2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - "I guess we kind of care" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Hello all, with the CSS releasing its midterm rankings I figured we might as well start this thread up.

List of our draft picks (LadyStanley's site):
http://tealpuck.com/2016draft.html (No 1st this year)

My friend will occasionally be posting updates on prospects he likes. Keep the doom and gloom to the roster talk ;)

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Look at the Islanders, they went into the 2015 draft with no 1st round picks, and ended the day with getting two.

Two 4ths and four 7ths... We might be able to unload Ben Smith for another pick. Lots of options to move up.

2 SJ
4 NYR->SJ
4 SJ
5 SJ
6 SJ
7 CHI->SJ
7 LA->SJ
7 STL->SJ
7 SJ

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Look at the Islanders, they went into the 2015 draft with no 1st round picks, and ended the day with getting two.

Two 4ths and four 7ths... We might be able to unload Ben Smith for another pick. Lots of options to move up.

2 SJ
4 NYR->SJ
4 SJ
5 SJ
6 SJ
7 CHI->SJ
7 LA->SJ
7 STL->SJ
7 SJ

I have a feeling we dump Wingels this off-season as well. Maybe even around the TDL. I won't say we end up getting a 1st round pick this year but I definitely think there will be some kind of off-season movement for us this year.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

We don't exactly have a failing top5 draft pick to trade to a GM that isn't the best with evaluating young talent.

2 SJ
4 NYR->SJ
4 SJ
5 SJ
6 SJ
7 CHI->SJ
7 LA->SJ
7 STL->SJ
7 SJ

Smith is probably as good as gone. I'd like to trade some assets for a 3rd. Going into the draft with 9-10 picks is great, even if none of them are 1sts.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
2 SJ
4 NYR->SJ
4 SJ
5 SJ
6 SJ
7 CHI->SJ
7 LA->SJ
7 STL->SJ
7 SJ

I'm not sure the Sharks will actually have 3 7th round picks. Two of those were of the "conditional" variety and I'm not sure what the conditions were or if they were met.

Anyway, even if the Sharks only have 1 pick in the top 90 I'm still looking forward to the draft as I think the Sharks could have a chance to get a good player in the 2nd round & having watched/watching a lot of these kids play it's fun to see where they end up.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
With the logjam of potential bottom-6 forwards to make the team next year, would anyone entertain Wingels + Mueller for a mid-first?

I like Keller, Bellows, and Rubtsov around there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
With the logjam of potential bottom-6 forwards to make the team next year, would anyone entertain Wingels + Mueller for a mid-first?

I like Keller, Bellows, and Rubtsov around there.

In heartbeat. No one would trade one to us for that though.

I'm penning in Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, and Donskoi as top-6 level forwards for next season (not to say they'll all be on the top-6 lines). That leaves Ward, Wingels, Nieto, Tierney, Goldobin, Meier, Karlsson, Carpenter, and Goodrow competing for "bottom-6" spots. Ward and Tierney should be locks. I could see Wingels or Nieto traded to make room. I think Goldobin will stick with the NHL team next season, and I'd love to see Goodrow get another shot on the 4th line. He's pretty ideal there. Brown, Torres, and Zubrus are gone.

XXX-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
XXX-Couture-Donskoi
Goodrow-Tierney-Karlsson

That's what I'd like to see. Whether that means putting Goldobin on the top-line or on the third line remains to be seen. I'd love if Meier could earn his way onto the team (legitimately, not like Mueller, out of need). This seems likely because we have a ton of middle-6 wingers, so Meier would have to really outperform them to make it.

Goldobin-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Meier-Couture-Donskoi
Carpenter/Goodrow-Tierney-Karlsson/Nieto

Could be fun.

Anyway, draft. Yeah, I haven't followed this draft at all this season. I tend to follow draft classes extensively or not at all. I followed 2013 and 2015 obsessively. I didn't really pay much attention to the 2014 class outside of a few faves.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I usually pick one dude I really want around March and lament not getting him in June. 2014 was Larkin, 2015 was Connor. Dunno if I'm gonna do one this year though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You might also want to take a gander at http://tealpuck.com/2016needcontract.html -- those who will be RFAs and UFAs this summer -- as potential trade bait.

No RFAs with "red flags" (with possible exception of Crane -- who's been in the ECHL so I haven't seen him play).

Stollery and Lerg about the only UFAs I'd like back.

Last edited:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
In heartbeat. No one would trade one to us for that though.

I'm penning in Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, and Donskoi as top-6 level forwards for next season (not to say they'll all be on the top-6 lines). That leaves Ward, Wingels, Nieto, Tierney, Goldobin, Meier, Karlsson, Carpenter, and Goodrow competing for "bottom-6" spots. Ward and Tierney should be locks. I could see Wingels or Nieto traded to make room. I think Goldobin will stick with the NHL team next season, and I'd love to see Goodrow get another shot on the 4th line. He's pretty ideal there. Brown, Torres, and Zubrus are gone.

XXX-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
XXX-Couture-Donskoi
Goodrow-Tierney-Karlsson

That's what I'd like to see. Whether that means putting Goldobin on the top-line or on the third line remains to be seen. I'd love if Meier could earn his way onto the team (legitimately, not like Mueller, out of need). This seems likely because we have a ton of middle-6 wingers, so Meier would have to really outperform them to make it.

Goldobin-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Hertl-Ward
Meier-Couture-Donskoi
Carpenter/Goodrow-Tierney-Karlsson/Nieto

Could be fun.

Anyway, draft. Yeah, I haven't followed this draft at all this season. I tend to follow draft classes extensively or not at all. I followed 2013 and 2015 obsessively. I didn't really pay much attention to the 2014 class outside of a few faves.

I'd wager a bet that Meier will be written into the lineup next season & have to lose the job rather than "earn" it, just my opinion.

Assuming no big drop off from the old guys I'm hoping to see something along the lines of:
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Wingels/Nieto/Goodrow

You could probably swap Meier & Goldobin but I think they give Meier the Hertl treatment in his first pro season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Nieto or Wingels (I'd prefer to keep Nieto due to age, skillset, etc.) moved but I don't see either returning too much.

If (big if at this point) Meier & Goldobin can both contribute at the NHL level next year the Sharks could be pretty damn good up front next year.

Edit: According to LeBrun I shouldn't be so quick to pencil Marleau into the lineup next season...so back to the draft, if the Sharks are looking for a 1st round pick if (IF!) Marleau still wants to be traded there's a chance they could get one back in a deal for him.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Other players to insert into NHL and/or AHL rosters: Chartier, Fitzgerald, Meier, Roy
And assuming the Sharks sign 'em: Blackwell, Helewka, Labanc, O'Regan, Rod, Sadowy, Schoenborn, Vanier

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Other players to insert into NHL and/or AHL rosters: Chartier, Fitzgerald, Meier, Roy
And assuming the Sharks sign 'em: Blackwell, Helewka, Labanc, O'Regan, Rod, Sadowy, Schoenborn, Vanier

Just for clarification, Roy can't play in the AHL next season so it's either NHL or back to the Q (which is what I expect).

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

My guess is Fitzy goes back as an OA.

Vanier is the only one on that list that i think isn't signed and I think Blackwell will be on an AHL contract. His concussion issues make a 3 year ELC undesirable. The only question is whether or not the AHL contract is with us or Boston.

Gabryel Boudreau might be another OA brought in.

I'm getting off topic but the point is, we will have an overflow in the system. I wouldn't be upset if we did what we did last draft and primarily took players whose rights we controlled for 4 years.

Although if we draft more college bound defensive dmen...

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I have a feeling we dump Wingels this off-season as well. Maybe even around the TDL. I won't say we end up getting a 1st round pick this year but I definitely think there will be some kind of off-season movement for us this year.

I doubt they move Wingels this year. They only have 9 current NHL forwards under contract for next year and Wingels is relatively affordable for a guy who can slot in almost anywhere (if you don't expect much offense). And if Marleau is traded, that's only 8 under contract.

Assuming no NHL players come back for Marleau, I can't see them trying to integrate 4 or more new forwards next year if they can avoid it.

I assume that Goodrow comes up to replace Smith, Torres, Zubrus or Brown who are all expiring. Most likely Brown from a role perspective. That still leaves 3 or 4 (if Marleau goes) forward spots open. The best bet is probably keep Wingels through the start of the season and if the decide they want to move on to try and trade him at the TDL next year when he will be an expiring contract.

EDIT: I forgot to account for the 2 RFA's, Hertl and Nieto, so my supposition above is off. But you probably already knew that. :)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I still like Tyler Benson and ty ronning, but I'm heavily biased. Would love to get a 3rd to snag ronning early. He reminds me of Pavelski or Brendan Gallagher.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd wager a bet that Meier will be written into the lineup next season & have to lose the job rather than "earn" it, just my opinion.

Assuming no big drop off from the old guys I'm hoping to see something along the lines of:
Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Donskoi
Goldobin-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Tierney-Wingels/Nieto/Goodrow

You could probably swap Meier & Goldobin but I think they give Meier the Hertl treatment in his first pro season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Nieto or Wingels (I'd prefer to keep Nieto due to age, skillset, etc.) moved but I don't see either returning too much.

If (big if at this point) Meier & Goldobin can both contribute at the NHL level next year the Sharks could be pretty damn good up front next year.

Edit: According to LeBrun I shouldn't be so quick to pencil Marleau into the lineup next season...so back to the draft, if the Sharks are looking for a 1st round pick if (IF!) Marleau still wants to be traded there's a chance they could get one back in a deal for him.

You more or less nailed the exact lineup I want. Of them, perhaps move Nieto and Wingels. If we can get a good young #5 RH offensive d-man, I'd be stoked.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Move Marleau for a 1st rounder

Draft Chychrun :sarcasm:

Vlasic - Braun
Dillon - Burns
Chychrun - Demelo

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Hertl - Jumbo - Pavs
Meier - Couture - Donskoi
Goldobin - Tierney - Ward
Karlsson - Wingels - Nieto

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I still like Tyler Benson and ty ronning, but I'm heavily biased. Would love to get a 3rd to snag ronning early. He reminds me of Pavelski or Brendan Gallagher.

Ronning is a spark plug, he's pretty fun to watch.

I probably have the same bias issue but I really like Dillon Dube.

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
It may be an unpopular opinion (I have no idea), but I'm all for trading Braun and Nieto for a high 1st, trying to grab a top 3 pick and drafting Puljujarvi. I'm all about that kid, I honestly see superstar potential, and with a few years of seasoning, a huge threat on a Sharks line.

Puljujarvi-Couture-Meier

That has me drooling as a Sharks fan.
I was also pulling for Wilson to draft Vehvelainen last draft, when he took Kupsky. Didn't have a great World Juniors, but he is one of the top goalies in the Liiga, and I love his potential. But no, we're obsessed with goalies with size :shakehead

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
It may be an unpopular opinion (I have no idea), but I'm all for trading Braun and Nieto for a high 1st, trying to grab a top 3 pick and drafting Puljujarvi. I'm all about that kid, I honestly see superstar potential, and with a few years of seasoning, a huge threat on a Sharks line.

Puljujarvi-Couture-Meier

That has me drooling as a Sharks fan.
I was also pulling for Wilson to draft Vehvelainen last draft, when he took Kupsky. Didn't have a great World Juniors, but he is one of the top goalies in the Liiga, and I love his potential. But no, we're obsessed with goalies with size :shakehead

I think it would be unpopular because its unrealistic (beyond being bad for our already average blueline). Braun could probably get us a 1st rounder, but not a top 3 pick (and Nieto won't help get it there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad