiner-zaitsev
percy-loov/nielson/valiev

nielson and dermott have a shot of being d2. even percy outplayed phaneuf for a few games there before he fell off. under the right nhl coach...

ideally we get chychrun or matthews.

Everyone has that adrenaline when they start in the NHL, it's maintaining it. That is why guys like Jeremy Williams or Joey Crabb were nice on call ups but faded after 3-5 games.

Anyways . I don't bother writing Dermott, Nielsen, or even Valiev into any line ups yet.

I like that you were conservative with Percy and Loov though and put them in the bottom pairing for now. They might be better then that but it's better to be conservative then bank on a kid like Dermott panning out into a top pairing guy. These are kids and development takes so many twists and turns.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
or you know. draft with the ton of picks we have

Exactly. OR even trade down and get the Dermott's, Bracco's and Dzerkels.
Trading up makes me think of Tyler Biggs.

Gibson, Jenner, Saad....Oh My!!

I don't disagree with this, I just feel if we are going to have 15 picks (we already have 11 depending on conditions), we can afford to move up if we feel its right.

The Biggs situation was different. 1. We had a terrible prospect pool and couldn't afford to miss. 2. Burke wanted Burke guys. Hunter won't trade up to draft a Burke guy. 3. Hindsight with who was taken.

I'm also not advocating trading up from 30 to 22 for example. By then, its a wash, might as well take more cracks. I'm saying let's get in to the top 10, where the talent is better and there is less chance to miss.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I don't disagree with this, I just feel if we are going to have 15 picks (we already have 11 depending on conditions), we can afford to move up if we feel its right.

The Biggs situation was different. 1. We had a terrible prospect pool and couldn't afford to miss. 2. Burke wanted Burke guys. Hunter won't trade up to draft a Burke guy. 3. Hindsight with who was taken.

I'm also not advocating trading up from 30 to 22 for example. By then, its a wash, might as well take more cracks. I'm saying let's get in to the top 10, where the talent is better and there is less chance to miss.

fair enough. I trust Hunter trading up or down, as he sees fit. Burke not so much.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Agreed. At a certain point, there's only so many guys Hunter will want from the later rounds from the draft. No sense having an extra 2nd when there's no one that he's pumped to use it on.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Edmonton is the definition of insanity. If that team doesn't make a trade for some help on D or in net and wins the lottery again, I think I'll need to stop watching the nhl for a year or two.

If I'm Edmonton I go all in at D. With all their forwards they can stand to sacrifice.

Yakupov for Travis Hamonic
RNH for Seth Jones

Imagine

Hall - McDavid - Purcell
Poulliot - Draisaitl - Eberle

Hamonic - Sekera
Jones - Nurse
Klefbolm - Fayne

2 weak wingers in their top 6 but that D has the potential to be the best in the league. Then add another top 5 pick...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Tkachuk would look sweet here:

Tkachuk - Stamkos - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Kapanen - Kadri - X
Komarov - Gauthier - X

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Dermott

Ya right now, assuming we don't get Matthews, Im happy with one of Chychrun, Tkachuck, Laine or Puljujarvi so anywhere in the top 5 would be a solid pick for me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is it wrong of me to hope Nylander bruises his foot repeatedly blocking shots and can't skate all to well then falls to the 10-17 spot where we'll be picking?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Everyone has that adrenaline when they start in the NHL, it's maintaining it. That is why guys like Jeremy Williams or Joey Crabb were nice on call ups but faded after 3-5 games.

Anyways . I don't bother writing Dermott, Nielsen, or even Valiev into any line ups yet.

I like that you were conservative with Percy and Loov though and put them in the bottom pairing for now. They might be better then that but it's better to be conservative then bank on a kid like Dermott panning out into a top pairing guy. These are kids and development takes so many twists and turns.

I think that Percy, Loov and Valiev.. are the three strongest "two-way" d-men, that we have at at the moment to bring up... Yes.., Dermott should have some more time to develop, but he is also someone who might make a mid-season jump, next season.., if he continues to excel..

I've been watching a lot of Alex Nylander this season.. and really like what I have seen from him... Since I've been watching the Mississauga Steelheads.., I have also got to see a lot of another 2016 Draft Prospect.. He plays often on Nylander's line.. and has worked well,as a solid two-way Center..., with points on various lines.... Check him out..

Mike McLeod 2014 & 2015 Extended Highlights

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Since I've been watching the Mississauga Steelheads.., I have also got to see a lot of another 2016 Draft Prospect.. He plays often on Nylander's line.. and has worked well,as a solid two-way Center..., with points on various lines.... Check him out..

Thank you for the video! I will try to go to the Steelheads-Knights game on Sunday to see McLeod, Nylander, Marner and others :)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If we end up picking 2nd overall (most probably Mattews is gone), i would pick a defender in Chychrun over any forwards available

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think that Percy, Loov and Valiev.. are the three strongest "two-way" d-men, that we have at at the moment to bring up... Yes.., Dermott should have some more time to develop, but he is also someone who might make a mid-season jump, next season.., if he continues to excel..

I've been watching a lot of Alex Nylander this season.. and really like what I have seen from him... Since I've been watching the Mississauga Steelheads.., I have also got to see a lot of another 2016 Draft Prospect.. He plays often on Nylander's line.. and has worked well,as a solid two-way Center..., with points on various lines.... Check him out..

Thank you very much. McLeod reminds me of a sleeper centre - the type that Detroit picks -up mid 1st round.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I just prefer to take the conservative route with our guys rather then overhype or pen them into future top line/pairing roles. The majority of our fan base can't accept that not all prospects are all stars and usually run the kid out of town.

Alex Nylander is an excellent prospect, even if he had a different name he'd be on our radar. Mike McLeod has been getting a lot of praise and seems to have a lot of things we'd want in a player.

If we end up picking 2nd overall (most probably Mattews is gone), i would pick a defender in Chychrun over any forwards available

Definitely, if it's not Matthews, it's Chychrun, and if we're not picking top 2, in Hunter I trust.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Definitely, if it's not Matthews, it's Chychrun, and if we're not picking top 2, in Hunter I trust.

Chychrun is going to be in the conversation all year, but the three forwards Laine, Puljujarvi and Tkachuk are right there as well and I view it as a group rather another tier.

For myself at the moment, I may be leaning to one of the Finns.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Chychrun is going to be in the conversation all year, but the three forwards Laine, Puljujarvi and Tkachuk are right there as well and I view it as a group rather another tier.

For myself at the moment, I may be leaning to one of the Finns.

I think it's Matthews

and then it's Laine, Puljujarrvi, Tkachuk, and Chychrun (no specific order) seemingly now.

my 1-2 is Matthews and Chychrun. I don't know enough about Jesse to make a valid opinion, and all I've heard of Laine is he's mad talented but seemingly has attitude issues. Tkachuk is a nice one too.

Then in that next tier I have interest in Juolevi, Brown, Nylander, and McLeod

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. Matthews
2. Chychrun
3. Hunter you're up

I'd like to take the opposite strategy this year. I don't think this draft is as deep as last year.

If we get a bunch of extra picks from all the UFAs etc, I'd like to explore bundling picks to move up.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Logan Brown, Nylander 1.5 if we can work it to get those 2 that would be a great first round. we just gotta hope the penguins get ousted in the first round.

but this is presuming we aren't in the top 3 come draft day. if we are. how many other teams have first round picks>?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad