2016 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Chychrun should go around #4 or 5 IMHO, depending on where Edmonton selects. If they're outside the top 3 picks he'll be an Oiler.

Dubois has an outside shot. I don't think he'll go over Tkachuk.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Chychrun could challenge.

If Hull can be considered American, Chychrun can be considered Canadian.

But it's always claimed that Bret isn't "really American" cuz he only played for USA cuz he got cut for Canada or something so we aren't allowed to claim him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And galchenyuk is as American as apple pie and childhood obesity.
I'd say its slightly different, Galchenyuk was born to Belerussians in America, but raised in Russia since the age of 4 and only came back for a year at 15. Chychrun was born to Canadians in America and has lived in Canada since 14 or 15. For many reasons he could identify as either. Brett Hull was a bit different, he was born to a Canadian legend and raised in Canada til 18. Now he could easily identify as American but he's on the record as being Canadian who represented the USA because they gave him a chance, Chychrun could easily choose between Canada or the USA at the youth level, he's chosen Canada.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
His dad's Canadian, so I'm assuming he's had dual citizenship all along.

He attempted to play for USA first, but the USHL wouldn't grant him an "exceptional status" type deal to allow him to play in the league early. The duel citizenship thing was a back pocket bargaining ploy, and when he couldn't get what he wanted out of USA Hockey he took his services to the next in line.

Basically, a reverse Brett Hull.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I will never ever understand the love for Dubois on this forum. He is not a top prospect at all. Should not be even considered as a Top 10 pick.

what.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He attempted to play for USA first, but the USHL wouldn't grant him an "exceptional status" type deal to allow him to play in the league early. The duel citizenship thing was a back pocket bargaining ploy, and when he couldn't get what he wanted out of USA Hockey he took his services to the next in line.

Basically, a reverse Brett Hull.
He attempted to play in the USHL at 15, that doesn't mean he intended to play for the USNDP or national team. For example D'Angelo played USHL at 15 (major reason for the rule change) and still went the OHL route.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Chychrun will likely play for Canada next year at the world juniors. I'll chalk that up as score one for the red and white.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Chychrun is American. But yeah, Dubois will.
Nylander isn't Canadian and neither is Chychrun American.

The US get enough Canadian's born on American soil, good to see he actually acknowledges his roots.

Brian Bellows son. Brent Thompson's son; to name a couple more potential 1st rounders.

American's should be happy they have a lot of NHL teams for Canadians to have their kids in. Let us have this one!

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Nylander isn't Canadian and neither is Chychrun American.

The US get enough Canadian's born on American soil, good to see he actually acknowledges his roots.

You realize people can have/identify with more than one background/nationality/ethnicity/etc right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not inferring, I'm telling you what happened based on reports at the time.
All that was reported is he was refused a waiver to play, he was never a lock for the USNDP if it happened. That may of hurt the chances of him playing for the USNDP, but he still easily could have gone the CHL route. It was speculated on, it has not been confirmed anywhere.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
You realize people can have/identify with more than one background/nationality/ethnicity/etc right?

:laugh: Ya.
Not what I was getting at, at all though.

Americans seem overboard with 'where they were born' - Chychrun recognizes as Canadian and Nylander as Swedish, in terms of hockey.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Yes and he has relatives here in Canada and spends time here.

It's normal for a child to live in the family home even if his Canadian dad is a professional hockey player. Why couldn't or wouldn't he be brought up as a Canadian.

mayfield7

Jan 19, 2016
To me Chychrun counts as a Canadian. His Canadian heritage is no doubt responsible for him playing hockey. His years that have developed him into a top end NHL prospect have been spent in Canada's top developmental league. He identifies as Canadian internationally, and I'm fine with that. We have seen it go the other way, and I've been fine with that too.

But if we aren't counting duel citizens, I would say it's 50/50 a Canadian goes top 5. 100% if Chychrun counts. One of Chychrun or Dubois definitely goes top 5.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:laugh: Ya.
Not what I was getting at, at all though.

Americans seem overboard with 'where they were born' - Chychrun recognizes as Canadian and Nylander as Swedish, in terms of hockey.

Chychrun is Canadian-American, so he is both. He obviously identifies more as Canadian, at least as evidenced by wanting to represent Team Canada, which is great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that he's also American, so to say "he's not American" is just wrong. You can say he's Canadian without having to say he's not American. Also, putting it as 'where they were born' is a massive minimization. He was raised and developed in America, not just born there. I don't say this because I care as an American to claim Chychrun as an American, because I don't... like, at all. It's just a basic fact of reality that he is a Canadian-American, not simply a Canadian (thus not American).

Yes and he has relatives here in Canada and spends time here.

It's normal for a child to live in the family home even if his Canadian dad is a professional hockey player. Why couldn't or wouldn't he be brought up as a Canadian.

Where did I say otherwise? I don't understand how you can take my comment however you took it. It's no different from a Korean immigrant being brought up "as a Korean" or "as an American". That person is a Korean-American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad