GDT: 2016 NHL Draft

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I am not suggesting anything. I know that we reached game six of the Stanley Cup Final and to take a shot at the GM for not doing what you think should be done is bordering on pompous. You will never know what WOULD have happened. NEVER. You can't argue that. It is pointless. Except here, where baseless claims are said as fact. It's ridiculous.

So you're saying that Wilson is untouchable now? He should be immune to criticism?

My 'claims' are not baseless, they are based on the fact that Dillon-DeMelo proved they were a better pairing than Dillon-Polak and that Spaling does not have a history of being better than Wingels, whom he replaced.

I've praised Wilson a ton over the past year. He had a wonderful offseason last summer. However, regardless of how far we went in the playoffs, the Polak/Spaling trade was awful. I said that when the deal happened, I maintained it throughout the Finals run, and I maintain it now.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
So you're saying that Wilson is untouchable now? He should be immune to criticism?

My 'claims' are not baseless, they are based on the fact that Dillon-DeMelo proved they were a better pairing than Dillon-Polak and that Spaling does not have a history of being better than Wingels, whom he replaced.

I've praised Wilson a ton over the past year. He had a wonderful offseason last summer. However, regardless of how far we went in the playoffs, the Polak/Spaling trade was awful. I said that when the deal happened, I maintained it throughout the Finals run, and I maintain it now.

Its easy to point to now, but at the time polak was actually playing really solid back there and we were winning games. There was a risk in throwing in demelo when that bottom pairing was getting the job done.

also against the pens it likely wouldve been similar to hitch throwing out jaskin and pajaarvi and i cant even remember the d man he subbed in. it wouldnt have made the difference imo.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
also against the pens it likely wouldve been similar to hitch throwing out jaskin and pajaarvi and i cant even remember the d man he subbed in. it wouldnt have made the difference imo.

given how many goals dillon-polak were responsible for, i'm not so sure. but it should at least have been tried.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I bet overagers don't bother going unless they're going high for sure and we drafted like 3 overagers.

Gambrell was 100% guaranteed to get drafted.

I can understand Wiederer/Blichfeld (eager to get back home), but I'm pretty sure Shoemaker was also close to a guarantee.

It's just odd seeing the scarce attendance after pretty much everyone was there last year (except the two Latvians, who weren't ranked).

I know Kurz loves doing the day 2 interviews with the prospects. He was probably pretty pissed.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
People are kinda meh on him. There were some guys still left who would be coonsidered higher potential but small and he's a double overager which is weird and makes development kind of testy.

I might be alone in this line of thinking but at 60th overall, there are no guarantees anyway. I just like the pick.

I don't expect him to be much (if anything) more than a 3C-type with some playmaking ability but at 60th overall, the probabilities of finding a top 6 player are obviously more diminished, especially in what I perceive to have been a weaker draft. After trading for Letunov, who is a bit of a project with higher ceiling, this made sense to me.

We aren't that far removed from silly FA contracts for 3rd/4th line centres. I'd much rather bring them through from within (see Tierney, Chris) and see if there's some upside in them as a bonus later...

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Gambrell was 100% guaranteed to get drafted.

I can understand Wiederer/Blichfeld (eager to get back home), but I'm pretty sure Shoemaker was also close to a guarantee.

It's just odd seeing the scarce attendance after pretty much everyone was there last year (except the two Latvians, who weren't ranked).

I know Kurz loves doing the day 2 interviews with the prospects. He was probably pretty pissed.

He wasn't even at the draft.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Untouchable? Did I say that?? Immune??
DeMelo played in the regular season which is less pressure than the playoffs. Spaling vs. Wingels is clutching at straws, and to think you're complaining about depth players.
If you strongly believe that Dylan DeMelo was the difference then I won't continue this with you.
For the record, however you want to bag on our GM, he DID put this team together and this team DID make it to game six of the Stanley Cup Final. I'm overjoyed with that. I could care less about this player or that player.
I waited 25 years for this and people are pointing out this garbage??

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Untouchable? Did I say that?? Immune??
DeMelo played in the regular season which is less pressure than the playoffs. Spaling vs. Wingels is clutching at straws, and to think you're complaining about depth players.
If you strongly believe that Dylan DeMelo was the difference then I won't continue this with you.
For the record, however you want to bag on our GM, he DID put this team together and this team DID make it to game six of the Stanley Cup Final. I'm overjoyed with that. I could care less about this player or that player.
I waited 25 years for this and people are pointing out this garbage??

DW paid the price that was there. Spaling, Polak, Reimer were all good pickups. But because we barely had any injuries, they probably wern't needed. If we didn't pickup Polak and Demelo got injured and we were icing Mueller, would you have been impressed?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Oh well, he'd been passed by practically every wing prospect at this point. Out of curiosity, can undrafted or FA prospects attend a prospect camp with different organizations in the same summer?

Yes.

Also, I just realized that Brayden Burke somehow went undrafted, I think he was pretty easily one of the top overagers in this draft and would love to see him get an invite to SJ's dev camp as well.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yes.

Also, I just realized that Brayden Burke somehow went undrafted, I think he was pretty easily one of the top overagers in this draft and would love to see him get an invite to SJ's dev camp as well.

Interesting, maybe Boudreau will attend the Sharks as well. Was Burke injured for most of his early junior career or just a late bloomer? He didn't play a lot of games in the three seasons prior to this one.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Interesting, maybe Boudreau will attend the Sharks as well. Was Burke injured for most of his early junior career or just a late bloomer? He didn't play a lot of games in the three seasons prior to this one.

He was injured early last season but prior to that he wasn't. The AMHL regular season is only 30 games I think.

He's small so the injury combined with his size likely got him passed up in the 2015 draft but he had an outstanding 2016 season and was a huge reason why Lethbridge had the turn around that they did.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
DW paid the price that was there. Spaling, Polak, Reimer were all good pickups. But because we barely had any injuries, they probably wern't needed. If we didn't pickup Polak and Demelo got injured and we were icing Mueller, would you have been impressed?

I probably would have been almost as impressed by Mueller as I was Polak...

Whatever you think of Polak vs. Demelo individually the Dillon/Demelo pairing was undeniably better than the Dillon/Polak pairing. I also happen to think Demelo is a better player than Polak right now.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
In the Q he worked along side Coyotes prospect Connor Garland. He recorded a point a game pace for the season along side him. Wiederer has great positioning, and vision, and is excellent defensively. He also has a very sneaky fast shot release. I believe Redline report called him one of the best 2-way forwards in the Q. His skating is good imo, and he tries to be physical even though not being the most built. I would like to see how he does next year without Garland, and see if he could a bit bigger. If he develops I can see him as a 3rd line center, someone like Marcus Kruger.

Here is a link to some of his highlights from CKM sports.

Pretty accurate but there is no guarantee that he will be back in Moncton. In the Q you can have 3 20 year olds and 2 imports. He would count as a 20 and an import, thus taking 2 impact player slots. Hope he gets a long look at the AHL.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I was searching for two days and I finally found it (it being the video where Doug called Jarmo three times in 10 minutes asking about a pick :laugh:). I thought this would be relevant given what Brian Burke/David Poile had to say about him.

Backstory is that the Sharks were super high on a player (that eventually got picked before they picked Mueller with Detroit) and Columbus had 3 1st round picks that year. No deal was made and CLB took Wennberg,

Enjoy :laugh:

The clip starts at 7:30.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Pretty accurate but there is no guarantee that he will be back in Moncton. In the Q you can have 3 20 year olds and 2 imports. He would count as a 20 and an import, thus taking 2 impact player slots. Hope he gets a long look at the AHL.

I've read in german news that he will probably be back in Moncton, unless he makes the AHL which is very unlikely.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad