Line Combos: 2016-2017 Line-up Discussion - Let's go Bolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Lord Flashheart created first so he wins.

Which moderator will reign supreme?

Iron_Chef.JPG

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Wagner has been horrible and Boll leads the NHL in fights

I agree that Wagner has been horrible. I am not certain what happened to him this year. Perhaps last year his second stint with the Ducks was his peak. Still, based upon a review of Cap Friendly, we need Wagner to play in six more NHL games this season to meet the expansion criteria for at least two forwards who played in at least 70 NHL games over the current and previous seasons. It is well worth getting Wagner those games.

If we apply the same criteria to Boll, he needs to play in another 19 games to meet the criteria. While Boll doesn't seem to contribute that much to the team, other than fighting, the Ducks certainly should play him at least those 19 games so that they have two forwards who meet the expansion criteria.

The player who surprises me the most in terms of also potentially meeting the criteria is Shaw. He needs to play in another 11 games, although the Ducks need to at least qualify him prior to the expansion draft. At this point why not play him those 11 games and qualify him for the draft.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I agree that Wagner has been horrible. I am not certain what happened to him this year. Perhaps last year his second stint with the Ducks was his peak. Still, based upon a review of Cap Friendly, we need Wagner to play in six more NHL games this season to meet the expansion criteria for at least two forwards who played in at least 70 NHL games over the current and previous seasons. It is well worth getting Wagner those games.

If we apply the same criteria to Boll, he needs to play in another 19 games to meet the criteria. While Boll doesn't seem to contribute that much to the team, other than fighting, the Ducks certainly should play him at least those 19 games so that they have two forwards who meet the expansion criteria.

The player who surprises me the most in terms of also potentially meeting the criteria is Shaw. He needs to play in another 11 games, although the Ducks need to at least qualify him prior to the expansion draft. At this point why not play him those 11 games and qualify him for the draft.

Wagner's decision to be an absolute zero on the ice is one of many disappointments this year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
They are worthless staged fights that don't mean a thing! He is a terrible hockey player who adds nothing to the team.

His most recent fight against Calgary was purposeful, they were running around despite having a big lead, so Boll took a big run at someone and then dropped the gloves with Engelland.

Otherwise I'd agree that he's been fairly useless. I believe we already have enough scrappy players who can stand up for their teammates.

prohockey

Jul 2, 2012

Agree , I think they will play Shaw, he has not played badly, he is very strong defensively , reliable not to be caught out of position and has done a very good job on the PK. His best game was against Calgary in that bad loss. If he chips in for a few goals he is a good 4th line guy. He has been better than all of our other 4th line guys. He could get most of those game in before Christmas break.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I respectively disagree with your opinion

I agree with Heusy. The only fight that has been worth anything is the Calgary fight. The rest have been worthless.

Couple that with the fact he is not a good hockey player and actually hurts the team on the ice, he is not needed. This is just RC stuck in the "teams need an enforcer" past (even though Boll is not a good enforcer).

Give me an enforcer that can, I dont know, actually play hockey at a decent level, and I would be extremely happy. Boll is just not it.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
The biggest problem with the 4th line is the coach not playing them more than 6 minutes a game, (other than the dust up minutes in Calgary). This is also the problem with the 1st line. Perry's feet are stuck in the mud and they get slower as the game goes on.

If he would play these guys 10-12 minutes a night, allow them to get in the flow of the game and not dress an enforcer, they'd be fine. Just proves again that RC has not changed and the he will not be successful in this league.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
RC is just not going to stop playing Boll, he loves having that one useless fighter on the team. Even with Thompson back, that line is still going to get the 5-6 minutes they are now.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
RC is just not going to stop playing Boll, he loves having that one useless fighter on the team. Even with Thompson back, that line is still going to get the 5-6 minutes they are now.

Absolutely correct and RC won't figure out that he's killed Perry's and soon to be Getzlaf's 32 year old legs. RC in his head and only his head, believes you can win the cup with 3 lines.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I hope not but I have seen nothing from Randy that suggests otherwise. A 4th line of Garbutt-Thompson-Crammer is a solid line and should get minutes.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Wags lost his spot, only seems fair that the final piece of the Ryan trade should finally get his shot.

Also, I totally freaked out at the title because I misread it and thought we had gotten Bollig.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
His most recent fight against Calgary was purposeful, they were running around despite having a big lead, so Boll took a big run at someone and then dropped the gloves with Engelland.

Otherwise I'd agree that he's been fairly useless. I believe we already have enough scrappy players who can stand up for their teammates.

The revenge fight against Nolan in the second LA game (for sucker punching Getzlaf in game 1) and the Lucic fight were also doing his job. The others have been pointless fights.

Let's look a little more critically

11/1 vs Clifford
Boll 59.2%
Draw 39.2%
Clifford 5.6%

I'm all for Clifford getting beaten at every opportunity, probably the only time this year he's looked like a legitimate fighter.

11/2 vs Sestito
Draw 48.8%
Sestito 40.5%
Boll 10.7%

A prime example of how an enforcer is supposed to do his job. Unfortunately, that guy's name was Sestito.

11/6 vs Engalland
Draw 49.3%
Engalland 43.5%
Boll 7.2%

Pointless, staged fight that a mix of hugging and getting his face repeatedly punched.

11/12 vs Bass
Draw 64.1%
Boll 28.2%
Bass 7.7%

Fights the wrong guy, and...yawn.

11/20 vs Nolan
Nolan 62.7%
Draw 21.6%
Boll 15.7%

Tries to do his job, but actually sends the message that a cheap-shot to our captain carries no real penalties when he gets his ass handed to him.

12/3 vs Lucic
Boll 57.1%
Draw 28.6%
Lucic 14.3%

Hands down his best work of the year getting a top line guy off the ice, but pretty yawn inducing as an actual fight.

12/3 vs Engalland
Boll 46.2%
Draw 38.5%
Engalland 15.4%

Doing his job laying a return cheap shot, but the only part of the fight he wins is punching a guy who's laying on the ice.

Not on YouTube yet, but watch it here

It's simply not an impressive body of work. He's usually the very distant 3rd choice in his "draws", and his wins are squeaked out with one exception. This is not the stuff that legendary enforcers are made of. It's not even the stuff that competent 4th line goons are made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad