Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 122nd Overall - Vladimir Bobylev - LW - Victoria Royals [6-2/202]

Pholus

May 23, 2014
So with Bobylev leaving for the KHL, does that change the length of time the Leafs will retain his rights without need to offer him a contract? Or will it stay at 2 years because he was drafted out of the CHL?

Mr Hockey*

I wonder if leafs management gave him a push in the KHL's direction?

Pholus

May 23, 2014

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hm, interesting. Wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs encouraged him to pay in Russia if he had those thoughts. Clearly the Leafs don't mind their prospects playing in other mens pro leagues - could be a newer avenue for player development. Additionally, with the glut of prospects in the system, this buys time for the Leafs to watch him develop before having to force him into a tight battle on the Marlies for ice time.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is a tough kid who can score, put him with some skilled players and he can work as a power forward

Love this pick with a lot of upside, he is going to play in men's league (KHL) and that is going to be a huge experience for his development (what a thinking on part of our management)

Mr Hockey*

These KHL guys we have, are they allowed to come to the leafs camp, I am thinking no?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 2nd montage for Vladimir Bobylev. (#23)., who played Left Wing Position with 2016-17 Spartak Moskva .., in the KHL..,
Khimik Voskresensk .., in the VHL.. and with the Victoria Royals.., in the WHL....

Bobylev-Return-PR-Graphic-1-002.jpg

Vladimir Bobylev
(*a.k.a. "Vladimir Bobylyov, Bobylov")
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 18 1997 -- Lipetsk, Russia
20 yrs. ago
Height 6.02 -- Weight 203

Toronto Maple Leafs 8th pick (#122 overall)...
in the 5th Round of the 2016 NHL Draft...

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 Vancouver Giants - WHL
52 Games... 3 Goals... 6 Assists... 9 Points... -2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - Victoria Royals - WHL
72 Games... 28 Goals... 39 Assists... 67 Points... * +45
2016 WHL PLAYOFFS
5 Games... 0 Goals... 7 Assists... 7 Points... +4 *PPG+
*2016-17 - Spartak Moskva - KHL
20 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... +1
*2016-17 - Khimik Voskresensk - VHL
3 Games... 1 Goal... 1 Assist... 2 Points... +1
*2016-17 - Victoria Royals - WHL
38 Games... 9 Goals... 27 Assists... 36 Points... +16
*2017 WHL PLAYOFFS
6 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... +1

This video contains: most of Vladimir's 2016-17 goals and some of his assists....(in chronological order, but without my usual subtitles and dates)..; one short fight, from January 13th 2017, against Johansen...; two goals in the final two scrimmages, of the Leafs Prospects Summer Camp,
July 2017... and a few other 2016-17 clips & photos...

Royal Bells: Vladimir Bobylev 2016-17 Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He has been training in Toronto since Dev Camp. He didn't go back to Russia and likely won't benefit from an OA year in Victoria. Appears to be slated for the Marlies, but obviously won't be an everydayer

On a side note, I wish our ECHL team was closer cause it would be a lot easier to put the system to use.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He has been training in Toronto since Dev Camp. He didn't go back to Russia and likely won't benefit from an OA year in Victoria. Appears to be slated for the Marlies, but obviously won't be an everydayer

On a side note, I wish our ECHL team was closer cause it would be a lot easier to put the system to use.

yeah i wish we had the brampton beast maybe montreal will get a ECHL team closer to them soon

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
yeah i wish we had the brampton beast maybe montreal will get a ECHL team closer to them soon

Logistically it would be fantastic to have the Beast.

I do think MLSE is quite happy with the way Orlando is currently run, though.

Bobylev may be heading to Marlies camp but I think he inevitably ends up in the ECHL for a good part of the season.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Logistically it would be fantastic to have the Beast.

I do think MLSE is quite happy with the way Orlando is currently run, though.

Bobylev may be heading to Marlies camp but I think he inevitably ends up in the ECHL for a good part of the season.
Does he have an AHL contract yet? I thought he was going back to Victoria.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Orlando would seem like the best place for him. Putting him on the Marlies, you'd assume his minutes would be limited given the competition for spots on the wings.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If he can't make the marlies, sounds like his development isn't projecting him into the NHL.

My thoughts are that Dubas and the tml are trying to change that. When they came out and said they want to use the Bears as a developmental team and went about changing the coaching staff there. Fringe players or players that need more development time will be funneled into the echl but still receive top notch coaching for their development.
I could be mistaken but I thought that was the plan. It gives the big club contract flexibility and keeps possible players in our system.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

It would be nice to catch a game now and then as well, depending on where it relocated to.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My thoughts are that Dubas and the tml are trying to change that. When they came out and said they want to use the Bears as a developmental team and went about changing the coaching staff there. Fringe players or players that need more development time will be funneled into the echl but still receive top notch coaching for their development.
I could be mistaken but I thought that was the plan. It gives the big club contract flexibility and keeps possible players in our system.

I do think it's the plan, though I wonder how realistic it is when you have so many other leagues that are better. Like isn't the CHL better than ECHL?

Any way if you're European I feel like you're better in Europe if you can't get minutes in the A. If you become overage in CHL or finish NCAA and you can't crack the AHL, then that probably says a lot. I'm not sure the Marlies are going to be SO good that NHL-bound prospects aren't going to crack the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad