Speculation: 2016 NHL Draft

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Junior league scoring numbers don't mean anything. Conor Garland had two 120+ point seasons, where he demolished the league and completely carried his team in the process. He is a 5th round pick, and it's far from a certainty that he'll ever step on the NHL ice.

DeBrincat has always played with exceptional players, he's never been the go-to guy on his team. He's the definition of a long-term high risk pick, I'd rather let someone else take that chance. There is a reason why Johnny Gaudreau was a 4th round pick and Tyler Johnson went undrafted, these guys are extremely rare. For every Tyler Johnson, there are 20 versions of Corey Locke.

Yeah numbers don't mean anything. :facepalm:

mytduxfan*

Yes, junior numbers don't mean anything. Saying that you like a prospect because he had back-to-back 50 goal seasons probably means you're not picking him for the right reasons. We're not picking a guy to play in the OHL, we're picking a guy to play in the NHL, and I don't see AD's skill set transitioning over that well. As others have said, at 5ft 7", you need elite skating skills to make it in the NHL and I don't think AD's got elite skating skills. IMO, those 50 goals come from knowing how to position himself, having a quick release and playing alongside McDavid in 2015 and Dylan Strome in 2016.

So, for a change, how about you stop with the :facepalm: action, put the stat sheet down and actually watch the kid play.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I have watched the kid play...I watched him with McDavid on HS before it went down mainly watching McDavid but he caught my eye as well. Cam Atkinson/Tyler Johnson similarities.

I guarantee I have watched more of this draft class than you.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Kyle Wellwood edged out Jason Spezza for the OHL scoring title in their draft year. Junior stats aren't worthless, but they do not come close to painting an entire picture. Debrincat has undeniable talent, but the concerns about it translating are legitimate. He's high risk high reward.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Kyle Wellwood edged out Jason Spezza for the OHL scoring title in their draft year. Junior stats aren't worthless, but they do not come close to painting an entire picture. Debrincat has undeniable talent, but the concerns about it translating are legitimate. He's high risk high reward.

We are picking at the end of the first round not with a top 5 pick. If we want a safe pick take Asplund if we want to go for it take DeBrincat

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I have watched the kid play...I watched him with McDavid on HS before it went down mainly watching McDavid but he caught my eye as well. Cam Atkinson/Tyler Johnson similarities.

I guarantee I have watched more of this draft class than you.

Not saying you are wrong, but guaranteeing something about someone you know nothing about makes you look incredibly pretentious.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I watch too much junior/international hockey especially when its the off season and I work in an office by myself and torrets are available. I can guarantee I 90% watch more than most on here doesn't mean my evaluations are not better just saying because he assumed I haven't seen him play when I watched almost every game McDavid played in juniors.

Anyways there are about 3-4 good choices at our spot hopefully we make the right one.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Etem scored 45 and then 61 in back to back WHL seasons, where defense is the name of the game. I worry about DeBrincat only on size, its not often that these guys make it anywhere, although we could really use that type of speed and skill in our organization.

Etem was just a man playing with boys.

DeBrincat uses IQ you know something Etem has 0 of.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We are picking at the end of the first round not with a top 5 pick. If we want a safe pick take Asplund if we want to go for it take DeBrincat

There are plenty of interesting options likely available in our range that offer varying levels of upside and risk. Debrincat and Asplund are just two options. I'm not saying the safe or risky route is better, just pointing out that Debrincat lighting it up in Erie doesn't erase the question marks about his game translating. I have a feeling he's a polarizing name amongst scouts and we may never know our management's take on him.

mytduxfan*

It's a good point. Tbh, I'd take DeBrincat over Asplund for the reasoning you've given. Asplund just seems so safe. DeBrincat is boom or bust.

Not saying you are wrong, but guaranteeing something about someone you know nothing about makes you look incredibly pretentious.

It was the :facepalm: I found to be unnecessary. Opak's point is entirely valid.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

This site has DeBrincat not even available.

I don't rate this mock draft. I mean Dubois drops to 6th OA and Keller is out side the top 10... now come on. IMO, Dubois goes 5th at the latest (if EDM decides to pick and goes for D) and Keller goes ahead of Logan Brown (and probably Nylander too).

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Now there's your problem.

His scouting report his perfect.

"At some point, you have to stop believing that DeBrincat has “lucked out†with his linemates and accept that there’s a reason coaches always stick him with top guys. The 5-foot-7 sniper has played with Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Auston Matthews and it’s because he can find space, wire the puck and thrive with elite players – not everyone can. DeBrincat is well on his way to another 50-goal season and the 2016 draft prospect is doing so with an entirely different type of center."

mytduxfan*

His scouting report his perfect.

"At some point, you have to stop believing that DeBrincat has “lucked out†with his linemates and accept that there’s a reason coaches always stick him with top guys. The 5-foot-7 sniper has played with Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Auston Matthews and it’s because he can find space, wire the puck and thrive with elite players – not everyone can. DeBrincat is well on his way to another 50-goal season and the 2016 draft prospect is doing so with an entirely different type of center."

Scouting reports don't really carry much weight when you have no idea who wrote them.

Debrincat did play with Matthews and Tkachuk in the WJC and was quickly replaced by Colin White after posting 1 goal in 5 games. I'm not saying the kid will be a bust, but he's a really risky pick and you seem to be blindly ignoring that.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Scouting reports don't really carry much weight when you have no idea who wrote them.

Debrincat did play with Matthews and Tkachuk in the WJC and was quickly replaced by Colin White after posting 1 goal in 5 games. I'm not saying the kid will be a bust, but he's a really risky pick and you seem to be blindly ignoring that.

He is but we are picking 30th not top 10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad