Speculation: 2016 NHL Draft

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
God, I really hope Kunin drops. That kid has great all around ability and is scrappy.

Based on what was available, I'd have taken Tage Thompson over Tufte. I'd be concerned that Tufte is just a product of being a big guy in an undersized league. The kid is 6ft 5" and 212lbs playing in a high school league (USHS). I watched his highlights and he's got some good passing skills and is a good skater for a kid of his size, but I wouldn't say I was impressed by anything else really. Thompson is a little older then most in the draft, but his highlights show he's got a good slapper, some deft hands and is willing to drive the line. IMO, the only reason he's so low on the draft is because most of his goals were on the PP.

With 30th I take Brett Howden over DeBrincat. AD's size obviously concerns me because you're committing to a guy that will only ever become a goal-scoring W. Having said that, I wasn't that impressed with the goals he's scored this year. A lot of flinging it to the net and hoping it goes in. Not the sign of a truly skilled player IMO. Howden is solid enough. He's great around the net and is strong on his skates.

I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on a GT personally. Lots of good kids. In an ideal world, I'd take Kunin with 24th OA and then Thompson with 30th. Then look for a GT in the 3rd round. We shall see I guess.

I agree on Tufte, I can perfectly understand the intrigue but I can't say I was personally all that impressed with him.

Howden strikes me as a bit of a 'vanilla' pick. I really like Pascal Laberge in that range.

mytduxfan*

I agree on Tufte, I can perfectly understand the intrigue but I can't say I was personally all that impressed with him.

Howden strikes me as a bit of a 'vanilla' pick. I really like Pascal Laberge in that range.

I think most the guys down there are "vanilla" picks tbh. Like I said, Kunin and Thompson would be my ideal picks. I wouldn't class either of them as "vanilla" personally.

I'm just not high on Asplund. He just seems like a secure pick i.e. you know what you're going to get, he'll be good, but he'll never be great. I think Kunin has the potential to be great from what I've seen. That kid looks like a real competitor. Meanwhile, Thompson is a riskier pick. I think his skating needs work. He looks very slow out there. He also needs to get stronger, but that will come with time. IMO, I could see him being either a good 2nd line winger or a career AHLer.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I was interested in Thompson but the more I read about him, the less excited I got. Seems that only thing he's got going for him is size, nothing else seems impressive about this guy.

mytduxfan*

I was interested in Thompson but the more I read about him, the less excited I got. Seems that only thing he's got going for him is size, nothing else seems impressive about this guy.

He's got a great slapper. What reading did you do?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Seems like a perimeter guy to me, but maybe he fills out his frame and starts to use it better.

I think most the guys down there are "vanilla" picks tbh. Like I said, Kunin and Thompson would be my ideal picks. I wouldn't class either of them as "vanilla" personally.

I'm just not high on Asplund. He just seems like a secure pick i.e. you know what you're going to get, he'll be good, but he'll never be great. I think Kunin has the potential to be great from what I've seen. That kid looks like a real competitor. Meanwhile, Thompson is a riskier pick. I think his skating needs work. He looks very slow out there. He also needs to get stronger, but that will come with time. IMO, I could see him being either a good 2nd line winger or a career AHLer.

Always tough to weigh upside versus risk. I guess that's what I like about Laberge, he shows legitimate top 6 offensive upside yet also brings grit, speed and decent size to the table, suggesting a fairly high floor.

mytduxfan*

Seems like a perimeter guy to me, but maybe he fills out his frame and starts to use it better.

Always tough to weigh upside versus risk. I guess that's what I like about Laberge, he shows legitimate top 6 offensive upside yet also brings grit, speed and decent size to the table, suggesting a fairly high floor.

I could get on board with Laberge.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

he is a bit of a risk...only one ES goal all year...

mytduxfan*

No. If you watch debrincat video I posted all his goals are in dirty areas or in the middle of the ice it's not all finesse

Yeah, it's all just flinging it towards the net and hoping it goes in. That isn't going to cut it against top quality netminding in the NHL.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It somehow worked over 100 times in 2 seasons

Junior league scoring numbers don't mean anything. Conor Garland had two 120+ point seasons, where he demolished the league and completely carried his team in the process. He is a 5th round pick, and it's far from a certainty that he'll ever step on the NHL ice.

DeBrincat has always played with exceptional players, he's never been the go-to guy on his team. He's the definition of a long-term high risk pick, I'd rather let someone else take that chance. There is a reason why Johnny Gaudreau was a 4th round pick and Tyler Johnson went undrafted, these guys are extremely rare. For every Tyler Johnson, there are 20 versions of Corey Locke.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Etem scored 45 and then 61 in back to back WHL seasons, where defense is the name of the game. I worry about DeBrincat only on size, its not often that these guys make it anywhere, although we could really use that type of speed and skill in our organization.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Junior league scoring numbers don't mean anything. Conor Garland had two 120+ point seasons, where he demolished the league and completely carried his team in the process. He is a 5th round pick, and it's far from a certainty that he'll ever step on the NHL ice.

DeBrincat has always played with exceptional players, he's never been the go-to guy on his team. He's the definition of a long-term high risk pick, I'd rather let someone else take that chance. There is a reason why Johnny Gaudreau was a 4th round pick and Tyler Johnson went undrafted, these guys are extremely rare. For every Tyler Johnson, there are 20 versions of Corey Locke.

You mean to say they don't mean everything. Not that they mean absolutely and utterly nothing at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad