2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Expected UNB to win but thought that SMU would get more than 13 shots on goal.
If the Vreds win tomorrow Phillipe Halley should be in line for MVP after back to back hat tricks.

While the Huskies crowd was good I have to tip my hat to the X fans. Probably the best fan base in the country when you consider their size (Antigonish). Even in Fredericton I always see X alumni at the games.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think the whole town of Antigonish was there today....tomorrow will be even more (apparently the lower bowl is sold out, or close to it, and they are opening the upper bowl).

It will probably be the biggest, most hostile crowd UNB has played in front of in quite some time.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hate to say I told u so!

02-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Re: AUS Fan
as per 2013 University Cup in Saskatchewan.
Bears got upset by an OUA school which mustered all of 2 even-strength shots in the entire-game..., and then Alberta with nothing to play pretty much dominated the mighty SMU...lol...and won in OT.
Should have been Alberta-UNB Final...wasn't...Bears blew it.
Last year how did AUS rep Acadia do?
Tournament favors regional teams closet to event.
Travel is a huge factor, and trust me...as someone who travels in the NHL all season...is multiplied 10-fold in the Western Conference of the NHL.
2005 University Cup-All-Canada West Final in EDM
2007 University Cup-All AUS Final in Moncton
2014 University Cup-All Canada West Final in Saskatchewan

One of the two years in Halifax there will be an all AUS Final...mark my words

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
I want X to win...

But calling their puck (and ref) luck to run out and the Reds take it 3-1.

I would expect a few folks to make the trip from NB for this one, but it will be a strong X side in numbers. My Facebook feed is jammed with people announcing their travel plans for Halifax today.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I want X to win...

But calling their puck (and ref) luck to run out and the Reds take it 3-1.

I would expect a few folks to make the trip from NB for this one, but it will be a strong X side in numbers. My Facebook feed is jammed with people announcing their travel plans for Halifax today.

I just want to see Halley put up another hat trick; that'd be spectacular.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm expecting a sell-out today.

Prediction time...

We'll stick with 2 points for team + 1 for score fro Bronze and 3 points + 1 for Gold Medal game

Sask 3-2
UNB 4-2

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Tournament favors regional teams closet to event.
Travel is a huge factor, and trust me...as someone who travels in the NHL all season...is multiplied 10-fold in the Western Conference of the NHL.
2005 University Cup-All-Canada West Final in EDM
2007 University Cup-All AUS Final in Moncton
2014 University Cup-All Canada West Final in Saskatchewan

One of the two years in Halifax there will be an all AUS Final...mark my words

The funny thing is, as much as the tournament is a "home show", which I tend to agree with you about...only one host team in the last 10 years (UNB in 2011) has won.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
Sask 3-1 (because they deserve to leave with something)

UNB 4-3 (don't think X can beat them three in a row)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB's 3rd game in 3 days vs. X coming off a triple OT game...will be interesting to see what team is fresher. Expect to see X come out flying with the big crowd behind them.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here are the prediction standings going into today's games:

blackmarketmob = 3 + 4
Dutch = 3 + 4
UNB Bruins Fan = 3 + 4
northvanman = 3 + 4

AdamMcg83 = 5 + 1
Bearpaw = 2 + 4
Big Bad John = 4 + 2

Antigonowhere = 0 + 4

VRedsRule = 3 + 0
TFuel = 3 + 0

STUTOMMIES = 2 + 0
Finder24 = 2 + 0

connor macdavid= 1 + 0
recruiter = 1 + 0

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Defensive smothering of X by UNB.
UNB looked like the team that won 19 straight today

Yup. After the two quick goals, it was all over. UNB didn't give them much at all. Sitting there watching the quick changes by UNB - 20 second shifts. Carroll got a lot of ice in a checking/PK role tonight. Not sure what happened, but very little of Taylor and Critch in the 3rd.

Edit: Halifax also established a CIS attendance record, beating Sask of 2014 by 428 bums in the seats.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was critical of their defensive play quite often this season, but UNB tightened up and played their best defensive games of the season this weekend, when they needed to the most.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
How was the game from a neutral fan's point of view? Even though UNB was in control for most of the game I was on the edge of my seat until the last 20 seconds.
X played hard but I wonder if they ran out of steam in the third period? They really couldn't generate much. Great defensive play by the VReds as well.

Excellent fan support from the X fans. They really made the tournament a huge success. I think I had one of the last tickets to be sold in the lower bowel.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was in a half empty row at Center ice lower bowl for the entire weekend. No idea who had the seats, as I had a pass anyway. Plus I had 2 packages that I won during the SMU-UdeM playoffs from CIS. I was giving away seats left and right.

I was impressed with UNB, as I said. If I were a fan, I would not have been concerned. They were in control....

Fully agree with you on the SFX fan comment. Without SFX, the crowd would have been half or less regardless of who was playing.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
U Cup

The success of this tournament, attendance record, means that Halifax will get this event again.
Last year, the city was socked with a major snow storm, the same weekend as the University Cup.
I think the crowd's lat year would have been better?
Today's final drew 10,000.
I expect to see X back at Nationals, SMU and the underachieving Axemen should battle for the 3'rd AUS spot. UQTR from the OUA,Carleton or McGill. OUA West??
In regards to CanadaWest. I would expect the Saskatchewan Huskies to be back, they are solid on the backend, solid in nets, they could use some size and scoring punch up front.
Alberta is Alberta and they will recruit and re-load, but do graduate the core of this team. The rest is for Stauffer!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Wrap-up

Champions
UNB flies under the radar in the lower bracket and brings a full 60min game to the finals to smother SFX for their 6th title (Gardiner's 5th and their 5th in 10 years). In the past 10 years UNB as gone G-S-G-*-G-*-G-*-S-G, 7 appearances in 10 years making the final each time.

This is their first win as the 'visitor' wearing 'dark' jerseys and Gardiner's first win on an 'even' year.

SFX should send a couple of beers to Acaida thanking them for collapsing and opening the door for them.

Tournament MVP
Philippe Halley (UNB) garnered the Major W.J. 'Danny' McLeod Award for CIS University Cup MVP.
This was the easiest selection to make - who else would you choose. He might have won even if UNB didn't.

Tournament All-Stars
Forwards -
Philippe Halley (UNB)
Anthony Repaci (Saint Mary's)
Michael Clarke (StFX)

Defense -
Nathan Chiarlitti (StFX)
Jordan Murray (UNB)

Goalie
Jordon Cooke (Saskatchewan)

Marcoux had almost 2 shutouts but didn't really have the work that Cooke had to manage, so no issues with this. He even played two entire games more- almost (G1: 116:11 + G2: 107:35 = 223:46 = 3G 43min in the first two) before the Bronze game. for 283:46 in total = 4G 43min

Attendance
The four-day 2016 CIS University Cup set attendance records, attracting 43,513 fans, including 9,873 for the gold medal game.

Observations
- UNB had the easier side of the draw.
- Too bad that USK and SFX had to meet in the Semis.
- I was also looking forward to a UNB-UQTR game (battle of the top 2 offensive teams in the country - mano-a-mano for bragging rights)
- a little more time between games would be nice, not that you can plan for 3 OTs.
- Great to see a full house on TV, very impressive (karma - X ruins the day in 2004, UNB returns the favour in 2016).
- media coverage was good, but I didn't care too much for the CIS-TV video quality or announcers. Hopefully UNB will use Dave and Mike from CHSR next year.

Last edited:

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
It seems like almost all of this year's teams should be in good position and have high expectations of returning to Fredericton next year. Of course there are other teams as well including the AUS's 2nd place team, the Acadia Axemen, the UPEI Panthers who upset them and Moncton.

CIS fans and CIS "Top Ten Voters" the AUS is a lot deeper than just this year's CIS Gold, Silver and Bronze winners!

One thing is sure, we know UNB will be there as hosts and contenders!

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
- UNB had the easier side of the draw.

Full marks to UNB for the title - they were clearly one of the nation's top 2 teams from October through March. But man oh man, did they ever do themselves an accidental favour by losing the AUS final.

If they'd have won, their path to the championship game would have likely been Carleton, then Alberta. In stead, they got to face the two unquestionably weakest teams in the tournament (when you get this far, nobody's weak - but relatively speaking, SMU/Western was the easiest possible path for any top-end team). The draw, coupled with X's 3-OT game the day before, could have definitely tipped the scales in the final.

NOTE TO THE REDS FAITHFUL: This is just my observation, I'm not raining on your parade :) congrats on the title!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad