2016 NHL Draft - The Shark Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Like Coach Parker is saying, yes there's a big difference in skill in those two leagues, but Fabbro isn't playing junior B because he's not good enough, but because he can't play major junior and the NCAA after. Would he be aiming at a 100 pts season in a full WHL season? Of course not. Yes is stat are inflated but those stat are still really good and with his overall play a dmen doesn't have to be point machine in junior to be selected 1st round. A 45-50 pts season in the WHL would be enough. Almost a decade ago, Kyle Turris got drafted 3rd overall out of the same BCHL and he did turn out allright even if it tooks him a little bit more time to developp. BCHL guys are more of a project than CHL guys, but they're still far less then High School guys and some of those are taken 1st or 2nd round each years.

And like Coach's said, Fabbro was really good at the Ivan Hlinka last august, so he is proven against is age best players.

Edit: The guy is 4th in PPG in the entire BCHL, that's a dominating performance for a defensmen who can play in his own end.

Great post about the BCHL and it's talent level. Hell, Boston took Heinen right from them last year and he is doing well in Denver!

I can't wait for the next International tournament for Fabbro and Jost to step up.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Duncan Keith played for Penicton in his draft year before going to Michigan State and posted 18 goals, 64 assists and 82 points in 60 games. Fabbro has 13 goals,
46 assists for 59 points in 38 games. Not sure how talented Keith's Penicton team was in comparison, much more to being a compete d-man like Keith, points don't always transfer, etc but it gives a little perspective that he is scoring at a better pace. By no means does that mean he will be as successful as Keith but the production is impressive even for the BCHL level

No he didn't, he was drafted out the NCAA then went to the WHL the following year.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Okay, so after reading up on Kirk and the great posters on the prospect thread it sounds like the Bruins forward prospects are doing extremely well and will be fighting for spots next spring.

DeBrusk
Senyshyn
Gabrielle
Heinen
Kuraly
JFK

...are all having strong seasons with another tier progressing as well.

On the back end, Carlo, Lauzon, Morrow, Miller and Zboril are the future top prospects with guys like O'Gara showing Providence promise.

Our forward prospect pool is so stacked that it puts the Bruins rankings in the top five in the NHL but that back end has it's best talent already in Boston (Morrow and Miller) trying to learn the game.

I think it's relatively safe to say that right now it's the top three in this years draft that project to be ready to play in the NHL with the rest joining the prospect pools of each franchise and returning to europe, CHL or NCAA.

Does that sound about right to most?

Not quite sure why O'Gara has "Providence promise". He'll be skating a regular shift in the NHL before most of the others. Kid is big, a strong defender, and an exceptional skater.

William Nylander*

Well, Vancouver's #1 D Edler is out for 6 weeks, so pretty much guaranteed now that San Jose gets a playoff spot. (Jinx???)

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Yeah, this is no longer fun....stupid Sharks. either way, still got good value for Jones even if the pick ends up top 20. Maybe we use it to acquire a solid Dman - who knows. Still, having 2 picks top 20ish in the upcoming draft is good for the organization.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Let's take the board's temperature again. If the draft were held today, the Bruins would pick 17th and 21st.

These are the top 16 players as ranked by ISS:

1. Austin Matthews
2. Jesse Puljujarvi
3. Matt Tkachuk
4. Patrik Laine
5. Jakob Chychrun
6. Michael McLeod
7. Alex Nylander
8. Max Jones
9. Mikhail Sergachev
10. Olli Juolevi
11. German Rubtsov
12. Logan Brown
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois
14. Tyson Jost
15. Clayton Keller
16. Julien Gauthier

Assume those are the first 16 players off the board. Give me your pick at #17 and a player that you'd be targeting at #21.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
Let's take the board's temperature again. If the draft were held today, the Bruins would pick 17th and 21st.

1. Austin Matthews
2. Jesse Puljujarvi
3. Matt Tkachuk
4. Patrik Laine
5. Jakob Chychrun
6. Michael McLeod
7. Alex Nylander
8. Max Jones
9. Mikhail Sergachev
10. Olli Juolevi
11. German Rubtsov
12. Logan Brown
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois
14. Tyson Jost
15. Clayton Keller
16. Julien Gauthier

Assume those are the first 16 players off the board. Give me your pick at #17 and a player that you'd be targeting at #21.

Gimme Fabbro at 17 and Mcavoy at 21. Need to stockpile those RHDs and hope one is a home run.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
No he didn't, he was drafted out the NCAA then went to the WHL the following year.

Yep..point production was pretty good in Penticton but his point per game went down in Kelowna 2 years later...after 2 more years of development...

Again , not saying he won't be successful but the numbers are inflated against this competition...I'm interested to see what he does in the playoffs coming up vs better competition once the Vees get past the first couple of rounds....

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

1. Austin Matthews
2. Jesse Puljujarvi
3. Matt Tkachuk
4. Patrik Laine
5. Jakob Chychrun
6. Michael McLeod
7. Alex Nylander
8. Max Jones
9. Mikhail Sergachev
10. Olli Juolevi
11. German Rubtsov
12. Logan Brown
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois
14. Tyson Jost
15. Clayton Keller
16. Julien Gauthier

Bellows and Fabbro or McAvoy for me.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

1. Austin Matthews
2. Jesse Puljujarvi
3. Matt Tkachuk
4. Patrik Laine
5. Jakob Chychrun
6. Michael McLeod
7. Alex Nylander
8. Max Jones
9. Mikhail Sergachev
10. Olli Juolevi
11. German Rubtsov
12. Logan Brown
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois
14. Tyson Jost
15. Clayton Keller
16. Julien Gauthier

Bellows and McAvoy no doubt. Not sure they will both be available but i can live with Bellows and Fabbro as well.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007

1. Austin Matthews
2. Jesse Puljujarvi
3. Matt Tkachuk
4. Patrik Laine
5. Jakob Chychrun
6. Michael McLeod
7. Alex Nylander
8. Max Jones
9. Mikhail Sergachev
10. Olli Juolevi
11. German Rubtsov
12. Logan Brown
13. Pierre-Luc Dubois
14. Tyson Jost
15. Clayton Keller
16. Julien Gauthier

If these rankings reflected how things played out then I am doing what I can do to get up four spots and take Dubois. I would rank him as high as #5. That being said I would go with Bellows/Fabbro at #16 and the other if still available or McAvoy or Laberge at 21

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Good OHL info from Dom & co that was posted on the prospects board. Confirms a lot of what I mentioned hearing regarding Logan Brown a couple of pages back. Nevermind our back end needs or that we would need to trade up but the idea of watching McLeod and Shenyshyn skating together on a line someday is tantalizing.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/02/midseason-mediascout-top-10-for-2016.html

Probably a natural progression of learning about more and more of these kids but while the draft seems to have a nice top 18-19 and then a dip, I like what I am reading about on some of these kids currently slated in 30-50 range...the Mascherin, Johannsen, Bitten, Katchouk, Green and Dineen types. Seems like there is a pick your flavor, leveling off overall between 20-50 with a few exceptions sprinkled in.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So San Jose is basically the same exact team as us, huh?

identical struggles at home, solid nucleus, streaky

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Gimme Fabbro at 17 and Mcavoy at 21. Need to stockpile those RHDs and hope one is a home run.

Exact same as Burt here. Fabbro at the start of the year was my hope with the Bruins pick (assuming the Bruins pick was top 10, and now that he is moving down the chart to match the Bruins pick I am very happy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Draft is not deep but the OHL is. Dom should have some good stuff before the draft. I know some of the guys he likes but it will be interesting when the Memorial Cup is over what he thinks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Poster said on the Toronto draft thread that McLeod is done for the season?
Wondering how much that will drop him.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I have only seen Dom mention Cam Dineen a few times, but I hardly see him mentioned in the mock drafts I've seen around the web, granted they might be dated. He's putting up some good numbers: GP52 G12 A37 TP49 with the North Bay Battalion in the OHL. Where do we all see Cam Dineen being drafted? Could he be someone the Bruins might pick later in the draft?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hate the stupid Sharks for ruining our season.

oh well at least Sweeney has shown the ability to do pretty well with off the board picks.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I have only seen Dom mention Cam Dineen a few times, but I hardly see him mentioned in the mock drafts I've seen around the web, granted they might be dated. He's putting up some good numbers: GP52 G12 A37 TP49 with the North Bay Battalion in the OHL. Where do we all see Cam Dineen being drafted? Could he be someone the Bruins might pick later in the draft?

Certainly an option for the middle of the 2nd round but if his stock continues to rise he may end up going in the 31-41 range.

Solid defensemen though, great vision, good stick position and decent enough in his own end. A lot to like about him for a 2nd round pick.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Not a Bruins fan, but thought I'd pass this along.

He has a thread in the prospects section and people were raving about his goal totals for the division of HS he plays in...guess it's very rare to see 30 goals in a season and he's in the mid 40's. Of course you have to consider his sheer size against HS kids....even in one of the most competitive HS leagues. He's mostly been ranked in the 17-25 range but I guess he'll be joining the USHL once his season ends and that figures to provide an opportunity for scouts to get a better read on him.

Edit: he played 12 games in the USHL before his HS season started and had 5 goals and an assist. Not a banger but skilled and a good skater at 6'5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad