2016-2017 Minnesota Wild General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
funny comment by JR yesterday during the hawks vs bruins game. they were talking about how the wild cooled off & JR said earlier in the year the captain koivu was in the mix for the selky (?) and now he just saw his face on a milk carton hes been missing for so long!

I don't put any stalk in what JR says at all.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Wild have the perfect schedule to end the year on a winning streak. go hot into the playoffs, c'mon wild!

Go hot into the playoffs?

Beating up on the teams at the bottom of the league is not going hot into the playoffs.

The Wild played poorly yesterday. They played the kind of game that will see them get swept in the first round. I hope I am wrong...but I am not exactly optimistic.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Beating up on the teams at the bottom of the league is not going hot into the playoffs.

The Wild played poorly yesterday. They played the kind of game that will see them get swept in the first round. I hope I am wrong...but I am not exactly optimistic.

It doesn't stop people saying the blues Go hot into the playoffs.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
It doesn't stop people saying the blues Go hot into the playoffs.

People say lots of things...people said the earth was flat. Its good policy to largely ignore what people say.

Fact remains that the Wild played poorly in quite a few statistical categories that given the competition it shouldnt have.

Not exactly confidence inspiring if you ask me....but if someone feels otherwise more power to them. Keep that optimism going.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

IMO a win is a win, no matter who you play, we need confidence right now. you are a debby downer today :sarcasm:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah I don't think we can really disparage them for beating bad teams, we can only play what's put in front of us. And I think we have an opportunity here to get on a roll with some wins before going into the playoffs. Hopefully that can get some mojo back and get them feeling good again.

It's not like this is a mediocre team that struggled all season and we need to beat up on these bad teams just to squeak into the playoffs. This is a team that is elite when it's playing at it's best and can absolutely beat anyone.

If it takes some wins against cupcakes to get back to that, fine by me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Lol. Jebus people just can't be happy. They crushed them in the first, got a big lead and coasted to the win in the 2nd half a B2B while increasing their lead.

How big of a win did we need to see for it to be a good game?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
They didn't play bad yesterday, they played like a team on a back to back with a 3 goal lead. They were clearly trying to conserve energy because they still play 3 more games this week.

Also a hot streak is a hot streak regardless of who you're playing. Teams missing the playoffs have a lot of young inspired players in the lineup, and Carolina is definitely no slouch.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Lol. Jebus people just can't be happy. They crushed them in the first, got a big lead and coasted to the win in the 2nd half a B2B while increasing their lead.

How big of a win did we need to see for it to be a good game?

They needed to not get outshot by the Av's for the 2nd and 3rd periods. They needed to not spend the majority of both periods in the Defensive zone. Now I could understand conserving energy if they hadn't been doing that for the last 2 weeks.

This is a team that needs to prove something. They need to prove that they can be dominant again and that they have some pride left. I didnt really see a lot of that. I saw them taking advantage of a team that doesn't play defense. Like I said in the GDT...they picked on the slow kid and expects everyone to be happy about it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They needed to not get outshot by the Av's for the 2nd and 3rd periods. They needed to not spend the majority of both periods in the Defensive zone. Now I could understand conserving energy if they hadn't been doing that for the last 2 weeks.

This is a team that needs to prove something. They need to prove that they can be dominant again and that they have some pride left. I didnt really see a lot of that. I saw them taking advantage of a team that doesn't play defense. Like I said in the GDT...they picked on the slow kid and expects everyone to be happy about it.

We've been outshot routinely all season, and we're going to care now? MacKinnon, Duchene and Co were content to skate around the perimeter taking bad angle shots and shots from the point. The Wild let them, like they've done basically all season.

The Wild gave up 3 High Danger scoring chances all game. They had 11 themselves.

In the 2nd and 3rd periods it was 6-2 for the in the Wild's favor.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
are we playing well enough to win round one of the playoffs? i dont think so. can we pull our collective heads out & play great hockey? its possible. i believe this is the most talented team the wild have iced. playoffs are the time to prove it. i will be screaming heads must roll if we get spanked.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I dunno, I was at the game yesterday, and it certainly didn't feel like the Avs were in control outside of maybe a few minutes spaced out in the 2nd and 3rd periods. The Wild outshot them by a gigantic margin in the first, and after they built a healthy lead, BB had them playing more defensively, which is why the shot count crept up. But most of those shots weren't all that great.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
We've been outshot routinely all season, and we're going to care now? MacKinnon, Duchene and Co were content to skate around the perimeter taking bad angle shots and shots from the point. The Wild let them, like they've done basically all season.

The Wild gave up 3 High Danger scoring chances all game. They had 11 themselves.

In the 2nd and 3rd periods it was 6-2 for the in the Wild's favor.

Scoring chances wasn't my point.

Puck possession and control was. You wont keep a team like St. Louis to the perimeter in the playoffs so you damn well better control the puck. We didn't....and we really haven't in the last month and a half. We should be building our game to compete with teams that judging by our play are on another level from us. Sitting back and not being able to control the puck vs the Avs is the opposite of that. Of course you are going to get the odd man rush and high danger scoring chances against the Avs...they don't play defense. That isn't the point though...if you cannot control the puck vs Colorado....what the hell do you expect to do against teams that actually show up?

Lose 3 - 0 like we did in Nashville is what....but extend that agony over 4 games while we watch the Wild get swept. Winning isn't good enough this time of year...how they win matters way more.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I guess I don't get the notion that a bunch of these players need rest.

I mean, I guess if they have a nagging injury, sit them out, but other than that why do they need to rest?

Am I missing something, or is this a thing that teams do? I don't remember in the past that teams clinch the playoffs and sit a bunch of players solely to rest them.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I guess I don't get the notion that a bunch of these players need rest.

I mean, I guess if they have a nagging injury, sit them out, but other than that why do they need to rest?

Am I missing something, or is this a thing that teams do? I don't remember in the past that teams clinch the playoffs and sit a bunch of players solely to rest them.

Koivu looks horrible, Dubnyk already got few games. They haven't got more than one night off since.. what? Last three weeks or something? Just a couple of nights before the playoffs. One at the time of course.

Not actually sure how many days there are between the regular season and playoffs. But it looks like some of them need to take a breath. Some need to play obfind themselves. Like Haula, Schroeder looked really nice and full of energy again.

Just my opinion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd like to see Suter and Koivu get some rest. I do not want to see those two dragging their ***** in the playoffs. They are two of the "core" players on the team. If they do well, we do well. Maybe Granville, if he needs it. Staal?...mebbe not.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'm genuinely upset over Stalock going back to Iowa. Kuemper doesn't deserve to see another damn minute in goal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Me, too, but I think they are going to give Kuemper one more start to see what he does. If he screws up, I'm betting that they go with Stalock as the backup, and that Kuemper doesn't play another game for the Wild. I'm worried that he will play well in a meaningless game, and get yet another chance to play in the PO's. I don't trust him anymore.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm genuinely upset over Stalock going back to Iowa. Kuemper doesn't deserve to see another damn minute in goal.

BB was on with KFAN this morning and said they want Stalock to get all the time he can get before the playoffs in the event they have to call him up. There was no point of having him ride the bench when they have Dubnyk as the starting goalie and want him to get a little bit more time in before the playoffs. After today, if they win, the rest of the games this season won't matter anyway. And BB doesn't care about "winning streaks" going into the playoffs since there is downtime between the regular season and the start of them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad