Olympics: 2016 Men's Olympic Qualification (Feb. 11-14)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Croatian roster

Goalies :

Tomljenović Mate ((JHK GKS JASTRZEBIE)
Ružić Ivan (MedveÅ¡čak)
Filipec Tihomir (Zagreb)
Å timac - Rojtinić Ivan (Mladost)

Defence :

Ljubić Marko (Mladost)
Sertić Mario (MedveÅ¡čak)
Senzel Nikola (MedveÅ¡čak)
PleÅ¡ko Martin (MedveÅ¡čak)
Tadić Marko (MedveÅ¡čak)
Smolec Jan (Mladost)
Kegalj Bruno (Zagreb)
Puzić Ivan (HC Vitkovice)
Å ilović Borna (Slavija Ljubljana)

Forwards:

Mirić Tadija (Mladost)
Novak Mario (Mladost)
Mikulić Luka (MedveÅ¡čak)
Brenčun Ivan (MedveÅ¡čak)
Janković Ivan (MedveÅ¡čak)
Miličić Matija (MedveÅ¡čak)
Blagus Mislav (Zagreb)
Gjoni Fran (Zagreb)
Jarčov Luka (Zagreb)
Kaleb Ivo (Zagreb)
Å akić Marko (Slavija Ljubljana)
Kanaet Dominik (HC Detva)

Please, no double digit losses:help::help:

Is Kenny MacAulay done with the National Team?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I have no idea on how good the teams are but I am surprised with how well Japan is doing.

Ukraine, even though not a major hockey country, has some very talented players and even had a team to play in Kontinental Hockey League. Japan is looking on par with them at the moment. Though, as I said, I am not sure if UKR has the best available squad for this tournament. Probably not.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I have no idea on how good the teams are but I am surprised with how well Japan is doing.

Ukraine, even though not a major hockey country, has some very talented players and even had a team to play in Kontinental Hockey League. Japan is looking on par with them at the moment. Though, as I said, I am not sure if UKR has the best available squad for this tournament. Probably not.

Yeah, they are missing nearly all of their top players. It was also the case in the Division 1 A tournament last year which is why they were relegated.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Japan defeats Ukraine and goes on to the final round of qualification in September, which was to be expected.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Time to lobby the IIHF for a new rule: if two teams play to a scoreless tie in a game that determines a tournament winner, both teams are disqualified and banned from tournaments forever.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Poland wins on shootouts, a great achievement.

Exciting game. Well, maybe not for most people, but for me it was. They were really able to keep up with the Hungarians and won it on a beautiful shootout attempt by Krzysztof Zapala.
They're obviously very far from being a very good team but it's nice to see them progressing.

The last few years have been very good for Polish hockey. Let's hope they can keep it up and finally develop some elite talents. Would be a great start and spark if Lyszczarczyk gets picked in the upcoming NHL draft.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Exciting game. Well, maybe not for most people, but for me it was. They were really able to keep up with the Hungarians and won it on a beautiful shootout attempt by Krzysztof Zapala.
They're obviously very far from being a very good team but it's nice to see them progressing.

The last few years have been very good for Polish hockey. Let's hope they can keep it up and finally develop some elite talents. Would be a great start and spark if Lyszczarczyk gets picked in the upcoming NHL draft.

Poland has certainly been on a bit of an upswing considering they were stuck in the B group of Division I for years until last year. Hopefully even more success is to come. :)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

I've never seen a goalie play in the shootout like that before. I think he watches a lot of Jonathan Quick highlights because he plays about one inch off the ice.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I've read and watched articles that Czerkawski is helping and leading the way to improve Polish hockey. Still the biggest problem the country has is it spends more for summer sports than winter sports, so stupid sports (IMO) like handball and volleyball get the better funds and get the players than the likes of hockey (even if hockey is improving). They even started a type of National Program in the city of Sosnowiec, which should help in development. All my family members are saying it's getting better, but it's still a quite regional sport being played in the southern mountains.

I do think an underlying factor to help the country's growth in hockey is actually in North America, Blackhawks are probably the most popular team in the city right now and with the ton of Polacks in the area. I think there is a good chance that those Polish immigrants are probably more interested in hockey than any other sport IMO. So I think we're going to be seeing a lot more players like Kamil Sadlocha coming from the Illinois area IMO, now to make them play for Poland instead of American is another story.

Just really happy for the win! I love Hungary as well, but glad to get some revenge from them from what happened in the WC1A group last year. :D

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Here are the groups for the final round, winner goes to the Olympics (home teams in bold):
Group D: Belarus, Slovenia, Denmark, Poland
Group E: Latvia, Germany, Austria, Japan
Group F: Norway, France, Kazakhstan, Italy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad