2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - "I guess we kind of care" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I haven't followed this thread, but is there any talk about the Sharks trading into the first round? I'm not sure it's necessary (Would rather them load up on picks rather than pick a first rounder, mainly for the future of the team), but considering they don't have a first round pick, is the Draft still worth watching this year?

DW has a number of pending UFAs (Reimer, Polak, Spaling) that may garner some prospects.

He also may have a few other players that might get moved for better positioning.

(If you have to expose Wingels and Karlsson, why not trade one for better draft today?)

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Nice article. I feel like Burke probably has some guys he's targeted and I could see Doug moving up in the 2nd to grab one of the guys you mentioned in the fallers category.

Good read, I like most of those names. For future's reference, it would be nice to see the prospect's league, birthdate, height, weight, and statistics. For instance, a player's birthdate makes a big difference to me.
Thanks for reading, and I will be publishing 10 later round targets tomorrow. Jux, I definitely understand what you're saying and may take that into account for next year, but I've been doing it in this style for the past couple years so just want to keep it consistent for the last article tomorrow.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
3 Round Mock Redux starts drafting today and still missing an owner for your team...if anyone's interested comment on it or pm me please!!!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

There are a couple of prospects on your list that I have a hard time seeing the Sharks targeting in the top 60 like Fox & Girard. While the org seems to be getting away from the tired cliche of "you can't teach size" it's still something they tend to value quite a bit, especially in d-men.

Two forwards I can see the org liking a lot are Gregor (high IQ, two way forward, high compete level) and if he happens to still be on the board, Raddysh (another high IQ, high compete level power forward style). Both of those guys have good offensive upside as well.

I do think that Kuokkanen could also be high on their list, same with Allison though I think he might be a bit of a reach in the 2nd round.

I'd be very happy with any of those 4 guys though Gregor is one of my favorites considering his skillset & being one of the youngest DE players in this draft.

As for d-men, I'd think guys like Allard, Moverare (I like both of those guys a lot), Peeke and probably Stanley, They may like Johansen too.

Last edited:

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is a website I like to use a lot when I'm looking at our picks for now and in the future as well as other teams' picks. Provides more detail on where the picks came from, etc. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Sharks.htm

Does anyone actually think we're going to try to trade up for a 1st? If we do, who would we even want to give up anyway? Not sure which of our prospects would really fetch us a decent 1st if we packaged that with a pick of ours. This draft might end up sucking for us since I've heard this is not a very deep draft outside of the top 10-20 guys. But then again who knows? I mean we got Jeremy Roy with the 31st pick and start of the 2nd round last year so we'll see. I just hope we can try to get a 1st without breaking up anyone in our core.

jakeytown

Aug 10, 2011
El Paso TX
Sharks just traded our 4th (120th) from the 2016 draft, and 2017 3rd to Arizona, for Maxim Latunov and 2017 6th.

Blockbuster...

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Sharks just traded our 4th (120th) from the 2016 draft, and 2017 3rd to Arizona, for Maxim Latunov and 2017 6th.

Blockbuster...

Yeah. I made a tread about this trade because I needed to see something "Confirmed with link" :D I'm desperately waiting the draft and July 1st.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This is a website I like to use a lot when I'm looking at our picks for now and in the future as well as other teams' picks. Provides more detail on where the picks came from, etc. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Sharks.htm

Does anyone actually think we're going to try to trade up for a 1st? If we do, who would we even want to give up anyway? Not sure which of our prospects would really fetch us a decent 1st if we packaged that with a pick of ours. This draft might end up sucking for us since I've heard this is not a very deep draft outside of the top 10-20 guys. But then again who knows? I mean we got Jeremy Roy with the 31st pick and start of the 2nd round last year so we'll see. I just hope we can try to get a 1st without breaking up anyone in our core.

I think there's a decent chance that DW moves up in the 2nd but there isn't a huge difference between prospects that are ranked around 20 through probably close to 55-60 so I don't think they need to try to get a 1st round pick considering what it's likely to cost.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
So, where does Tage Thompson rank these days? Funny I remember someone mentioning him a while back.

Looks pretty good along with Letunov. :naughty:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
So I'm a busboy at a restaurant named Del Friscos in MTL, and Larry Robinson's agent, Donnie Cape, is a regular there. He likes to joke around and talk to me since I'm a Sharks fan. So I was wondering what the Sharks were going for in the draft, so I asked him and he told me two key things. He told me that they wanted to trade for a player, which is really vague but he also told me something interesting: he said the Sharks wanted to draft a specific player. A ~6ft4 winger who plays in the NCAA, who intially made the top 211 prospect list but was then taken off due to an injury. He said the Sharks wanted to take a chance on him. In all honesty, I have no clue who this player is and I wanted to know if any of you guys had an idea.

Letunov is 6'4 and in the NCAA but he plays center :sarcasm:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Bob McKenzie released his top 80 for this draft and there are a few surprises on there like Johansen in the 1st round but the big one that stands out to me is where he has Will Bitten.

If, big if I think, Bitten is still on the board after #40 I'd really, really love for DW to move up and take him. Bitten is at least above average at just about everything & he projects really well at the next level. He's undersized & played for a ****show of a team last year which is why I guess he may go in the 2nd half of the 2nd round.

Here's his list: http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Bob McKenzie released his top 80 for this draft and there are a few surprises on there like Johansen in the 1st round but the big one that stands out to me is where he has Will Bitten.

If, big if I think, Bitten is still on the board after #40 I'd really, really love for DW to move up and take him. Bitten is at least above average at just about everything & he projects really well at the next level. He's undersized & played for a ****show of a team last year which is why I guess he may go in the 2nd half of the 2nd round.

Here's his list: http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Mckenzie's lists are always interesting. He seems so connected to teams that he often knows who they're going to pick. I imagine Doug is planning on moving up, unless they targeted someone like Dahlen who McKenzie has at 62. Dube is higher than I expected here. Central scouting has him as the 41st rated NA skater, and Mckenzie has him as 37th overall.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
What a difference a year makes. Last year I was doing more research on prospects than I'd ever done and so excited for a shiny new prospect and hoping DW wouldn't screw up a rare top 10 pick. This year, don't really care. I know the Sharks have struck gold with some mid and late round picks but those are really crapshoots. I'm really only interested in the 1st 2 rounds and we have no picks there as of right now.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
What a difference a year makes. Last year I was doing more research on prospects than I'd ever done and so excited for a shiny new prospect and hoping DW wouldn't screw up a rare top 10 pick. This year, don't really care. I know the Sharks have struck gold with some mid and late round picks but those are really crapshoots. I'm really only interested in the 1st 2 rounds and we have no picks there as of right now.

Uh, we still have our 2nd, AFAIK. Or did I miss some trade dealing it away?

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Mckenzie's lists are always interesting. He seems so connected to teams that he often knows who they're going to pick. I imagine Doug is planning on moving up, unless they targeted someone like Dahlen who McKenzie has at 62. Dube is higher than I expected here. Central scouting has him as the 41st rated NA skater, and Mckenzie has him as 37th overall.

I'd be ecstatic if we could land dahlen at 60. I won't get my hopes up but his superelit numbers last year were great and he outscored Alex nylander. His allsvenskan numbers this year also compare very well to players like Pasternak, Weinberg, and even Filip forsberg.

Can anyone actually explain how he's ranked so low everywhere?

Also, if going by McKenzie's rankings, abramov should be available around our pick in which case I hope we trade up or can nab him at 60. I know it's a pipe dream but this guy has top 15 talent and his only weakness is size. He can skate, shoot, and think with the best of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad