2016 Blackhawks Convention July 15-17

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He's been on vacation for the last two months it seems. If Kane did that after making 10.5m and putting up 58 points people would flip ****. All I'm saying is he's the captain and the face of the franchise. The convention is their biggest event of the offseason and people pay a lot of money to see them there. Whatever. Dude better have a better season than last year if hes taking 2/3 of the offseason to travel with his girlfriend. First round loss, worst season in NHL. I'd expect JT to wear that and train harder than ever. Maybe he is, doesnt seem so when peaking at his IG.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He's on vacation for the last two months it seems. If Kane did that after making 10.5m and putting up 58 points people would flip ****. All I'm saying is he's the captain and the face of the franchise. The convention is their biggest event of the offseason and people pay a lot of money to see them there. Whatever. Dude better have a better season than last year if hes taking 2/3 of the offseason to travel with his girlfriend. First round loss, worst season in NHL. I'd expect JT to wear that and train harder than ever. Maybe he is, doesnt seem so when peaking at his IG.

Do you honestly think Toews isn't working out in any vacation trips he's been on this summer? The same Toews who, as a child, had sleepovers that involved intensive workout sessions?

Just don't see it. Only way Tazer isn't working his ass off on a consistent basis right now is if he is dealing with an injury or illness. Otherwise, he's pushing himself to his limits.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He's been on vacation for the last two months it seems. If Kane did that after making 10.5m and putting up 58 points people would flip ****. All I'm saying is he's the captain and the face of the franchise. The convention is their biggest event of the offseason and people pay a lot of money to see them there. Whatever. Dude better have a better season than last year if hes taking 2/3 of the offseason to travel with his girlfriend. First round loss, worst season in NHL. I'd expect JT to wear that and train harder than ever. Maybe he is, doesnt seem so when peaking at his IG.

What the **** are you talking about? The level of ignorance in this post is amazing. You peak at his instagram and come to this brilliant conclusion? I took the liberty of "peaking" at it and the first picture you notice (other than his GF that is a 10) is a picture of him with his shirt off and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out he is working out and is in great shape. Did you know that they have training facilities all over the world? Story at 10 - They do!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHAcio7R7gk/?taken-by=jonathantoews&hl=en

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Frankly, if I were him, I'd be sick of coming to these things by now, too.

As long as the Blackhawks have a summer free of criminal investigations, I'll be happy.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Frankly, if I were him, I'd be sick of coming to these things by now, too.

As long as the Blackhawks have a summer free of criminal investigations, I'll be happy.

This too.

Just imagine the headline "Toews arrested for JWALKING!"

I am sure Tim Grahman would have a source saying Toews is negotiating a settlement and that Toews might turn himself in.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Girlfriend confirmed 10. Machu Picchu Toews confirmed strikes again. And my post never implied he wasn't working out. My post questioned whether he was training at the maximum level possible while traveling all across the world.

I think him missing the convention is silly regardless if he's tired of it, as I'm sure many others are as well. He's the captain and the face of the org and people pay a lot of money in advance expecting the core guys to be there. Whatever tho, I don't go anyway. But it's amazing how defensive some posters get for anything negative said about JT.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Girlfriend confirmed 10. Machu Picchu Toews confirmed strikes again. And my post never implied he wasn't working out. My post questioned whether he was training at the maximum level possible while traveling all across the world.

I think him missing the convention is silly. He's the captain and the face of the org and people pay a lot of money in advance expecting the core guys to be there. Whatever tho I don't go anyway. But it's amazing how defensive some posters get for anything negative said about JT.

You think it is silly but think at from a realistic angle. Maybe he has a wedding? I know he is still close with the UND group and has been in a few of their weddings (example Taylor Chourney's wedding). These players are real people and have commitments such as minor things like family and friends.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I think him missing the convention is silly regardless if he's tired of it, as I'm sure many others are as well. He's the captain and the face of the org and people pay a lot of money in advance expecting the core guys to be there. Whatever tho, I don't go anyway. But it's amazing how defensive some posters get for anything negative said about JT.

Anything negative with no basis of truth whatsoever like suggesting he's not training hard in the offseason

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
It would certainly suck if he is your favorite player and you are dishing out the cash to see him.
But from experience, he is only on a few panels on Saturday and does one signing session and he's gone.
The only other time you see him is the opening night.
Pretty much the rest of the team is there. A much better line up than there has been in some previous years.

THAT SAID - I am sad I couldn't afford it again this year :/ I always enjoy going

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What the **** are you talking about? The level of ignorance in this post is amazing. You peak at his instagram and come to this brilliant conclusion? I took the liberty of "peaking" at it and the first picture you notice (other than his GF that is a 10) is a picture of him with his shirt off and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out he is working out and is in great shape. Did you know that they have training facilities all over the world? Story at 10 - They do!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHAcio7R7gk/?taken-by=jonathantoews&hl=en

Frankly, going by that picture, if anything I'm concerned he's putting too much time into bulking up his upper body, when he was at his best as the svelte 'speed machine' body featured in men's health:

27300f867e5f34a4361e701a9a5ee02c.jpg

Core strength and lower-body strength is so much more important for hockey players than chest and arms. It's all wasted mass that interferes with the ideal strength-to-weight ratio. Dragging around muscle you don't use much over the course of a hockey game isn't going to make you a more effective player.

In any case, I trust him to work out effectively in the off-season.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Frankly, if he struggles as much as he did this year for the next 4 years, it would only account for back-payment for all the years the Blackhawks were getting 8.5 million dollar performance for the discount rate of 6.3 million.

But I doubt that will be the case.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
He didn't play like a 10.5m forward last year. There should be little argument over that.

You are right. People give Toews so much slack.

He had a "down year" is the most people will say about him, yet if it were Kane that had as crappy of a year as Toews did, there would be no end to the *****ing.

Kane meanwhile pretty much IS the reason (along with a rookie and the goalie) that the Hawks even made it to the postseason.

Also look at Seabrook. He had a "down year" too, is not paid nearly as much as Toews, yet there is no end to the complaints about him.

Fact of the matter is for what Toews' 10.5 million contract is doing to the ability to fill out the rest of the roster, he should have done much better last year than he did.

Kane lived up to his contract last year (and then some, to be honest). Toews didn't. Hopefully he bounces back. But if he doesn't? Then I am going to be worried, as that contract will be much much more of a problem than Seabrook's.

Though I am getting really off-track since this originated from discussing the convention.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You are right. People give Toews so much slack.

He had a "down year" is the most people will say about him, yet if it were Kane that had as crappy of a year as Toews did, there would be no end to the *****ing.

Kane meanwhile pretty much IS the reason (along with a rookie and the goalie) that the Hawks even made it to the postseason.

Also look at Seabrook. He had a "down year" too, is not paid nearly as much as Toews, yet there is no end to the complaints about him.

Fact of the matter is for what Toews' 10.5 million contract is doing to the ability to fill out the rest of the roster, he should have done much better last year than he did.

Kane lived up to his contract last year (and then some, to be honest). Toews didn't. Hopefully he bounces back. But if he doesn't? Then I am going to be worried, as that contract will be much much more of a problem than Seabrook's.

Though I am getting really off-track since this originated from discussing the convention.

Seabrook did not have a down year, he has been steadily trending downwards since 2012. His 2016 numbers were right in line with the projections people had for him, and the reason people were immediately, rightfully, going nuts over the contract he signed mid-season. Anything over 5x5 was going to be considered a disaster by people in the know, and anything over 5x4 was going to be considered overvalue.

By comparison, Toews possession struggles last season are completely out of character. It remains to be seen if they continue, but at this point they are a clear anomaly in the trend.

Everybody knew Kane and Toews were overpaid by at least 1.5 million a piece when they signed their new contracts. Nobody was particularly happy about it. And the organization went all in during 2015 to ensure they got one more cup before they had to account for the new contracts. But the combined 3 million overpayment for two 27 year olds is not comparable to a 3 million overpayment for a single 30+ year old.

Also, for the record, this growing undercurrent characterizing Patrick Kane - face of the Blackhawks, one of the most marketed players in the NHL, consistent top 10 merchandise seller - as some poor, underappreciated middle child who people are just so gosh-darn hard on, is such hilarious, delusional bull****. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad