2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
Congrats to UNB and their individual award winners.

Props to all other winners and the rest of the field.

I'm committed - I'll be getting a season pass to X for next year for sure. I had been for a game here and there in the past, but this experience drew me in for the wholeshot. So hope to see all of the AUS teams in fine form in Antigonowhere next year, and hope to make it to Freddy this time next year to ski and watch some puck.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Had UNB won the AUS the seeding would be this, I'm guessing:

UNB
UQTR
SASK
UWO
ALB
SFX
SMU
CAR

Does SFX win game one against a fresh SASK team? Does UNB get banged up playing CAR? Are 1-8, 4-5 a group and 2-7 and 3-6 a group? I'll give UNB and ALB opening game wins.

Thoughts?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Got a text from a friend from Boston who was home for the Nationals. Flying back, he was speaking to a SASK parent also leaving today (who he had met coming in on Wed)

According to this parent, the SASK players were out till 3 am on Sat night.

I don't know if this is true or false and I DON'T CARE either way.

If it is true, I'm glad to see Dave Adolph Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk. He said he doesn't like the Bronze Game and if he let his guys go out for a couple of pops, good for him.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Got a text from a friend from Boston who was home for the Nationals. Flying back, he was speaking to a SASK parent also leaving today (who he had met coming in on Wed)

According to this parent, the SASK players were out till 3 am on Sat night.

I don't know if this is true or false and I DON'T CARE either way.

If it is true, I'm glad to see Dave Adolph Talk the Talk and Walk the Walk. He said he doesn't like the Bronze Game and if he let his guys go out for a couple of pops, good for him.

I agree. Hopefully they don't have the bronze medal game next year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just read in the Gleaner that basketball and hockey will be played on different weekends next year. Basketball will be March 9th-12th and hockey the following weekend - March 16th-19th.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Had UNB won the AUS the seeding would be this, I'm guessing:

1. UNB -vs- 8. CAR
3. SASK -vs- 6. SFX

2. UQTR -vs- 7. SMU
4. UWO -vs- 5. ALB

Does SFX win game one against a fresh SASK team? Does UNB get banged up playing CAR? Are 1-8, 4-5 a group and 2-7 and 3-6 a group? I'll give UNB and ALB opening game wins.

Thoughts?

This would have been a completely different tournament. I hope UNB gets past CAR, but a fresh SFX/USK game could go either way. then UNB has SFX or USK in the Semi's.

I would still pick SMU ovs UQTR, but ALB wins over UWO and then advances to the finals.

We then have a UNB/ALB or SFX/ALB game with the AUS team victorious.

UNB certainly lucked out when they lost the AUS Finals.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This would have been a completely different tournament. I hope UNB gets past CAR, but a fresh SFX/USK game could go either way. then UNB has SFX or USK in the Semi's.

I would still pick SMU ovs UQTR, but ALB wins over UWO and then advances to the finals.

We then have a UNB/ALB or SFX/ALB game with the AUS team victorious.

UNB certainly lucked out when they lost the AUS Finals.

Wouldn't #1 UNB play #4 Alberta in the semis? Don't see them having much of an issue getting past them.

The only luck for UNB was playing an X team that had played 3OTs.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Personally, I think UNB was very well prepared with some extra incentive and the best team at Nationals this weekend. I don't think that any seeding # would not have changed the outcome.

I

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
Personally, I think UNB was very well prepared with some extra incentive and the best team at Nationals this weekend. I don't think that any seeding # would not have changed the outcome.

I

UNB had been chomping at the bit for this exact matchup for two weeks.

I think X would have made a bit better showing if they'd had a couple of less periods skating the day before, but it's not like the game was a blowout. That third goal changed the whole face of the game.

Either way one slices it, I think UNB wanted it much more, and worked hard to get it.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Agree that 2.5 periods of overtime took a bit out of X's sails, but they had Friday to rest up, while UNB played 3 games in 3 days, including the late game on saturday vs SMU.
The Bears did the same last year, not an easy task!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just read in the Gleaner that basketball and hockey will be played on different weekends next year. Basketball will be March 9th-12th and hockey the following weekend - March 16th-19th.

Hopefully this means Sportsnet won't be dictating the times as strictly. There should be more time between games.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Read a quote from Saskatchewan quote Dave Adolph taken before the bronze medal game. He is not a fan. To paraphrase the teams give their all during the semi-finals. Once they lose their season is really over. The bronze medal game makes no sense. This isn't the Olympics.

Hope they don't have it at UNB next year. It isn't televised so I don't see Sportsnet having an objection.

dale 1919

Jun 9, 2009
Read a quote from Saskatchewan quote Dave Adolph taken before the bronze medal game. He is not a fan. To paraphrase the teams give their all during the semi-finals. Once they lose their season is really over. The bronze medal game makes no sense. This isn't the Olympics.

Hope they don't have it at UNB next year. It isn't televised so I don't see Sportsnet having an objection.

morning fellas, i thought i would paraphrase what i thought i heard at the pressor regarding the bronze medal format.
....most coaches in all of our sports understand the tournaments requests for the additional games as it could be a revenue generator...sponsors also see it as a bigger package they are purchasing...
but it is really an accident waiting to happen...especially as competitive as this MHOC event is becoming...
he commended his team and Trevor's team for playing the game with respect and discipline knowing all eyes were on the two teams and its coaches!!
it for sure is a game that nobody wants to play! everyone from the two participating school are on pins and needles...

i have long listened to the CIS moan about how it has to be part of the package that schools bid on....as they are the ones who put up the $ for the bids and assume the financial risk...and hopefully they get or want as many games for potential revenue as possible...then Sportsnet comes along and creates the 8 team standardized format...what a beautiful thing this is!
they use this same arguement when requiring the court sports to get up and play a sunday 5/6 game at 900am after winning the semi finals on the B side the night or afternoon before.....really how do you get up for these participation games??
they (CIS and whom ever else) really don't understand a couple of things.
1.in the court sports they play their top 6 or 7 and that is it, so in the "who cares cup" they play their bench warmers who have some jam left ( a little more than the regulars)and nobody cares...dont forget there is really no contact in basketball and there is a net separating the teams in Vball
2. in a court sport "who cares cup" nobody loses their cool if the score gets one sided...it is over quick in Vball and in basketball they just exchange baskets until the buzzer goes. basically nobody knows about it! Might see a note about who won the Bronze but nothing about the 5/6 game or the 7/8 game?
BUT
in a full contact sport with two uninterested parties and players who are still on edge... the game could go sideways in a hurry....
almost did in Freddy beach between AB and UNB, i was there in the stands and I was totally worried for the coaches and the players in that one....and to be fair the year Dal "won" the bronze they really were genuinely excited....happy for them.
Way too risky IMO. decent crowd last weekend for bronze, but this game is always one nasty hit away from a potential s##t show. The CIS has no clue... really they dont!
they just stand there oblivious....good sportsmanship guys
really liked your teams compete today coach
good talk...ha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->