2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not saying there is such thing as too many picks, but if we end up with an upwards of 15 picks or something, wouldn't mind using a few to move up, especially with Pittsburgh's 1st.

Totally.

I imagine we can add another 2nd, 3rd (maybe 2), and a few 4ths at the deadline. At worst a few more 5th and 6ths.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Well I also believe that we won't be picking in top5, but only because of lottery.

And we have this picks, according to generalfanager:
2016 Draft Picks (11)
Round 1 TOR 1 PIT 1 *
Round 2 TOR 2
Round 3 TOR 3 NJD 3
Round 4 TOR 4
Round 5 TOR 5 ANA 5
Round 6 TOR 6 STL 6 *
Round 7 TOR 7

Players like Polak (cant see less than a 2nd) Spalling, Arcobello, Grabner, PA, possibly Mathais, Boyes, Reimer and to a much lesser and unlikely extent, Bozak and Lupul could be gone for picks. Most likely the above 5 could be traded at the deadline.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Players like Polak (cant see less than a 2nd) Spalling, Arcobello, Grabner, PA, possibly Mathais, Boyes, Reimer and to a much lesser and unlikely extent, Bozak and Lupul could be gone for picks. Most likely the above 5 could be traded at the deadline.

Bozak and Lupul will be the tough sells. Term and money owing will be a sticking point.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Almost impossible to trade them for any sort of value back unless they play a ton better, especially Lupul.

Honestly at this point, if they are able to deal them for someone else (even if they are paid more) but have 1-2 less years on the contract, I make the deal.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bozak has some value.

Some team will want him as depth come TD, hopefully for the 2nd rounder we seek but at least a 3rd could be worked out. Lupul is roadkill, we will be buying him out after this year.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
4 tonight, Strome 5 assists.

TBH im kinda wishing to myself that the oilers didnt get the first pick, kept the 3rd, took hanifin, and we got strome. I think strome is going to be a legit #1 centre in this league wheras, i think marner will be a number 1 winger. I still think strome will score more. Hanifin seems like a good player but im not as concerned about not getting him

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
It's probably something that has been suggested before, and maybe it's more sentiment > common sense.

However, if the Leafs were to win the lottery and get the 1st pick, do you think there's a deal to be done with the 'Yotes. Matthews for Strome + ?

The Arizona fans are understandably wishing they could get the homegrown Matthews, and it could be really helpful for their franchise. In the meantime, the Leafs would get one of their own homegrown players who is a true 1C, and realistically, something else in the deal.

Obviously the + would have to be very tempting to forgo Matthews. Maybe the Arizona desire to make the franchise work there could work in our favour?

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
man getting matthews or chychrun would be amazing for the rebuild...be happy with the 3-5 pick too

matthews kadri marner
jvr nylander brown/kapanen

or

chychrun phaneuf
rielly gardiner

either look great...lets keep playing like tonight

Last edited:

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
The apparent forgotten man, Jesse Puljujarvi, is scoring at the same clip as Rantanen did last year. 2-3-5 in 10 games = 0.5 ppg.

Barkov put up nearly a ppg in his draft year in Liiga, so we'll see how this affects Puljujarvi's draft stock if it stays like this. I've always believed that his stock would drop strictly because he's a winger.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Debrincat would be a great pick with the Pittsburgh pick, even better with one of our 2nd rounders. I don't think he goes past the first round if he produces that much throughout the year. We'll see.

The guy is just pure talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Debrincat would be a great pick with the Pittsburgh pick, even better with one of our 2nd rounders. I don't think he goes past the first round if he produces that much throughout the year. We'll see.

The guy is just pure talent.
He had 51 goals and 104 points in his pre-draft year.

That's better production than most of the players drafted.

He is a Detroit, Michigan kid so much like Larkin who is also Michigan born seem destined to play for their home town teams they grew up cheering for. Detroit loves skilled players .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought Niagara was supposed to be one of the contenders for the league title this year? They have a pretty impressive roster (at least, on paper)

Your right
IceDogs 3rd in Pre-Season BMO CHL Top 10 Rankings!

The Niagara IceDogs were ranked third in the pre-season version of the BMO CHL Top 10 rankings, making them the top ranked team from the OHL! The weekly rankings of the CHL’s Top-10 teams are selected by a panel of National Hockey League scouts.

The ranking sees only the WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings and QMJHL's Shawinigan Cataractes ahead of the IceDogs and comes on the heels of an extremely impressive second half of the season for the IceDogs last season that was followed by a first round playoff win over the Ottawa 67's, before the IceDogs would fall to the eventual Memorial Cup Champion Oshawa Generals. With a strong returning core, the IceDogs will be looking to build upon their strong finish to the season last year and live up to this pre-season ranking.

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/article/icedogs-3rd-in-pre-season-bmo-chl-top-10-rankings

They are considered one of the top teams in the CHL.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Patrik Laine is a fantastic talent, and a name to watch this year. I tend to favour smaller, highly skilled players, but Laine is a player who I'm very high on in 2016. I'm starting to think he projects better than Puljujarvi. NHL scouts are on record saying they think Laine could be the best pure goalscoring talent Finland has ever produced, with 40-50 goal potential in the NHL.

One of the best shots I've ever seen from a draft eligible prospect. The quickness of his release is almost Kessel-esque, and he has the ability to score goals from anywhere on the ice. His hands are also butter soft. If Laine produces in the WJC like he did in last years U-18 (8 goals, 11 points in 7 games), he challenges for #2. Not that it matters much, but he's also 6'4 for the people who care about that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad