GDT: 2016 NHL Draft

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I was searching for two days and I finally found it (it being the video where Doug called Jarmo three times in 10 minutes asking about a pick :laugh:). I thought this would be relevant given what Brian Burke/David Poile had to say about him.

Backstory is that the Sharks were super high on a player (that eventually got picked before they picked Mueller with Detroit) and Columbus had 3 1st round picks that year. No deal was made and CLB took Wennberg,

Enjoy :laugh:

The clip starts at 7:30.

Great clip. I wonder if the Sharks wanted Mueller all along.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
There needs to be more shows like this. We never get a chance to really see behind the scenes in NHL. They show so much more of it in other sports.

CLB does a few of these every year and Ottawa has done them a few times.

I'd imagine that the media crew wants to, but scouts are generally low profile guys and having a public camera in the room has to be annoying. You'll notice that whenever they talked about someone not named MacKinnon they had to use "this guy" "him" or "the other player". They have to dim their computer screens as well and go to some generic scouting spreadsheets. I can see it being an annoying obstacle.

I can also guarantee you that some of the scouts were fed some of those lines and they had to re-shoot some clips over again.

I know that Vancouver, Boston, and Buffalo have done trade deadline shows before, but they are heavily censored to not show any deals that weren't made that could be seen as lopsided for one party or the other.

The Sharks are a tight-lipped organization. They would never do this.

If you want all-access I suggest checking out the Canucks youtube channel. They do excellent coverage year round of the NHL team and prospects.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/Sports/Hoc...595/Howden-and-Gregor-honoured-to-be-chosen/1

While Howden was always viewed as a high-end talent, Gregor has had some ups and downs on his journey. He was taken in the third round of the WHL draft, but won the Alberta midget AAA scoring title at 15 before breaking his collarbone and missing all but 10 games in his first WHL season. Last year Gregor was the Eastern Conference's nominee for rookie of the year after scoring 28 goals and 73 points in 72 games.

"Looking back I think I have a lot to be proud of," Gregor said. "I missed a whole season of hockey but was still able to have a pretty solid season. To finish it off by getting drafted, it's pretty cool to know all of the work I put into coming back and staying healthy during the season paid off. It's pretty awesome to be rewarded by being drafted."

Gregor said he had a good interview with the Sharks, but was still a little surprised they were the team that ended up taking him. Still, he's very excited to go to the Western Conference champions.

"They told me that they like my game and they see me as a centre. So that's a plus for me. I'll be playing centre next year, so it's nice that they see me as a centreman moving forward," Gregor said. "Obviously they're coming off of a Stanley Cup final run and they seem to be in contention every year which is awesome. They have a lot of skill up front and it seems like a great place to play. I'm excited to be going there. They seem like a good fit."

:D

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The Sharks released their draft video.

One thing Burke said kind of got my attention. "We thought he (Noah Gregor) would be gone in the 40's".

It really makes you wonder where the hell they had Dylan Gambrell on their board to pick him before Gregor...

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Joachim Blichfeld

... has been taken as #85 overall by Portland Winterhawks in the CHL import draft 2016.

I wonder if he is going to NA now (if Winterhawks have room for him?).

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
The Sharks released their draft video.

One thing Burke said kind of got my attention. "We thought he (Noah Gregor) would be gone in the 40's".

It really makes you wonder where the hell they had Dylan Gambrell on their board to pick him before Gregor...

Most likely Gregor was on their radar as someone who would most likely go in the 2nd round, but they liked Gambrell better. And when he was still available in the 4th round, they liked him better than all the guys they had targeted initially. It really looks like a steal on paper, and probably that's why they expected him to go earlier, but we'll see how it turns out. Players don't fall without a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad