Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 122nd Overall - Vladimir Bobylev - LW - Victoria Royals [6-2/202]

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Loving all the size with skill players we are grabbing. This team BADLY needs some sandpaper to dig the puck out of the corners for our snipers.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I like this pick. Dont think it should be held against a player if they happen to blow up in their draft + 1 instead of their draft year. Just pick who you think has a future as a good NHLer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like this pick. Dont think it should be held against a player if they happen to blow up in their draft + 1 instead of their draft year. Just pick who you think has a future as a good NHLer

This draft is filled with +1/2 players being drafted. It has to be some sort of record.

I don't know why teams don't do it more often.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
....After chippy 3rd period Mike Babcock suggests Leafs will address toughness this summer. "There'll be none of that fooling around going on."

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The Marlies will be getting a crop of players in the next year or two.

Not sure when you have to be 20 by but I see alot of these guys on the Marlies soon.

May be a good thing since we will be promoting a slew of Marlie players

SEER

Sep 21, 2015

Agreed.. and I LOVE this pick..! :handclap:

My impression of him, is that he's a really, really good set-up man.., who plays a strong and tough two-way game.. Maybe close to what Hyman does.., but much tougher.. Great pick!

ryleyb

Mar 29, 2016
thoughts

I watched a lot of Royals games this year, so here's a few thoughts:

#1 He's not a fighter. He does get in fights, but that's not his thing AT ALL.

He's got great touch. Fast skater, uses his body well to protect the puck.

He seemed inconsistent to me over the season - lots of times not at all interested in the game, unwilling to work to get pucks, etc. Frustrating to watch in that sense, knowing that he's very capable when he chooses.

Hopefully another season in the WHL will get him hitting harder, playing better defensively (already improved massively from last year to this year), and dominating consistently on O.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
From a Russian member:

Bobylyov is a physically gifted high energy and work rate winger with good offensive instincts. At the offseason he successfully went through a hardcore training camp of the Spartak Moscow KHL team and that is a clear sign that at least physically he is ready for pro hockey. No surprise he had a breakthrough year getting to an almost ppg level in the WHL. His offensive package can't be called elite, but his skating and stickhandling are pretty solid for a big guy and the finishing and overall offensive sense are there. Defensive game needs to be polished a bit, since it is critical for players of Bobylyov's type.

Comparison/Projection: high energy two-way power winger who could look good almost anywhere in the lineup.
At the draft day: kid looks totally worth of a sixth round pick to me, maybe even a bit higher. Edmonton got two picks at that region.
After the draft day: one more season in the WHL mostly for developing a better defensive game and then the AHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
From a Russian member:

Bobylyov is a physically gifted high energy and work rate winger with good offensive instincts. At the offseason he successfully went through a hardcore training camp of the Spartak Moscow KHL team and that is a clear sign that at least physically he is ready for pro hockey. No surprise he had a breakthrough year getting to an almost ppg level in the WHL. His offensive package can't be called elite, but his skating and stickhandling are pretty solid for a big guy and the finishing and overall offensive sense are there. Defensive game needs to be polished a bit, since it is critical for players of Bobylyov's type.

Comparison/Projection: high energy two-way power winger who could look good almost anywhere in the lineup.
At the draft day: kid looks totally worth of a sixth round pick to me, maybe even a bit higher. Edmonton got two picks at that region.
After the draft day: one more season in the WHL mostly for developing a better defensive game and then the AHL.

Wanted to stress the bolded part a bit - former NHL-er and nowadays coach of the Spartak Moscow KHL team German Titov is apparently a fan of the hardcore Soviet-style training camps and made one for the Spartak team last summer (iirc, even team's veterans were complaining about that) and Bobylyov successfully survived it and was offered a place on the roster, but preferred to return to the WHL for the bigger icetime. That's quite telling about the 18 year old (at that time) kid.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
He's a project, but he's got a lot of high end skills that can be refined for the NHL game. Needs to find consistency shift in and shift out and be the imposing player he can be.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
One thing I found interesting is that he was taken by the Vancouver Giants in the import draft, had a bad year and got released... but instead of staying home in Russia after that, he went into the import draft again and gave it a second try. Obviously this is a guy who wants to play over here.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
The Marlies will be getting a crop of players in the next year or two.

Not sure when you have to be 20 by but I see alot of these guys on the Marlies soon.

May be a good thing since we will be promoting a slew of Marlie players

For guys drafted out of the CHL, you must turn 20 years old on or before Dec 31 to play in the AHL. Players drafted from Europe/NCAA/USHL or other US junior leagues have no age restriction.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I watched a lot of Royals games this year, so here's a few thoughts:

#1 He's not a fighter. He does get in fights, but that's not his thing AT ALL.

He's got great touch. Fast skater, uses his body well to protect the puck.

He seemed inconsistent to me over the season - lots of times not at all interested in the game, unwilling to work to get pucks, etc. Frustrating to watch in that sense, knowing that he's very capable when he chooses.

Hopefully another season in the WHL will get him hitting harder, playing better defensively (already improved massively from last year to this year), and dominating consistently on O.

Thanks for the report! I'm not mad at all about our drafting strategy of going for size/skating with our picks.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Wanted to stress the bolded part a bit - former NHL-er and nowadays coach of the Spartak Moscow KHL team German Titov is apparently a fan of the hardcore Soviet-style training camps and made one for the Spartak team last summer (iirc, even team's veterans were complaining about that) and Bobylyov successfully survived it and was offered a place on the roster, but preferred to return to the WHL for the bigger icetime. That's quite telling about the 18 year old (at that time) kid.

Care to explain any further what this "hardcore Soviet-style training camp" is like? And especially the use of the word "Survival" when referring to completing it. :laugh: I'm very intrigued.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He had only 3-6-9 points in his draft year and 28-39-67 points in draft +1.

Could be us taking a chance that his draft year was him just getting used to NA ice. Now that he has, he's ready to explode. They said he got a lot faster and a lot better hands from last year.

He's probably my favourite pick from the guys we got in rounds 5-7. Him or Chebykin, but they are similar players anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad