2016 NHL Draft - The Shark Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Definitely keen on Fabbro. I would love them to use that other first if they still have it on Logan Brown, ive said it in this thread before. Hes gonna be reaaaaaal good. 6'6 C with hands softer than Kleenex. I doubt he will fall but if Dineen is there in the 2nd then take him without hesitation. I think someone will reach for him in the first though.

I like where your head is at with those picks. :thumbu:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Looking forward to watching the Sharks sink like a lead balloon in this second half. It's going to happen.

i don't see any of those teams in the pacific being able to overtake them for a playoff spot. the kings and ducks will get in. then it's the sharks and a bunch of crap teams. arizona playing way above their heads. vancouver is trying to rebuild on the fly. the oilers are buried and flames look like garbage.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Looking forward to watching the Sharks sink like a lead balloon in this second half. It's going to happen.

Hopefully February proves to be a tough month for the Sharks. They've got 13 games left and 9 are road games. Their next 3 games are in St. Louis, Nashville and Chicago so they might not get any points there. :handclap:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
same could be said for our boys too;)

Was actually going to say I woulsnt mind if Loui is traded early, and anyone else (Seids but I doubt it) and just top it up with kids. Blood the new kids, fall in the atabdings, have a strong draft and Free Agency, come back healthy and ready next year. Current crop wont get it done, its not exactly tanking either.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
So I've noticed quite a few, not so many here, saying that Chychrun has the potential to be a bust. I feel like this post is a solid insight to him and some other prospects. Seems to also be a good look at the Sarnia Sting's changes the past few years.

Derian Hatcher has a specific idea of how he wants his team to play. Chychrun has bought into that mindset really well.

It used to be that Sarnia was the epitome of a "junior-style" team, where offensive players cheated for pucks and the biggest talents had free reins to play however they wanted, as long as they scored. It was one of the biggest reasons why NHL teams didn't take to the Sting program as well as they did to other franchises, despite some big-name prospects coming through their system in recent years like Stamkos, Yakupov, and Galchenyuk.

It's one of the reasons why Pavel Zacha wasn't putting up big numbers last season, IMO. He's a smarter player than people give him credit for, but when his teammates are roaming around wildly and with no structure, it's hard to develop chemistry with them, forcing him to play a style that doesn't suit him. He's not like the aforementioned 3 in that he doesn't have the kind of skating burst that allows him to go out and score despite his team, he is at his best in a system that allows for a strong cycle game and controlled offensive zone time. Which the Sting have never really had.

Hatcher was brought in this year to change that, and so far it's worked wonders because the team is far more competitive as a whole, and a lot more balanced down the roster. Chychrun's game is different from last year where he could go out and do whatever he wanted, it's a lot more controlled and structured. He has the talent to play a run-and-gun game but Hatcher was a defense-first player and if you want ice time as a defenseman under him, you'd better make sure to protect your own turf first.

Chychrun was never going to look like Sergachev or Juolevi under Hatcher because the other two play in a more open system and have more of a green light to take chances, but I think his transition to the NHL is going to be easier. He's shown he can be a force, but also that he can play a safe, reliable game. That'll help get him minutes in the NHL.

I think he still has number 1 upside, he hasn't shown me anything to suggest that he can't play 22+ minutes in the NHL one day. He's the best defenseman on the Sting, and the go-to guy in all situations. He still has an amazing ability to move the puck up the ice. Doesn't have any major weaknesses, besides the fact that his current production isn't matching up to his talent level.

If guys like Ekblad and Chychrun were only dominating with physical ability, I would be worried. But these guys are elite junior defensemen while playing a more cerebral game than most people expect out of a big player. They have the ability to assert their physicality but they just don't need to most of the time because they're smart and have an excellent grasp of the fundamentals. The physical aspect is a secondary fallback, which suggest they won't be struggling with bigger players when they DO need to use their bodies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
lSS Top 30 for January

Rank Player Position Team League
1 Matthews, Auston RW Zurich ZSC SuiA
2 Puljujarvi, Jesse RW Karpat FinE
3 Tkachuk, Matthew LW London OHL
4 Laine, Patrik RW Tappara FinE
5 Chychrun, Jakob LD Sarnia OHL
6 McLeod, Michael C Mississauga OHL
7 Nylander, Alexander RW Mississauga OHL
8 Jones, Max LW London OHL
9 Sergachev, Mikhail RD Windsor OHL
10 Juolevi, Olli LD London OHL
11 Rubtsov, German C Russia MHL 98 RusJr
12 Brown, Logan C Windsor OHL
13 Dubois, Pierre-Luc LW Cape Breton QMJHL
14 Jost, Tyson RW Penticton BCHL
15 Keller, Clayton C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
16 Gauthier, Julien RW Val-d'Or QMJHL
17 Bellows, Kieffer C USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
18 Kunin, Luke RW Wisconsin BigTen
19 McAvoy, Charles RD Boston Univ H.E.
20 Fabbro, Dante RD Penticton BCHL
21 Bean, Jake LD Calgary WHL
22 Tufte, Riley LW Blaine MN-HS
23 Krys, Chad LD USA Under-18 NTDP USHL
24 Bastian, Nathan C Mississauga OHL
25 Mattson, Mitchell C Grand Rapids MN-HS
26 Knierim, William RW Dubuque USHL
27 Stanley, Logan LD Windsor OHL
28 Asplund, Rasmus C Farjestad SweJE
29 Laberge, Pascal C Victoriaville QMJHL
30 Hajek, Libor LD Saskatoon WHL

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Looks pretty good all the way up to 20, although I'd take out Logan Brown, so really 19 high end picks available. Assuming some teams go off the board (and not us for once), I think at least one of those 19 will be available through pick 23 or so. So two picks in the top 23 nets two of them.

Like, say, Bellows and McAvoy. Yes, please.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Interesting. I think Jones and Brown are a little too high, Fabbro, Sergachev, Gauthier and Juolevi too low but no list is ever the same.

That said, if that's the way it falls and the Bruins are picking anywhere for 15-25 with their two pick, the names in bold are the ones that interest me.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Looks pretty good all the way up to 20, although I'd take out Logan Brown, so really 19 high end picks available. Assuming some teams go off the board (and not us for once), I think at least one of those 19 will be available through pick 23 or so. So two picks in the top 23 nets two of them.

Like, say, Bellows and McAvoy. Yes, please.

Agree on Brown...just get a Colborne vibe from him. Big but not physical, skilled but not engaged. A lot of posters who have seen him live say he's just not that noticeable over the course of the game and a guy that size with pretty good wheels against 16-20 year old's.... Don't hate the player but definitely more in the 20-30 range for me.

I think Dubois is a little low still...I think he should be in the 7-9 range. I like both McLeod and Max Jones but think Dubois may have the highest ceiling out of that trio. I may like him more then Tkachuk as well.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
i don't see any of those teams in the pacific being able to overtake them for a playoff spot. the kings and ducks will get in. then it's the sharks and a bunch of crap teams. arizona playing way above their heads. vancouver is trying to rebuild on the fly. the oilers are buried and flames look like garbage.

Stay positive! Keep calm and tank, Sharks :handclap:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/14711190/top-30-nhl-draft-prospects-midseason-update-nhl

Pronman:
1. Auston Matthews - C, Zurich (NLA)
2. Patrick Laine - LW, Tampere (Liiga)
3. Jesse Puljujarvi - RW, Karpat (Liiga)
4. Clayton Keller - C, USNTDP (USHL) (Who? He hasn't been mentioned in this altitude in most rankings)
5. Matthew Tkachuk - LW, London (OHL)
6. Alexander Nylander - RW, Mississaugua (OHL)
7. Jakob Chychrun - D, Sarnia (OHL)
8. Olli Juolevi - D, London (OHL)
9. Pierre-Luc Dubois - LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
10. Dante Fabbro - D, Penticton (BCHL)

Other Notables: McLeod 11, DeBrincat 12, Gauthier 17, Sergachev22

This is a weird looking list, but would be absolutely fine by me, could leave the draft with Gauthier+Serg :)

I'd say it's looking like San Jose pick will be in the 15-20 range, 1st round against Anaheim most likely and I believe in Anaheims chances over them.

Also some have been saying Fabbros skating isn't that great, can someone comment on that who have seen him play?

daleand

Aug 2, 2005
Trail,BC
I've seen Dante Fabro play 3 times this year and there is no problem with his skating. If the Bruins end up with him we would be happy.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(...)

I'd say it's looking like San Jose pick will be in the 15-20 range, 1st round against Anaheim most likely and I believe in Anaheims chances over them. (...)

A 1st-round win would not change their draft position.

A 2nd-round win would.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I got to see Johansen last year on the NHL network in a few playoff and/or Memorial Cup games and I was very impressed by him, especially given his age. If he has continued to improve, I wouldn't mind the B's taking a shot on him. Also, didn't realize he was Ryan's brother until today :laugh:

Yeah. He was already good in minor hockey and now is in the best organization in junior hockey for developing defensemen. He's logging big minutes and really under the radar right now as far as the draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid is back. That 2nd is realistic now given the terrible Pacific division.

Anaheim has been very impressive for the last 2 months and are still without Fowler, their defense is one of the better ones in the NHL.
I'd rather see Anaheim-San Jose playoff series than San Jose-Edmonton for our San Jose pick.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Interesting. I think Jones and Brown are a little too high, Fabbro, Sergachev, Gauthier and Juolevi too low but no list is ever the same.

That said, if that's the way it falls and the Bruins are picking anywhere for 15-25 with their two pick, the names in bold are the ones that interest me.

Agreed. I truly believe two factors alone are the only reason why we are getting a jackpot with Fabbro right now dropping:

1. He wasn't on this years WJC Canada team. They rarely take draft eligible defensemen preferring to take more established and older defensemen.

2. He isn't playing in the WHL/OHL. Ever since Bantam everyone who knew him knew he was going NCAA and wasn't going to play in the WHL. HE was drafted 1st round anyways and now has committed to BU.

It isn't his poor play or decline that has him dropping but rather other scouts watching the others more and propping them up.

If he played for Seattle this year he is still top five. I hope this is the beginning of more players (like Matthews) trying europe or the BCHL in hopes of doing NCAA if they aren't going right to the NHL.

Simple context to show how dominant he is right now in the BCHL:

37 games played. 11 goals and 46 assists for 57 points in those 37 games.

DANTE FABBRO:

Dante Fabbro is a dependable two-way defenseman with high offensive upside. He plays with poise and makes mature, high-percentage decisions under pressure. In his own end, he is proactive with both his body and stick, and does everything right to interrupt passing lanes and win back possession. With the puck on his stick, he is mobile at an elite level and can direct plays like a quarterback. He possesses a hard and accurate release on his shot, that he gets off quickly and on-net. All-in-all, a complete defenseman that plays a refined game at both ends of the ice.

This isn't a offensive defenseman alone. This is using a pick on a potential #1 defenseman who is elite at all aspects of the game.

Draft him with either pick and then watch him excel at next years WJC's and then watch him excel at BU.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/14711190/top-30-nhl-draft-prospects-midseason-update-nhl

Pronman:

This is a weird looking list, but would be absolutely fine by me, could leave the draft with Gauthier+Serg :)

I'd say it's looking like San Jose pick will be in the 15-20 range, 1st round against Anaheim most likely and I believe in Anaheims chances over them.

Also some have been saying Fabbros skating isn't that great, can someone comment on that who have seen him play?

I can. His skating is great but it sometimes looks like he isn't skating fast because he gets into the lanes early while reading the play. It can sometimes look like he is slower during the play because he is in the right position early. I've seen him beat Barzal, Jost, Harkins, Ronning (easily) in races straight up and also for the puck.

People also comment on Johansen's speed and Fabbro has always been a step ahead of him in every facet including speed.

And the shot...:

Yes, that's him jumping up in the play with speed to add into the attack.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Pronman:

What's funny is seeing the different rankings that still have him in the top 10 while others have him dropping to the Bruins range.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
San Jose's record is totally padded with a ridiculously easy January schedule.

They're actually going to play some real teams this month. They will not do well, because they're mediocre.

I expect them to end February outside of a wildcard spot.

Tonight they're getting shelled because they're playing an actual good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad