2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
man getting matthews or chychrun would be amazing for the rebuild...be happy with the 3-5 pick too

matthews kadri marner
jvr nylander brown/kapanen

or

chychrun phaneuf
rielly gardiner

either look great...lets keep playing like tonight

i would be pretty fricken happy with either of matthews or chychrun,

:popcorn:

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Patrik Laine is a fantastic talent, and a name to watch this year. I tend to favour smaller, highly skilled players, but Laine is a player who I'm very high on in 2016. I'm starting to think he projects better than Puljujarvi. NHL scouts are on record saying they think Laine could be the best pure goalscoring talent Finland has ever produced, with 40-50 goal potential in the NHL.

One of the best shots I've ever seen from a draft eligible prospect. The quickness of his release is almost Kessel-esque, and he has the ability to score goals from anywhere on the ice. His hands are also butter soft. If Laine produces in the WJC like he did in last years U-18 (8 goals, 11 points in 7 games), he challenges for #2. Not that it matters much, but he's also 6'4 for the people who care about that stuff.

Thanks for posting the vids. Yeah he would certainly be a welcome addition, tough call between him and Pulju, will be an interesting storyline as the season progresses.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Patrik Laine is a fantastic talent, and a name to watch this year. I tend to favour smaller, highly skilled players, but Laine is a player who I'm very high on in 2016. I'm starting to think he projects better than Puljujarvi. NHL scouts are on record saying they think Laine could be the best pure goalscoring talent Finland has ever produced, with 40-50 goal potential in the NHL.

One of the best shots I've ever seen from a draft eligible prospect. The quickness of his release is almost Kessel-esque, and he has the ability to score goals from anywhere on the ice. His hands are also butter soft. If Laine produces in the WJC like he did in last years U-18 (8 goals, 11 points in 7 games), he challenges for #2. Not that it matters much, but he's also 6'4 for the people who care about that stuff.

Guess they forgot about that Selanne guy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's probably something that has been suggested before, and maybe it's more sentiment > common sense.

However, if the Leafs were to win the lottery and get the 1st pick, do you think there's a deal to be done with the 'Yotes. Matthews for Strome + ?

The Arizona fans are understandably wishing they could get the homegrown Matthews, and it could be really helpful for their franchise. In the meantime, the Leafs would get one of their own homegrown players who is a true 1C, and realistically, something else in the deal.

Obviously the + would have to be very tempting to forgo Matthews. Maybe the Arizona desire to make the franchise work there could work in our favour?

No, followed by never.

You don't pass up on Matthews for anything. I don't understand why fans decide to try to outsmart the idea of taking a (likely) franchise player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's probably something that has been suggested before, and maybe it's more sentiment > common sense.

However, if the Leafs were to win the lottery and get the 1st pick, do you think there's a deal to be done with the 'Yotes. Matthews for Strome + ?

The Arizona fans are understandably wishing they could get the homegrown Matthews, and it could be really helpful for their franchise. In the meantime, the Leafs would get one of their own homegrown players who is a true 1C, and realistically, something else in the deal.

Obviously the + would have to be very tempting to forgo Matthews. Maybe the Arizona desire to make the franchise work there could work in our favour?

You can bet Arizona will be making a real strong offer for the pick should Leafs have the #1 after the lottery.

Arizona likely to have a top 5 pick themselves in that offer to switch picks and they own NYR #1 in 2016 as well..

You never say never but I think it would be very difficult for any team to trade the #1 away if they have Matthews secured with it.

PS. Arizona also have a couple of Mark Hunter former Knights and Marner teammates and linemates in Domi and Dvorak.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You can bet Arizona will be making a real strong offer for the pick should Leafs have the #1 after the lottery.

Arizona likely to have a top 5 pick themselves in that offer to switch picks and they own NYR #1 in 2016 as well..

You never say never but I think it would be very difficult for any team to trade the #1 away if they have Matthews secured with it.

PS. Arizona also have a couple of Mark Hunter former Knights and Marner teammates and linemates in Domi and Dvorak.

The only way Arizona gets the Auston Matthews pick from me if I'm the Leafs is if they trade their lottery pick in 2016, plus their next four first round lottery guaranteed picks. As in the trade is only complete after we collect on four first round picks from non playoff years by Arizona. After a decade of the Leafs sniffing around Tavares, Stamkos, McDavid, etc. and being made fun of by other fan bases every year trying to trade for them, I am in no mood to give someone else's hometown star prospect away unless it cripples said other franchise. Screw the Coyotes. Not playing nice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The only way Arizona gets the Auston Matthews pick from me if I'm the Leafs is if they trade their lottery pick in 2016, plus their next four first round lottery guaranteed picks. As in the trade is only complete after we collect on four first round picks from non playoff years by Arizona. After a decade of the Leafs sniffing around Tavares, Stamkos, McDavid, etc. and being made fun of by other fan bases every year trying to trade for them, I am in no mood to give someone else's hometown star prospect away unless it cripples said other franchise. Screw the Coyotes. Not playing nice.

Pretty much.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I wonder if Debrincat will be worthy of the PIT 1st. I've seen his shot to know it's at an NHL level. I saw him score a rocket into the top of the net from a foot or so out similar to what Sundin would do once in a while. That's not easy. Especially as a one-timer.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If we got Auston Matthews, I'd seriously consider trading down a spot or two if we get a good offer, although it does depend on how they all perform over the next year. Matthews is great, but so are the next few prospects.

Stamkos is a star, but trading down for Doughty wouldn't have been a terrible idea. Tavares is a star, but trading down to Hedman could have worked too. There are some drafts where trading back a spot or two would have been horrible, and some drafts where it would have ended up with a better pick. This isn't a Crosby/McDavid draft though, and you have to trust Hunter and our scouts to make an informed decision.

Assuming we think Matthews/Chychrun is like Stamkos/Doughty or Tavares/Hedman, the price of trading down would be less than Strome, much less than their next four 1sts, but more than Chicago's 1st.

I'd say Arizona's 2017 1st, unprotected, would be a fair price. Likely a top 10 pick, possibly still a lotto pick.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only reason to trade out of 1st overall is if you're unsure if Matthews will develop into an elite player. As a teenager he's already playing beside men in Switzerland. People are comparing him very favourably to Eichel. I just don't think a team can trade away that kind of player. He's everything the Leafs have needed since Sundin left.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
The only reason to trade out of 1st overall is if you're unsure if Matthews will develop into an elite player. As a teenager he's already playing beside men in Switzerland. People are comparing him very favourably to Richel. I just don't think a team can trade away that kind of player. He's everything the Leafs have needed since Sundin left.

As Ovate said, our scouts could see Chychrun as an equal or superior player, and possibly a greater need as well. We really have no idea how our scouts will evaluate said players, but one thing we do know, our braintrust isn't afraid of making a bold pick and doesn't go by consensus rankings...if they did, we'd have Hanafin instead of Marner. Heck our scouts might have Pulju or Laine ranked 1st overall when all is said and done.

If Chychrun has a big year it really could be a Stamkos/Doughty or Tavares/Hedman scenario.

91Kadri91*

As Ovate said, our scouts could see Chychrun as an equal or superior player, and possibly a greater need as well. We really have no idea how our scouts will evaluate said players, but one thing we do know, our braintrust isn't afraid of making a bold pick and doesn't go by consensus rankings...if they did, we'd have Hanafin instead of Marner. Heck our scouts might have Pulju or Laine ranked 1st overall when all is said and done.

If Chychrun has a big year it really could be a Stamkos/Doughty or Tavares/Hedman scenario.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015-draft/prospect-consensus-rankings/

article_44821a37-d722-49e1-8484-8cb19852f489.png

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/6/11/2015-entry-draft-industry-consensus-rankings

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
No, followed by never.

You don't pass up on Matthews for anything. I don't understand why fans decide to try to outsmart the idea of taking a (likely) franchise player.

Seriously. Matthews is being compared favorably to Eichel. THAT'S GENERATIONAL TALENT, FOLKS!

**** the "being from Arizona" thing, who gives a flying **** about where he's from? Arizona might, but we should not. Other than accepting a trade offer that would completely cripple the other franchise, name one good reason we should trade him, just one. Chychrun is not a good reason (you draft BPA this early on, for ****s sake) and paranoia isn't either.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

You would never get that, nor should you expect that.

Two things to add though.

Technically any pick from a team that doesn't make the playoffs is a "lottery" pick now; so even in your plan you could end up with some picks in the 8th-12th range.

The other scenario is what if he doesn't want to come? Or more, what if he has his mind set on saving the Arizona franchise? I don't think the likelihood of that happening is great, but it's an interesting dynamic with the team almost on the brink, and this sunbelt superstar who happens to be from the area becoming available.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You would never get that, nor should you expect that.

Two things to add though.

Technically any pick from a team that doesn't make the playoffs is a "lottery" pick now; so even in your plan you could end up with some picks in the 8th-12th range.

The other scenario is what if he doesn't want to come? Or more, what if he has his mind set on saving the Arizona franchise? I don't think the likelihood of that happening is great, but it's an interesting dynamic with the team almost on the brink, and this sunbelt superstar who happens to be from the area becoming available.

That's just being so overly insanely paranoid. You think the Oilers were afraid of drafting McDavid because he might have his mind set on Toronto? You think the Sabres were afraid of drafting Eichel because he might have his mind set on Boston? Hell ****ing no.

Seriously, some people are just reaching really hard. You draft BPA here. End of story.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Perhaps, though when it comes to the first overall there seems to be rarely a doubt as to who would go first.

The Leafs most reverb pick was at a spot where there really wasn't much separating Hanifin/Marner/Stelme. If they had the #2 pick I can guarantee you Hunter would have selected Eichel, even though he's not afraid of making picks that challenge conventional wisdom.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
That's just being so overly insanely paranoid. You think the Oilers were afraid of drafting McDavid because he might have his mind set on Toronto? You think the Sabres were afraid of drafting Eichel because he might have his mind set on Boston? Hell ****ing no.

Seriously, some people are just reaching really hard. You draft BPA here. End of story.

No, no. It's not paranoia, I'm just playing devil's advocate. We(quite a few Leaf fans anyway) always want the GTA kid to stick it to another team, whether it be at the draft or via free agency and come home and play for the Leafs; well what if that theory goes against us one day?

Like I said above, I don't really expect that to be the case with Matthews, I think already the kid has shown by his decision to play in Zurich that geography isn't the main factor in his hockey decisions.

Anyway it's Sunday, I'm bored :laugh:, and I thought it was worth a discussion from the angle of Leaf fans wanting to get GTA kids on the Leafs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad