2016-17 Stockton Heat (and ADK Thunder) Thread [PLAYOFF BOUND!]

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
The Heat will be very lucky to make the playoffs. They were a team that struggled to score goals and let most of their top scorers go. They were also a poor defensive team that lost their best 2 defensemen.

But this time, they have their best goalie. Atleast we think of Gillies like this.

I don´t think it´s possible to get worse goaltending this year, unless Mason McD plays 50 games this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But this time, they have their best goalie. Atleast we think of Gillies like this.

I don´t think it´s possible to get worse goaltending this year, unless Mason McD plays 50 games this year.
Goaltending will be better but the Flames don't seem to care if their AHL club wins. Young teams very rarely do well in the AHL, teams with veterans are generally the better teams.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
What makes our system any better than 30 others? Many other teams are loaded with AHL experience, where ours is not. All it takes is Janko/Dman to make the big team and we're lacking any real top depth. Run into the usual injury bug and we're in trouble. I do think that with a defensive system and Gillies in top form we could win many tight games, but I really don't think we're a top team. I'll stick to my outlook and be happy making the PO's.

2 years ago in Adirondack the players were developing rather impressively. The move to Stockton really messed with how prepared players and staff were at the beginning of last season. Thus the dramatic thud last year. The only players that thrived were the older ones that were pretty much as good as they were ever going to be.

This year you could see the preparation in everything the team did in Penticton.

The Heat this summer hired a new Conditioning and strength coach that has done some very good things with existing NHLers. The impact of his addition will be seen relatively quickly. The other great add was the new goaltending coach Alan Selby that helped Matt Murray, McKenzie Blackwood and Carter Hutton in the past couple years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/thunder-bay-goalie-zulianello-1.3584090

In regards to Janko and a Dman that means players are being sent down.

As long as Poirier, Klimchuck, Andersson (if he stays), Kylington, Wotherspoon, Daniel Prybil, Morrison, and Mangiapane develop the team is in pretty good shape. If the team flounders like last year in developing these younger players it would be a disaster. Essentially the ceiling on Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Morrison, and Wotherspoon disappears. Time is starting to run low on getting these guys ready for the NHL.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
2 years ago in Adirondack the players were developing rather impressively. The move to Stockton really messed with how prepared players and staff were at the beginning of last season. Thus the dramatic thud last year. The only players that thrived were the older ones that were pretty much as good as they were ever going to be.

This year you could see the preparation in everything the team did in Penticton.

The Heat this summer hired a new Conditioning and strength coach that has done some very good things with existing NHLers. The impact of his addition will be seen relatively quickly. The other great add was the new goaltending coach Alan Selby that helped Matt Murray, McKenzie Blackwood and Carter Hutton in the past couple years.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/thunder-bay-goalie-zulianello-1.3584090

In regards to Janko and a Dman that means players are being sent down.

As long as Poirier, Klimchuck, Andersson (if he stays), Kylington, Wotherspoon, Daniel Prybil, Morrison, and Mangiapane develop the team is in pretty good shape. If the team flounders like last year in developing these younger players it would be a disaster. Essentially the ceiling on Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Morrison, and Wotherspoon disappears. Time is starting to run low on getting these guys ready for the NHL.

I agree that changing farm teams every couple years is detrimental to development, but I just don't see the offense you see to be a top team. I think we lack top end players on both O & D, but there is depth for mid level players.
I think the wild card is Gillies. But I hope you are right!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Heat released their training camp schedule and roster today.

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

Monday, October 3
10:15 a.m. On-Ice Practice Stockton Arena
11:45 a.m. Goalie On-Ice Session Stockton Arena

Tuesday, October 4

Wednesday, October 5
11:30 a.m. Goalie On-Ice Session Stockton Arena

Thursday, October 6
11:00 a.m. On-Ice Practice Oak Park Ice Arena

Friday, October 7
10:00 a.m. Pre-game Skate Stockton Arena
7:30 p.m. Home Game vs. Tucson Stockton Arena

Saturday, October 8
11:15 a.m. Pre-game Skate (Non-Game Players) Stockton Arena
7:00 p.m. Road Game at Bakersfield Rabobank Arena

Sunday, October 9
3:00 p.m. Fan Fest (Open to Public) Stockton Arena

Training Camp Roster
Goaltenders
--- --- --- Player --- --- --- | -- -- Contract Status -- -- | ----- ----- ----- ----- 2015-16 Club(s) ----- ----- ----- ----- | ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Notes ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Ryan Faragher | Tryout | Utah Grizzlies (ECHL), San Diego Gulls (AHL) |
Jon Gillies | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Mason McDonald | NHL Contract | Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) |

Defensemen
--- --- --- Player --- --- --- | -- -- Contract Status -- -- | ----- ----- ----- ----- 2015-16 Club(s) ----- ----- ----- ----- | ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Notes ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Rasmus Andersson | NHL Contract | Barrie Colts (AHL) |
Ryan Culkin | NHL Contract | Adirondack Thunder (ECHL), Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Kayle Doetzel | Tryout | Red Deer Rebels (WHL) |
Roman Dyukov | AHL Contract | Yunost Minsk (BEL) |
Stepan Falkovsky | Unsigned Prospect | Ottawa 67s (OHL) |
Keegan Kanzig | NHL Contract | Calgary Hitmen (WHL), Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Oliver Kylington | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL), Calgary Flames (NHL) |
Kenney Morrison | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Alex Wall | Tryout | Uni. of New Brunswick (CIS), Adirondack Thunder (ECHL) |

Forwards
Mikkel Aagaard | Tryout | Niagara IceDogs (OHL), Sudbury Wolves (OHL) |
Mike Angelidis | AHL Contract | Syracuse Crunch (AHL), Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) |
Matt Bailey | AHL Contract | San Diego Gulls (AHL) |
Austin Carroll | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Andrew Cherniwchan | Tryout | Providence Bruins (AHL) |
Jamie Devane | AHL Contract | Milwaukee Admirals (AHL) |
Matt Frattin | AHL Contract | Toronto Marlies (AHL) |
Curt Gogol | Tryout | Colorado Eagles (ECHL), Ontario Reign (AHL) |
Mark Jankowski | NHL Contract | Providence College (NCAA), Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Morgan Klimchuk | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Dennis Kravchenko | Tryout | Umass-Amherst (NCAA) |
Phil Lane | Tryout | Springfield Falcons (AHL) |
Ryan Lomberg | AHL Contract | Adirondack Thunder (ECHL), Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Andrew Mangiapane | NHL Contract | Barrie Colts (AHL) |
Emile Poirier | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL), Calgary Flames (NHL) |
Brett Pollock | NHL Contract | Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL), Stockton Heat (AHL) |
Hunter Smith | NHL Contract | Stockton Heat (AHL) |

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wish they would've kept/signed a guy like Ben Street. Would be nice if they had a consistent veteran scoring presence on the team instead of a bunch of guys who are going to be at half a point-per-game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wish they would've kept/signed a guy like Ben Street. Would be nice if they had a consistent veteran scoring presence on the team instead of a bunch of guys who are going to be at half a point-per-game.
I can't say I disagree at all. This si why I wanted Agostino to stick around, he's a little bit below the Street's and the Grant's but he's younger with more upside. I also like that he is versatile enough to play both wings.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's weird to me that F. Hamilton got a one-way yet they weren't willing to give D Grant a one-way deal. He would have been better than most of the guys we have in camp for bottom line/13th forwards

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's weird to me that F. Hamilton got a one-way yet they weren't willing to give D Grant a one-way deal. He would have been better than most of the guys we have in camp for bottom line/13th forwards

Hamilton is younger, more versatile and a RH shot. There is also the question if Grant's season was a one off, because his best season prior was 21 goals and 38 points in 73 games.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Because he's not an NHLer. He was 25/26 and 1 point in 15 games in a career year. Hamilton is two years younger and his (mainly) defensive skills are more suited for the NHL and he'll most likely score slightly more often. Of course, being Dougie's brother also has something to do with it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Because he's not an NHLer. He was 25/26 and 1 point in 15 games in a career year. Hamilton is two years younger and his (mainly) defensive skills are more suited for the NHL and he'll most likely score slightly more often. Of course, being Dougie's brother also has something to do with it.

A little off topic, but I find it impossible to read "Dougie" without mentally pronouncing it "Doogie".

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Aagaard and Doetzel get AHL contracts while Falkovsky's is AHL/ECHL.

Luke Adam, Colby Robak and Mikhail Grigorev are on PTO's.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
weird that it took so long to get Grigoriev, Robak and Adam on AHL tryouts. I would really like to see Adam added to the team.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'd like to see Kylington with a solid veteran in an ideal world. I think it would help his development. Someone he can learn from, and would maybe cover his mistakes so he can try different things.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd like to see Kylington with a solid veteran in an ideal world. I think it would help his development. Someone he can learn from, and would maybe cover his mistakes so he can try different things.
If only the Heat had one of those :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad