2016 Blackhawks Convention July 15-17

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Some of the responses in here are absolutely ridiculous. :shakehead

Apparently because they're professional athletes they're not allowed to have personal lives. Or take vacations. Or have girlfriends. Or relax. It's hockey, hockey, hockey 110% of the time with no down-time? People need to get a clue...

These guys lived, breathed, slept, and ate hockey for their entire lives until they went pro. I know, because I did the same(without the pro part obviously). They did that so that they can do what they do now. You know... play hockey, make lots of money, and then in the off-season they can relax, keep in shape during it with standard workout regimens and diets, and come back ready to play again the next year having never missed a step. These guys bust balls all season long... and some whiny ass fans want them to continue to bust balls all off-season with no apparent break or time to relax and have for themselves? Ridiculous, and sad. Why not just enslave them like the gladiators and call it a day then? Since that's what some seem to think they should be. :shakehead

Some people need to get a life other than watching hockey, I think.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Players are robots, don't you know? They don't need good locker room guys, they don't need to have superstitious quirks, they don't need someone on the ice to make them feel like they are protected, (even if they may not be). They just need to play, they are robots, come on man.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Players are robots, don't you know? They don't need good locker room guys, they don't need to have superstitious quirks, they don't need someone on the ice to make them feel like they are protected, (even if they may not be). They just need to play, they are robots, come on man.

Oh yeah, forgot they were cyborgs developed by the NHL and Rocky.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Some of the responses in here are absolutely ridiculous. :shakehead

Apparently because they're professional athletes they're not allowed to have personal lives. Or take vacations. Or have girlfriends. Or relax. It's hockey, hockey, hockey 110% of the time with no down-time? People need to get a clue...

These guys lived, breathed, slept, and ate hockey for their entire lives until they went pro. I know, because I did the same(without the pro part obviously). They did that so that they can do what they do now. You know... play hockey, make lots of money, and then in the off-season they can relax, keep in shape during it with standard workout regimens and diets, and come back ready to play again the next year having never missed a step. These guys bust balls all season long... and some whiny ass fans want them to continue to bust balls all off-season with no apparent break or time to relax and have for themselves? Ridiculous, and sad. Why not just enslave them like the gladiators and call it a day then? Since that's what some seem to think they should be. :shakehead

Some people need to get a life other than watching hockey, I think.

I don't really think anybody is going that far. I think some people just feel that, as the captain and earning 10.5 million a season, Toews should probably be present at the convention. I mean he has been on vacation since the end of April.

It really depends on what the "personal commitment" is though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't really think anybody is going that far. I think some people just feel that, as the captain and earning 10.5 million a season, Toews should probably be present at the convention. I mean he has been on vacation since the end of April.

I definitely get what people mean, and I might have come off a little harsh, but I see a lot of people that tend to believe, like Hawkaholic wrote, that these guys are robots. That they don't have personal lives. That they should be at the beck and call of fans and the organization 24/7/365. I just disagree. They're at the beck and call of the organization 2/3, or more, of the year during training, pre-season, the regular season, and playoffs. Give them their 2-3 months of personal time to do what they want. For Hawks players especially, who basically over the past 6-7 years have gotten around 2 1/2 months off each season as opposed to most players and teams getting their 3-5 months.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

That I can understand. It's what, 2.5 days? Suck it up and just go. A vacation can be scheduled around it. He's got a 4 month window to have nothing but vacations. It's a commitment like a wedding, I get that.

The optics just look off when the week before he was in Toronto filming Canada Tire commercials and Bauer marketing videos. When an athlete does one event over the other, it says that the one event was more important.

Trust me, I get WHY he wouldn't want to show, but when the faces of the franchise - Kane, Keith, Crow, Seabs, Hoss and Hjam are there, the biggest face and captain probably should be too.

That said, I'd probably never go to the convention, so I really don't care. I just want him to earn his $10.5M As much as I love him as a player, I still think he's one of the more overpaid players in the league. To my eyes, he's a $7.5m player - you know, just like Brent Seabrook. :)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Not really, Toews has a life outside of the Hawks organization. If he felt what he needed to do was more important than a convention, then all the power to him. I trust his judgement, and he doesn't owe the Hawks anything in the off-season.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In a league where Getzlaf and Stankos are each making 8.5, theres no way Jonathan Toews is a 7.5 mill player.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Toews is starting to make me low key worry about him. Hanging out with the Onnit crew of really fringy psychadelic users doing podcasts about mindfulness and consciousness, a down year, and this convention thing (which is a distant third in my reasons to be concerned).

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
Toews was in Canada, appearing with Canadian Tire, in some events for the military. There were photos posted of him appearing with soldiers and at a local gym, working out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Toews is starting to make me low key worry about him. Hanging out with the Onnit crew of really fringy psychadelic users doing podcasts about mindfulness and consciousness, a down year, and this convention thing (which is a distant third in my reasons to be concerned).

This has to be a joke right?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
This has to be a joke right?

Kind of but not really. I love Joe Rogan, Duncan Trussel and Aubrey Marcus but they are pretty low down the list of people I'd ideally like Jonathan Toews hanging out with.

His life and so it's a little bit tongue in cheek but I don't give a **** about players on a personal level, don't care if they have lives. They are hockey players to me and that's all they're worth is and I prefer my hockey players to drink beer, retreat to some dumb cottage and lift with their idiot friends in the offseason. Not hang out with people dropping shrooms and smoking more than Cheech and Chong doing a podcast about how he's getting in to Buddhist philosophy talking about drug use to open your mind.

That gives me slight pause but not losing sleep over it. Just a little weird.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Kind of but not really. I love Joe Rogan, Duncan Trussel and Aubrey Marcus but they are pretty low down the list of people I'd ideally like Jonathan Toews hanging out with.

His life and so it's a little bit tongue in cheek but I don't give a **** about players on a personal level, don't care if they have lives. They are hockey players to me and that's all they're worth is and I prefer my hockey players to drink beer, retreat to some dumb cottage and lift with their idiot friends in the offseason. Not hang out with people dropping shrooms and smoking more than Cheech and Chong doing a podcast about how he's getting in to Buddhist philosophy talking about drug use to open your mind.

This is the the biggest fundamental issue with this country as a whole. No one gives a **** about each other anymore. They're people... not machines. :shakehead

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just got through watching the Olczyk/Kane panel.

Apparently when Kane passed Bobby Hull's record, Panarin was saying (and this is me quoting Kane who's quoting Panarin) "FU Bobby Hull, FU!". Kane even mentioned that he didn't know if Panarin fully understood what the streak meant prior to that moment. Bread's the best.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Also in that panel Eddie said Marc Bergevin was always a big practical joker in his day... I wonder if that still is really what he is doing with his managing of Montreal.

sugoi88

Feb 28, 2016

Wait, what? I think I missed something. What has Toews been up to??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad